Orlando

scmwell

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 08:13, bobbydazzler said:

Heading to Orlando in October, what would be best way to get to Tampa for the NFL? I know there is a sort of shuttle to Busch Gardens each day, could that be used and say an uber/taxi from there?

I wouldnt walk about the area beside Raymond James Stadium, in particular the bit behind it. The bit in front is just vast ballfields owned by the Yankees, its not like very walkable from the city. i found this for you, maybe keep an eye open and book with them? Depends who they are playing as some bigger teams will run away supporters buses (Dallas Cowboys) from Orlando. 
https://www.experiencekissimmee.com/things-do/spectator-sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers

I wouldnt do what youve suggested as Busch Gardens shuts earlier than a Buc game will finish so you’ll be stranded. Why not drive through, book a hotel, leave the car there (if you are wanting a beer (which will cost a fortune)) and drive back the next day?   

5 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I wouldnt walk about the area beside Raymond James Stadium, in particular the bit behind it. The bit in front is just vast ballfields owned by the Yankees, its not like very walkable from the city. i found this for you, maybe keep an eye open and book with them? Depends who they are playing as some bigger teams will run away supporters buses (Dallas Cowboys) from Orlando. 
https://www.experiencekissimmee.com/things-do/spectator-sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers

I wouldnt do what youve suggested as Busch Gardens shuts earlier than a Buc game will finish so you’ll be stranded. Why not drive through, book a hotel, leave the car there (if you are wanting a beer (which will cost a fortune)) and drive back the next day?   

Thanks mate, really appreciate the knowledge, will have a look at the site you sent think that may be our best bet without having to drive ourselves.

If anyone is looking for car hire, specifically Alamo, I’d use this site: https://partners.rentalcar.com/ustravel-nl/?irgwc=1&mcid=ImpactRadius:10078:304339&irgwc=1&mcid=ImpactRadius%3A10078%3A304339&ir_cid=27d00744Na50f11ec86a2475ab09e298

priced in euros but much cheaper than anywhere else I can see for Alamo and comes with all the usual insurances etc and allows the skipping the counter that others don’t. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 02:13, bobbydazzler said:

Heading to Orlando in October, what would be best way to get to Tampa for the NFL? I know there is a sort of shuttle to Busch Gardens each day, could that be used and say an uber/taxi from there?

Just a general note that Uber will have insane surcharges around the end of any NFL game, and taxis tend to be scarce. There is a designated pickup area east of the stadium a little ways, so it should be reasonably safe if you want to head there and wait. While there is mass transit in Tampa, the city doesn’t provide any special bus services to games.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just a general note that Uber will have insane surcharges around the end of any NFL game, and taxis tend to be scarce. There is a designated pickup area east of the stadium a little ways, so it should be reasonably safe if you want to head there and wait. While there is mass transit in Tampa, the city doesn’t provide any special bus services to games.

thanks for the advice mate, top man, much appreciated 

7 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

thanks for the advice mate, top man, much appreciated 

Only aside from that is if you use lyft over there you get 1 month free for trial of their premium service meaning you can prebook a lyft car a few days before which takes some of the bite out of the cost. But in perspective we took a lyft from a ball game in San Diego for $16 and uber were surge pricing at $45 for same trip.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Only aside from that is if you use lyft over there you get 1 month free for trial of their premium service meaning you can prebook a lyft car a few days before which takes some of the bite out of the cost. But in perspective we took a lyft from a ball game in San Diego for $16 and uber were surge pricing at $45 for same trip.

At least in the U.S., the Uber surge pricing is mental (there was reports least year of Dallas Cowboy Uber pickups in the 5x range after a game). And God help you if you are anywhere within 15-20 miles of a venue/area when surge pricing hits, because your ride will be dropped like a hot potato. Uber in general seems to be dropping more rides after acceptance than before.

Lyft does generally seem a better option to me, both price and vehicle/driver wise, but I’m not sure you could make the pre-book work for an NFL game with the wildly varying length of the games.

• 1 month later...

Booked up for July, wife had 90,000 virgin atlantic points so we got 3x return flight (with companion voucher) for £700 taxes, car for 17 nights for £800 (Andy at discount florida car hire) and found a really nice renovated condo for £1600 for the 17 nights. This puts us there over 4th July which is something we’ve never experienced over there so absolutely buzzing about this one. Whole thing for just over £3100. 

28 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Booked up for July, wife had 90,000 virgin atlantic points so we got 3x return flight (with companion voucher) for £700 taxes, car for 17 nights for £800 (Andy at discount florida car hire) and found a really nice renovated condo for £1600 for the 17 nights. This puts us there over 4th July which is something we’ve never experienced over there so absolutely buzzing about this one. Whole thing for just over £3100. 

There's something going on in Germany around that time, can't remember what.. :whistle

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

ive never been a big international football fan

Fair enough. I booked a flight from Manchester to Germany for it, forgetting I'd already booked a holiday in Spain just before it so I've had to book another flight from Spain to Germany. :1eye Sorry for going off topic..

23 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

https://partners.rentalcar.com/simonasacri-viaggi/

Keep an eye on there for your car hire for your dates, not sure what you're hiring but it's always coming in cheaper than anywhere for my dates in February (14 days standard SUV currently booked for £670) it's a legit site via Alamo.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

https://partners.rentalcar.com/simonasacri-viaggi/

Keep an eye on there for your car hire for your dates, not sure what you're hiring but it's always coming in cheaper than anywhere for my dates in February (14 days standard SUV currently booked for £670) it's a legit site via Alamo.

Just had a look there for equivalent of our car its €1360 for the 17 nights. So think our current deal cheaper. 

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just had a look there for equivalent of our car its €1360 for the 17 nights. So think our current deal cheaper. 

Decent - heard nothing but good things about Andy, the car hire price will probably drop if you check it every so often and he's good at rebooking and will sometimes be able to match if you do find it cheaper. 

12 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Tickets booked for the Halloween horror night at Universal in October, must say I am getting dragged to this, being scared out my pants not my idea of fun at all.

Im not into the big scare things but from what ive heard from friends and seen on social media its some night. We looked at doing Mickeys not so scary halloween this october and it was about £450 for the three of us, so we’re going to just get a sea world annual pass and do their kid friendly event and get a few visits. 

6 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Decent - heard nothing but good things about Andy, the car hire price will probably drop if you check it every so often and he's good at rebooking and will sometimes be able to match if you do find it cheaper. 

Yes, have been using him for a while now, think it was HSF who pointed him out on here and the service is fantastic. 

On 23/08/2023 at 08:12, bobbydazzler said:

Tickets booked for the Halloween horror night at Universal in October, must say I am getting dragged to this, being scared out my pants not my idea of fun at all.

I'm a big fan of Halloween horror Nights. I wasn't sure if I'd like it the first time I went, but it is some laugh! The haunted houses are great to look at inside and you will definitely get some jump scares but nothing outrageous (imo)!

Get express passes if you can afford it, makes the evening much more enjoyable if you can do things at your own pace, don't be surprised to see queues of over 2hrs between 8 and 11pm. With an express pass the longest we waited the last time was 15 mins.