Orlando

scmwell

What are folks experiences like of hiring a car in Orlando / LBV.

The price seems to be mental from what I can remember reading a few years ago, we’ve booked up and am looking to see if picking one up at the airport is best or if I should wait til later - I’m aware that most of the big names will charge more at the airport but there are a few smaller ones which seem to be reasonable albeit based offsite by a shuttle.

Any recommendations on who to avoid?

4 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

The price seems to be mental from what I can remember reading a few years ago, we’ve booked up and am looking to see if picking one up at the airport is best or if I should wait til later - I’m aware that most of the big names will charge more at the airport but there are a few smaller ones which seem to be reasonable albeit based offsite by a shuttle.

Hold off hiring a car for now I'd say. Most rental places sold their fleet during covid and haven't fully recovered then which is why prices are high. They've come down a bit recently (was about £1k for two weeks, now £700-£800).

Definitely pick up and drop off at airport is the best option as well.

4 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Brilliant! It's our first time. We are only doing disney as I think that will be enough for our 4 and 6 year old. Maybe try and persuade @Rugsterto do Discovery Cove. 

First time, I'd definitely say do Disney only. You'll honestly be wasted adding Universal onto it as well as you won't get a proper run at everything in a fortnight, your first time there you'll be wanting to hit every park twice, Magic Kingdom, probably 3 times.

Also my tip for a 4 and 6 year old, take a stroller with you or check if the house you're renting (if that's what you're doing) already has one. Both of them will have tired wee legs and it'll be a godsend in middle of the day, trust me. It's also perfect for hanging bags off of.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

First time, I'd definitely say do Disney only. You'll honestly be wasted adding Universal onto it as well as you won't get a proper run at everything in a fortnight, your first time there you'll be wanting to hit every park twice, Magic Kingdom, probably 3 times.

Also my tip for a 4 and 6 year old, take a stroller with you or check if the house you're renting (if that's what you're doing) already has one. Both of them will have tired wee legs and it'll be a godsend in middle of the day, trust me. It's also perfect for hanging bags off of.

Thanks!

Definitely getting a pram for the 4 year old. I'm hiring a mobility scooter as the Myeloma has fucked my back so I wouldn't be able to stand in the queues so the 6 year old can sit on my knee! 

We have our villa booked staying in Kissimmee. Doing a flydrive with BA so that's booked too. 

Cannae wait. 

https://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk/
Email this guy on Andy @ discountfloridacarhire.co.uk 

That website is smashing. Been reading the FAQs and stuff and a lot of good info.

Will hold off on cars until nearer the time. It’s 198 days for us, just booked yesterday. Doing the direct flight from Edinburgh, taking our 2 year old (we fly back on her 3rd birthday) so think it would be too much hassle to do all the changing at airports. Plan on doing Disney but will possibly look at getting a day ticket at universal.

Going to be very different than when we went on our honeymoon in 2017.

19 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

19 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Thanks!

Definitely getting a pram for the 4 year old. I'm hiring a mobility scooter as the Myeloma has fucked my back so I wouldn't be able to stand in the queues so the 6 year old can sit on my knee! 

We have our villa booked staying in Kissimmee. Doing a flydrive with BA so that's booked too. 

Cannae wait. 

Here just now. Firstly stick to disney just now HSF, its absolutely fantastic, parades start back next month and its rapidly going back to normal universal doesnt have much for really young kids. LBV scooter rentals are really good, but make sure you get a car thats big enough, a mini van should be fine with the back seats down, we do this for my dad all the time, but he does take his own scooter. Make your park reservations now, but keep in mind that in Sept/Oct/Nov on some nights they close the magic kingdom early for the Halloween/xmas parties and you need to pay extra, id recommend doing epcot or HS on those nights as both should have evening fireworks that you’ll see. Take your blue badge with you, you’ll get parked no bother or at disney just explain to the car park staff you have a scooter and they should let you park at the front. Also the waterparks are excellent fun :) 

We have a fold up pram which we were able to take as cabin baggage and that meant we could fire the wee man in it in the immigration queue. At 4 your youngest should be able to get on most of the big disney rides, my wee guy is almost 4 and got on rise of the resistance and loved it. But prams are great as previously posted by DJ they ensure the kids can sleep during the build up to the fireworks etc and essentially buy you an extra couple hours where you’d otherwise have to go home. 

Get onto disney online for a DAS pass, explain your condition and why you cant queue and they’ll give you exemption. 
Villa wise where are you staying? 

Other thing re Discovery cove, i think your youngest would be too young for the dolphin swim. But if you go to sea world, you can do a dolphin feed/meet experience for $25 which was honestly exceptional. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

On 02/02/2022 at 21:07, MP_MFC said:

That website is smashing. Been reading the FAQs and stuff and a lot of good info.

Will hold off on cars until nearer the time. It’s 198 days for us, just booked yesterday. Doing the direct flight from Edinburgh, taking our 2 year old (we fly back on her 3rd birthday) so think it would be too much hassle to do all the changing at airports. Plan on doing Disney but will possibly look at getting a day ticket at universal.

Going to be very different than when we went on our honeymoon in 2017.

Just to say, the car hire site is great but make sure you email Andy for one of his offline prices. They tend to be much cheaper than the online.. currently £1k cheaper for me and he said to keep asking for updates over the next few months and if it gets cheaper he will amend my booking.

On 02/02/2022 at 08:13, MP_MFC said:

Not Florida, but I was just pricing up cost of a car from Newark airport for 3 weeks in September. The last time I booked a car there in 2016 it cost £500 for 2 weeks. Now for 3 weeks the prices being quoted are almost £2500. That's absolutely mental.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up for anyone going and holding off booking their car, I queried with DFCH about if a new quote now would work out cheaper than the original - turns out it would infact be approx £200 dearer.