League Vacancies

HibeeJibee

So football should not be about fans? if so, what's the point of organised professional football?

I think the idea that football for the fans Is a romanticised notion, your second point is irrelevant to me as I don't think we should really be separating between professional and amateur football. The point is for the best players to be playing out the best facilities, depending on where clubs are within that will depend where they end up in the pyramid.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How dare these relics have supports that reach into triple figures!

That's not what a professional league is about.

On that basis hearts hibs and rangers shouldn't be playing championship fitba as they have bigger crowds than the premiership then eh ;)

It's an open forum where views can be expressed, and if you think any of these prospective new clubs do anything other than damage the credibility of the LL and the Pyramid in general then you need to open your eyes.

Junior fitba is run by dinosaurs, you and I both know that, and therefore you should know why the LL (sadly in my opinion) holds very little attraction to Junior clubs.

As for the fan base aspect, you're kidding yourself if applications (not genuine merit based promotion) should not take consideration of fan base. What good is a league if nobody watches it? Edinburgh CIty are LL Champions and all credit to them, but haven't they attracted less than 50 to some league games?

No sure what your getting at with City if you are a well run club with a hard working committee (you should know all about that can't be easy at your club or many clubs for that) and with finances in the right place to survive then it does nae matter if there's 10 or 10 000 fans coming through the gate ?

Right, they only got a mention here because of the groundshare with Airdrie angle in an earlier post, if as appeared to be suggested that would be something separate from Edusport's application. Does anyone know for sure whether Duns and Coldstream applied? Think I have seen a newspaper link confirming the former would be, but nothing stronger than a "believed to be" in the latter case.

I know it's a bit sad replying to my own message like this, but have been informed offline that it is not safe to assume Coldstream have applied, so if there are five applicants (and the guy who posted that appears to be well-connected at Whitehill Welfare and likely to be in the loop) and Burntisland Shipyard have also (as very much appears to be the case) given the process the bodyswerve there may be a surprise with the groundshare at Alloa being the snippet of info that might point to something.

My recollection is that the list of applicants was never officially revealed last time around, although mention was made that at least one club had publicly claimed to have applied when in reality they hadn't. We got it posted on P&B unofficially by one of the top officeholders in the SJFA.

Do we know how many places are up for grabs? Is it just the 2 to take the league up to 16 or is there a chance of more places being available if non licenced clubs are removed from the league?

No, because it also depends on how many additional vacancies, if any, are opened up by existing members failing to be licensed by May (that could be any or all of BSC Glasgow, Vale of Leithen, Stirling Uni and Edinburgh Uni) or by Edinburgh City gaining promotion and "Club 42" (almost certainly Montrose) being relegated to the Highland League rather than the LL.

The pyramid could and should have been so much better.

Look at the clubs or are they even clubs that are being talked about as being a part of it!

The whole thing is a farce.

I keep hoping to read that its being revamped but it just seems to be getting more ludicrous by the day!

Bankies, we've only been established for the best part of 2 seasons but there was a lot of talk about building the pyramid before that.

The structure isn't perfect, if perfection is your desire BUT what exactly did your team bring to the table?

It will get "revamped" in time, I'd like to see a 2 down from SPGL2 so that the HL & LL champs both go up but who knows what the future may bring.

Small acorns lad.

Grimbo

Ask any club treasurer if they`d rather have Clydebank visit their ground in a League match or any Lowland League club and you`ll have your answer.

Of course there have to be standards with regards to ground criteria etc but allowing new start clubs to share at existing senior grounds is surely not the way to go about setting up a league?

The League would be far better served by leaving their current membership and making clubs like Soccer AM,BS and Cumbernauld Colts play their way into the league through the EoS or SoS leagues.Edusport cant win the SoS League!

These entities have shown no interest in joining either of the existing set ups or the Juniors for that matter.

They are basically chancers who see this as a way of jumping the queue and they WILL damage the credibility of the pyramid.

Ask any club treasurer if they`d rather have Clydebank visit their ground in a League match or any Lowland League club and you`ll have your answer. love to be in the Scottish Cup every year.

Of course there have to be standards with regards to ground criteria etc but allowing new start clubs to share at existing senior grounds is surely not the way to go about setting up a league?

The League would be far better served by leaving their current membership and making clubs like Soccer AM,BS and Cumbernauld Colts play their way into the league through the EoS or SoS leagues or WoS league.Edusport cant win the SoS League!

I agree with the above statements.

These entities have shown no interest in joining either of the existing set ups or the Juniors for that matter.

They are basically chancers who see this as a way of jumping the queue and they WILL damage the credibility of the pyramid.

Not chancers, they have seen an opportunity to progress their set-ups and due to the lack of interest from the juniors and grabbed it. Fair play to them.

If there are five applicants and the following are known to have applied:

Duns

Edusport

Cumbernauld Colts

AMsoccer

a surprise application from a junior club is not inconceivable, even if it is highly unlikely to have happened without somebody leaking info about it on here given most/all junior clubs would have to run it past their membership.

They've grabbed because they have nothing to lose.

Are you really saying that you'd rather have these clubs in the LL instead of established clubs with fans?

The West Of Scotland anomaly should have been addressed before any pyramid was started imo.The area with the largest poulation has no pyramid access,its farcical.

The acceptance of Edusport and EKFC into membership (with Regan doing lots of arm twisting behind the scenes by all accounts) has demonstrated that the SoS league is now the feeder covering the Glasgow area. I have a strong opinion on the advisability of that, but think it's better to use this thread to focus on who has applied in the here and now and their relative merits rather than what should have unfolded.

Do we know how many places are up for grabs? Is it just the 2 to take the league up to 16 or is there a chance of more places being available if non licenced clubs are removed from the league?

In theory you could have a situation where there was only 1 vacancy... i.e. - if all existing clubs got licensed, and a southerly club got relegated. If one or both of the EOS & SOS league champions was licensed you would also have a situation where Preston or Threave was relegated, and so maybe they would be allowed to go for that 1 vacancy alongside any new applicants (I haven't seen this detail confirmed anywhere).

However it looks like Montrose will finish bottom, and they'd go to HL not LL. Extra space.

And Edinburgh City might go up. Extra space.

And as mentioned on the previous page, some existing clubs haven't got licensed yet.

Various permutations.

The top juniors have made it perfectly clear that they do not want join the Lowland League but continually snipe away. All they want is to be a part of a shambolic organisation that they see themselves as the true bastions of grass roots football in the country. This is far from the truth as teams with true community links are applying to join our league.

The juniors seem to think that the pyramid will not work because they are not part of it. They are delusional as the League is growing from strength to strength with increased media coverage and sponsorship.

As far as fans are concerned, yes there are a handful of junior clubs with average gates of three figures but they are a tiny minority of all junior clubs. East Kilbride, an amateur club with no fans a couple of years ago, probably attract a higher average crowd than most Super league clubs. They are a shining example of what other 'fake' football clubs can achieve with strong community links.

The juniors can snipe all they want as we don't care. They will soon realise that they will be left behind and eventually join us through a more torturous route as the available places fill up with more community based clubs.

You see, a lot of the so called "snipers" as you label them are supporters of a Pyramid, and despair at the ridiculous direction that it appears to be heading in. I'm sure you appreciate that.

I think the idea that football for the fans Is a romanticised notion, your second point is irrelevant to me as I don't think we should really be separating between professional and amateur football. The point is for the best players to be playing out the best facilities, depending on where clubs are within that will depend where they end up in the pyramid.

Seriously? my goodness, yes this is 1st April.

If there are five applicants and the following are known to have applied:

Duns

Edusport

Cumbernauld Colts

AMsoccer

a surprise application from a junior club is not inconceivable, even if it is highly unlikely to have happened without somebody leaking info about it on here given most/all junior clubs would have to run it past their membership.

Did Civil Service Strollers not apply??

Archived