Wood burner/multi fuel stoves

Mambostaggie

Had a friend of a friend come round and he's going to do the whole job including breaking out the fire and plastering up afterwards for a very reasonable rate, a third of the price we were quoted by several stove shops. Going for a 6kw on his advice.

What make are you going for?

Would stay clear of the cheap eBay ones. Not worth it.

A house I rented had one. No good at all.

Do you need a double skin flue for an enclosed chimney?

Just curious :-)

Good luck.

I have a 5kw one on my boat and fitted a 12kw one in my house down in Cheshire when I lived there.....they're really good in terms of heating the place but get your chimney swept first.

Also.....make sure you get a carbon monoxide detector......the one on my boat malfunctioned last Winter and I nearly killed myself!

What make are you going for?

Would stay clear of the cheap eBay ones. Not worth it.

A house I rented had one. No good at all.

Do you need a double skin flue for an enclosed chimney?

Just curious :-)

Good luck.

As far as I'm aware we just need to get the chimney lined, haven't picked the exact model of stove yet but narrowed it down to a choice of 3, all British made. Guy that's installing it is doing it as a homer so can't start until the end of the month which kinda holds us back a wee bit with decorating and ordering carpets and stuff for the living room but hey ho!

I went for a clearview vision 9 kW, multi fuel in my house and I'm delighted with it.

The level of control is awesome. I can fill it up at night, put it on low, and it'll still be going in the morning, so less hassle lighting fires everyday and steady heat.

I fitted it all myself, very straight forward, and cored a direct air supply through the chimney as it was in a new build and required by building control. You don't have to do this, but if not you should have ventilation in the floor or wall. The stove supplier fitted the air kit to the stove prior to purchase, 5 minute job.

My chimney was clay lined so didn't need another liner, but various options available depending on the circumstances.

As far as I'm aware we just need to get the chimney lined, haven't picked the exact model of stove yet but narrowed it down to a choice of 3, all British made. Guy that's installing it is doing it as a homer so can't start until the end of the month which kinda holds us back a wee bit with decorating and ordering carpets and stuff for the living room but hey ho!

All good. We got a Charnwood Country but only because it was a 2nd hand one. Picked it up for £200. Handy if you don't need the twin skinned flue as somebody else mentioned it's over £100 per metre !!

Only other thing I would add is try to get as large a viewing pane as possible.

Good luck

Archived