Even More Good News on Crowds

Likewise, the home support has tailed off. Quite alarmingly as well. I don't have the figures to have but about 10 years ago our average crowd was something like 4,500 - 5,000. This was when we were just into the SPL

ICT crowds since 2000:

'99-00 ... 2,282

'00-01 ... 2,133

'01-02 ... 2,046

'02-03 ... 2,182

'03-04 ... 2,375 (promoted)

'04-05 ... 4,067 - part at Aberdeen

'05-06 ... 5,061

'06-07 ... 4,879

'07-08 ... 4,753

'08-09 ... 4,457 (relegated)

'09-10 ... 3,509 (promoted)

'10-11 ... 4,526

'11-12 ... 4,023

'12-13 ... 4,038

'13-14 ... 3,558

'14-15 ... 3,722 to date

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True.

'Well and Killie are really the only clubs with consistently worsening crowds (i.e. not just small variations / drops clearly connected to form).

This can probably be explained at Killie by the ongoing fan dissatisfaction and continual Bottom 6 finishes.

Motherwell, however, finished 2nd. Twice. It does somewhat obvious defy explanation.

Has the Rangers absence somehow impacted 'Well in a way it hasn't anyone else?

The big drop the first year will be mainly down to missing out on 2 home gates against Rangers, compared to the previous season. And the drop this season is mainly down to being rubbish, you would presume. But it still falls a bit in that middle year, despite doing well.

You have to remember I suppose that despite doing well and finishing 2nd, that's hardly something which is going to get the fans rushing in when you're nowhere near 1st, and 2nd place effectively just means you get put out of Europe 2 weeks later the next season. If they had been in 2nd place in a season like this one, where there was something to play for, the crowds would obviously have been better.

The other thing is the smaller your crowds the more liable you are to even small factors affecting your crowds percentage wise, like what teams were in the top 6 with you and how many fans they normally bring. For example ICT being top 6 and Hibs and Hearts (plus Rangers being out the league) being bottom 6/out the league will have hit them hard.

ICT could get bigger crowds if they didn't play in a giant freezer..

This is an important and under considered point for a number of clubs, but particularly Inverness.

I'm not entirely sure what they can realistically do about it.

I only know 3 people in Inverness, 2 of them go to the football occasionally, and both say the biggest driver behind them not going more often is that they are sitting in the freezing cold for the best part of 2 hours.

This is an important and under considered point for a number of clubs, but particularly Inverness.

I only know 3 people in Inverness, 2 of them go to the football occasionally, and both say the biggest driver behind them not going more often is that they are sitting in the freezing cold for the best part of 2 hours.

Summer football.

--------------------------------------------

Rangers 46,362 45,744 42,657 32,375

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Closer to fucking 2 thousand.

Cheltic bordering around the 30s at best for true attendances in my opinion. Partick Thistle's drop looks a lot more shocking than it is since they traditionally rely on strong away supports. With Hearts and Hibs (almost certainly the 2nd and 3rd biggest away supports they received last season by a sizeable margin) going down in the same season this is a lot more understandable.

What I would be more disappointed about is that Partick Thistle's home attendances haven't seen significant increases since promotion. With the death of Rangers (and particularly now with the absolute disgraces of their pretender club) I really expected at least 1000 or so to turn sneak off to Firhill for some top tier football while their pretender club was making its ultimately doomed bid to reach the top tier. But being made up mostly of scummy glory hunters I guess it's not so surprising they decided instead to switch completely to foreign football.

This at the very least has surely been a great exercise for Scottish clubs in learning to adapt and cut their cloth accordingly when needed. Every team must be self-sufficient, they must be capable of surviving dropping themselves nevermind bigger teams from the Premiership dropping.

f**k in 5 years time when the shadow of Cheltic (with no hatred to sustain their mutant fanbase who also seem incapable of understanding why ACTUAL ATTENDANCE figures matter) get relegated after finishing in 11th place and losing the play-off attendances are going to take a hit again.

Inverness isn't any colder than any other settlement in Scotland with a football team. It's actually milder than quite a few.

In addition the country in general has very mild winters.

One of the things that makes the idea of a winter break here so hilarious is the fact that our mild winters are so potentially changeable, we could very well have the winter break during which we see mild, pleasant temperatures then return to be hit by a cold snap and heavy snow leading to an insane amount of fixture congestion in the late season.

Get some proper fucking winter attire if you're cold, I'm never cold at matches here and I'd absolutely hate not getting to see my team play under floodlights again.

They seem like the sort of people who would still only make the occasional game even if summer football was in place.

It's not significantly colder than any other stadium I've been to (and even then, if you're cold wear some decent clothes). The only possible reason I would have for not attending ICT games (if I was an ICT fan) would be the walk through the Longman, but even then a bus service from the centre to the stadium exists so it's not much of an issue.

The bigger issue for ICT (and County) is that too many people in Inverness and the surrounding area can't be bothered to turn up because neither team is winning trophies.

Inverness isn't any colder than any other settlement in Scotland with a football team. It's actually milder than quite a few.

In addition the country in general has very mild winters.

I wasn't meaning the city in general, I was meaning the ground itself. Every time I've been there it's been freezing. Maybe I've been unlucky but you have to admit the ground is a bit exposed.

Get some proper fucking winter attire if you're cold, I'm never cold at matches here and I'd absolutely hate not getting to see my team play under floodlights again.

Not a problem for me, I go to games all the time. But it does put a lot of people off. Customers. If you want to say 'we only want die hard supporters to turn up' then fine, but clubs income will suffer if you can't entice more people in, even if they only come occasionally.

They seem like the sort of people who would still only make the occasional game even if summer football was in place.

Possibly, I doubt it though. If you have a couple of 5 year old kids who haven't been bitten by the football bug, then sitting in the cold for a couple of hours is less likely to make them want to go back as opposed to going when it's warm and sunny.

I'm not keen on summer football... yet

People citing the incident at Ibrox last week as evidence that summer football is needed overlook the fact that everything that happened that night was avoidable. The ref says the pitch is playable. It wasn't but you can see why he did. The ball was rolling fine on the powdery fresh snow. Once it gets cut up a bit and becomes more slushy the ball starts to stick, then it isnt playable for a bit, but by the time he calls it off the ball was rolling fine. Might as well have played on.

Also i don't know if there are a couple of brooms or shovels in ibrox? get a few volunteers from the crowd and clear the feckin pitch! Bizarre decision not to delay kickoff and remove the worst of the snow. Would have also allowed more people to see the kick off and give an extra 15 mins of the undersoil heating melting the snow.

Archived