The queen is dead

Richey Edwards

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a 52 year old who loves The Smiths...

The Smiths - The Smiths will always mean everything to me. I remember hearing What Difference, This Charming Man and Hand in Glove on the John Peel Show and I was blown away.

I also have to agree with Mighty Meadow about Hatful Of Hollow, fantastic album that always reminds me of a great holiday I had in Corfu in 1984 when I just drank. shagged and listened to The Smiths...good times.

Brilliant lp & a super gesture from Steven Wright who took the picture of The Smiths at Salford Lads Club that is on the inside of the gatefold sleeve of the lp. Support the work of Salford Lads Club by buying the exclusive t-shirts (iunder £20 inc P+P if in UK).

By the way, I was there on the night of the opening of the Smiths Room at the club & I'm a mate of the lad who did the opening ceremony, a lovely lad from Whitburn, although he's moved up in the world & lives in Wishaw now.

Grimbo

P.s. I still love The Smiths - The Smiths but recently I've gone back to listening to Strangeways, the lp they never toured, sadly.

I have a Salford Lads Club t-shirt and had my photo taken by Steve Wright for an exhibition on Smiths fans. True Story.

I also got my picture taken by Wrighty, it got used in a piece in the guardian about 10 years ago mind.

img050.jpg

Grimbo

As a 52 year old who loves The Smiths...

The Smiths - The Smiths will always mean everything to me. I remember hearing What Difference, This Charming Man and Hand in Glove on the John Peel Show and I was blown away.

I also have to agree with Mighty Meadow about Hatful Of Hollow, fantastic album that always reminds me of a great holiday I had in Corfu in 1984 when I just drank. shagged and listened to The Smiths...good times.

The singles version of Hand in Glove is so much better than the album version and the single version of This Charming Man is so much better than the version on Hatful of Hollow.

I'd say you could make an argument for any Smiths album being their best without being labeled a loony but for me I'd probably go for Meat is Murder.

Depending on whether you include 'How Soon As Now' (which wasn't originally on the album) it either has 3 or 4 of the best tracks they ever did out of 9 or 10 tracks on the album (Headmaster Ritual, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Barbarism Begins At Home + How Soon Is Now). Most of the rest of the tracks are really good, under rated tracks in their canon - I Want The One I Can't Have, Nowhere Fast, Well I Wonder etc.

Hatful of Hollow is really good all the way through but it only really has one of their best songs on it (William). The Queen Is Dead is a little uneven, it has some great songs on it but the Frankly Mr Shankly, I Know Its Over (Rank version is better than the studio version) and Never Had No One Ever is not really essential Smiths.

Archived