The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaston

Kilday - Miller - O'Ware - Russell

J McCluskey - Pepper - Tidser - Forbes

MacDonald - Caldwell

On paper, that's probably our strongest team. Forbes on the left hand side of midfield is a concern, but Russell has the legs to get up and down the left hand side, which would allow Forbes to slot in as almost a 3rd central midfielder at times.

Gives us some decent options from the bench in McKee, S. McCluskey, Crighton, Milojevic, but I still think we could do with another player or two added to the squad to beef things up a bit, with a wide midfielder being the top of the list.

So close SALC.

I've always like big Milojevic and he has done well when I've seen him. Playing with Crighton maybe made him look worse. He was one of the best defenders in this league last season by all accounts.

Either way, him or O'Ware would be fine, as long as its not Lamie or Crighton.

Personally Id play.

Gaston

Kilday Miller Milojevic Russell.

J.McCluskey Pepper Tidser Forbes.

McDonald Caldwell.

Would mind that, but think we might be a bit flimsy defensively.

Assuming the budget for a holding midfielder is gone, Id play O'Ware there in a diamond. Peppers energy beside Tidser and Forbes at the top of it.

Edit to add that with Tidser not likely to be far, O'Ware shouldnt have to contribute to the attacking play too much, masking any failings there

I expect Duffy to go with

Gaston

Kilday O'Ware Lamie Russell

McCluskey Miller Tidser Forbes

Caldwell

Peaso

He clearly has some problem with Pepper, and we do need a more defensive minded player in a midfield with McCluskey, Tidser and Forbes.

If he plays a lone striker and it's not Peaso, or plays Tidser anywhere other than central midfield then he's off his head. Just need to wait and see, I suppose.

What about the Duff Factor?

No longer a handicap?

Yeah, but we're talking about Michael 'who the f**k is Iniesta' Tidser here. Provided Duffy doesn't play him at right wing-back or something, he is the kind of player who can single-handedly drag a team to a title.

Excellent work by Duffy. First Caldwell and MacDonald, now Tidser - arguably our most talented player of the last 10 years.

Noted we are 16/5 for the league on Bet 365 - bookies could be set to take a hammering.

Calm down please.

We're still hamstrung with Duffy in charge and poor options in defence. We're by no means favourites for the title at this stage.

Yeah, but we're talking about Michael 'who the f**k is Iniesta' Tidser here. Provided Duffy doesn't play him at right wing-back or something, he is the kind of player who can single-handedly drag a team to a title.

Ross Forbes has more title medals tbf ;)

Fair play to Morton though.

From what I remember of Tidser in games vs us, the obvious high esteem he is held in by greenocktonians, and his period in England, fact he was in demand up here - he'll have been in a strong position to command a hefty weekly wage - and with it being a 2 and a half year contract, it's clearly a sizeable 6 figure commitment from the sweetieman he has signed up to.

Dingwall and Paisley (and I wouldn't discount ourselves and possibly Motherwell) were interested in him, and I'd be quite surprised if Tidser hasn't got a contract on comparable weekly wages that the desperate bottom two of the Premiership (and yes, maybe ourselves) would have been offering him.

I'm sure there's break clauses built in, like if should Morton not go up, or next season if an offer of X amount comes in he can talk to bidding club - but on the face of it, this will be a costly contract but, from the outside, a bold and ambitious statement of intent from the club. (and sends out completely different message than that of Novo, O'Connor and all the other wasters you fucked your season up with last year).

Along with the return of another greenocktonian messiah in McDonald, and the signing of Forbes (I think both are 18 months each? Right/wrong? And McD with a coaching role too?), there's obviously a lot of cash being flung about down there just now.

Hope Forbes rediscovers some of his brilliance with the Greenocks though, seriously - he could do with upping his workrate though.

With Duffy on a two year contract too - Fiscally, this appears to me, that Auld Man Rae is backing Duffy to the hilt - and making a huge bet on Morton getting up to the Championship this season, to try catch the increased revenue in that league while at least one (likely two) of the Edinburgh clubs and the Govan Zombies (if they don't die or get relegated or demoted due to admin or worse (better?)) are in it. Low home crowds, little league prize money, and a season in the third tier of mostly part time seasiders, that up til now has looked from a couple of leagues above, and limited reading of some Morton threads, shows that this season so far for Morton has been a monumental disappointment and fail - so it looks like Rae is putting it all on red - and hoping this bet comes off (he hasn't got a good history of it though).

Not that Rae will be out of pocket - he'll just add another half million to Morton debt to GC - if that happens, you surely have to fear for the future of the club though? That would push Morton past the £3m debt wouldn't it?

I wish Morton well in their win or bust gamble.

Especially with Jim Duffy there.

Shudders :yucky

:guns Dick Campbellesque. :barf

Shudders again. :wacko:

Didn't in his past. But i see your point / optimism since it's the seaside league. What happens if he isn't the same player he was first time round though?

Ross Forbes has more title medals tbf ;)

He had a full team of stars to help him get his.

Morton, have half a team of stars so far.

Should be good enough to be top before the end of this season in the seaside league, but I remember previous Morton title challenges that have ended in whimpers (Not a dig, just realism).

Rae is throwing down the gauntlet to Duffy. Win the league and win it well or leave. With Dunfermline clinging on to a title challenge it's really time to start motoring away from them. But I wonder with these players coming back to Morton now - was it worth letting them all go in the first place? Tidsers transfer was the most costly 50 grand Dougie ever got.

Archived