Alcohol at the football

Should football fans have the choice of having an alcoholic drink at the game?   

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Through various discussion via social media with individuals who want to keep the ban in place

I don't think that's very representative. Politicians don't want to change it because they perceive opinion supports retaining the ban. The demographics you quote are a small part of that opinion, there will be plenty more that are ignorant of progress made in the game.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the price of pies etc, I guess they'd be wanting £6+ a pint tho.

At Dens, probably.

I am against lifting the ban because I don't see there is any need to lift it. Folk who can't go a couple of hours without a drink have a real problem;

Missing. The. Point.

See here for a counter example:

I reckon we should ban the sale of food inside football grounds. If you can't go 90 minutes without eating a pie then you have a problem.

I recently attended the Cardiff v Reading FA Cup tie and the Bath v Glasgow European Cup Rugby tie on the same weekend. On both occasions I was able to buy alcohol in the ground. The only difference was that At the Cardiff game, I was not allowed to take it to my seat.

It obviously was a point of discussion amongst us Scots who were there, but in general it was agreed it was a great idea, irrespective of whether you could drink at your seat.

The points made were:

1. It puts money into the club that would normally be going to some publican/brewery.

2. It meant spectators turned up at games earlier, not only encouraging them to buy food (putting more money the clubs way), but prevented the last minute rush to the gates that make stewarding and policing a bit more difficult than it needs to be.

3. Opposition fans are segregated and drink in different areas, so there is less chance of trouble than there would be when fans spill out on the streets from boozers and meet on the way to the game.

In many ways it seemed a no brainer, but then I am old enough to remember the days when ducking beer cans on the terraces was an occupational hazard of watching football (whether the can was full, empty or full of urine!!)

I hope Scottish Football does drag itself into the 21st century and allow alcohol to be sold in the ground.

TD

When Scotland played Tonga at Rugby park before Christmas, the same people who frequent the theatre of pies on a Saturday decided to follow the egg ball for the afternoon. You could buy a plastic bottle of beer and take it too your seat if you wished. As far as I know, no-one got erse over tits or was arrested. In fact, everyone said that a couple of beers was just a pleasant way to enjoy a social occasion which just happened to be in a sporting arena.

The "can you go 2 hours without a drink" argument is nonsense! I can go that time without a pie too but it's just a pleasurable experience. Who knows, it might even make Killie look good through some beer goggles.

When Scotland played Tonga at Rugby park before Christmas, the same people who frequent the theatre of pies on a Saturday decided to follow the egg ball for the afternoon. You could buy a plastic bottle of beer and take it too your seat if you wished. As far as I know, no-one got erse over tits or was arrested. In fact, everyone said that a couple of beers was just a pleasant way to enjoy a social occasion which just happened to be in a sporting arena.

The "can you go 2 hours without a drink" argument is nonsense! I can go that time without a pie too but it's just a pleasurable experience. Who knows, it might even make Killie look good through some beer goggles.

When was the last time anyone was arrested at a rugby match? Let alone that it was a meaningless friendly. The comparisons with rugby are misleading and the atmosphere at rugby matches, for whatever reason, is completely different. It's like comparing the crowd at a One Direction gig with the crowd at ACDC. Football attracts a minority that find it very hard to control themselves in the face of opposing supporters. Lowering that sense of self control still further with a couple of pints doesn't equate to less trouble does it? Why then would any politician or police force support drinking at games...it's not going to happen.

I live across the road from Murrayfield, and if football fans did some of the stuff I've seen rugby fans doing then I've no doubt they'd have been arrested. I despise Celtic and their support, but their behaviour for their two European games this year was a lot better than your average rugby crowd.

Opposing football fans mingle quite happily in pubs before games in most towns up and down the country. The idea that they can't mix with each other is nonsense.

When was the last time anyone was arrested at a rugby match? Let alone that it was a meaningless friendly. The comparisons with rugby are misleading and the atmosphere at rugby matches, for whatever reason, is completely different. It's like comparing the crowd at a One Direction gig with the crowd at ACDC. Football attracts a minority that find it very hard to control themselves in the face of opposing supporters. Lowering that sense of self control still further with a couple of pints doesn't equate to less trouble does it? Why then would any politician or police force support drinking at games...it's not going to happen.

What's your point? It happens all over Europe, why not here? What makes football fans different in this country?

What's your point? It happens all over Europe, why not here? What makes football fans different in this country?

They're probably not any different in Germany, Italy, France or Holland. But then I've never been to a football game in Europe (Accies remember), but maybe that's why cops in Italy wear riot helmets, have big f**k off sticks and carry guns. Maybe the people who live in Hannover hate it when there's a game on, maybe they are prepared to put up with the odd bit of disorder, maybe both sets of fans get round a big campfire after the game and sing patriotic songs...I haven't got the time to research it. But my general point was regarding the repeated comparison to rugby crowds which as I said before have a very different atmosphere do they not?

They're probably not any different in Germany, Italy, France or Holland. But then I've never been to a football game in Europe (Accies remember), but maybe that's why cops in Italy wear riot helmets, have big f**k off sticks and carry guns. Maybe the people who live in Hannover hate it when there's a game on, maybe they are prepared to put up with the odd bit of disorder, maybe both sets of fans get round a big campfire after the game and sing patriotic songs...I haven't got the time to research it. But my general point was regarding the repeated comparison to rugby crowds which as I said before have a very different atmosphere do they not?

I don't think the atmosphere is that much different at all tbh. Maybe with away football fans, who tend to be a lot more drunk/more lads than families etc but how much trouble do you see or hear from home fans/crowds at premiership games? None really..

I don't think the atmosphere is that much different at all tbh. Maybe with away football fans, who tend to be a lot more drunk/more lads than families etc but how much trouble do you see or hear from home fans/crowds at premiership games? None really..

I don't recall any rugby match where rival supporters have to be segregated by stewards/police or where they stand goading rival fans to 'have a go', it just doesn't happen even when they're blootered. I do however agree with you that at the majority of SPFL games most fans can mingle without incident, I often chat to opposition fans after the game. It's just a shame that there are some who can't contain themselves and whose behaviour wouldn't be helped with a couple of pints. As I said, it won't happen - turkeys don't vote for Christmas and politicians don't vote to increase public disorder.

Eh? One Direction gig? Aye, great point!

My point was that it was the same people, going to the same stadia to view a different sport and they were completely civilised. You seem to suggest that if those same people drank at Killie v Hamilton it would be a bloodbath! The senior citizens neck a 3% Tennents and apparently turn into the Brown Bottle from the Viz. Complete nonsense. You will always have the nutters, generally at away games but they also, generally, drink on the buses and find a pub before the game anyway so I don't know who you think you are saving.

If you follow the exchange of posts it's not difficult to see exactly what I am on about; I am responding to EA's various points.

I am against lifting the ban because I don't see there is any need to lift it. Folk who can't go a couple of hours without a drink have a real problem; and whilst the majority won't abuse it sadly, like so many things in football, it is the minority that we have to worry about.

FWIW I'm not getting involved in a big debate about this, just offering my opinion.

Absolute fucking walloper.

Eh? One Direction gig? Aye, great point!

My point was that it was the same people, going to the same stadia to view a different sport and they were completely civilised. You seem to suggest that if those same people drank at Killie v Hamilton it would be a bloodbath! The senior citizens neck a 3% Tennents and apparently turn into the Brown Bottle from the Viz. Complete nonsense. You will always have the nutters, generally at away games but they also, generally, drink on the buses and find a pub before the game anyway so I don't know who you think you are saving.

Bloodbath? Eh??

You need to read my post again rather than try and sensationalise or misrepresent what I've written. The same people in the same stadia argument is meaningless. I don't doubt that some Killie supporters did indeed enjoy watching a game of Rugby with a pint...good on them. But don't try and tell me that when the opposition brings a large travelling support, let's say for arguments sake Rangers or Celtic, and that both sets of fans are able to buy drink before and during the game you'll have the same happy, nobody cares about the result, atmosphere as watching fucking Tonga.

Bloodbath? Eh??

You need to read my post again rather than try and sensationalise or misrepresent what I've written. The same people in the same stadia argument is meaningless. I don't doubt that some Killie supporters did indeed enjoy watching a game of Rugby with a pint...good on them. But don't try and tell me that when the opposition brings a large travelling support, let's say for arguments sake Rangers or Celtic, and that both sets of fans are able to buy drink before and during the game you'll have the same happy, nobody cares about the result, atmosphere as watching fucking Tonga.

I hate to break it to you. You can drink in football stadia currently. I'd better take a riot shield the next time I go to hospitality though. Also, you can schedule certain games around licensing hours or refuse to give certain stadia alcohol licences. Do you really think that your revelation about Celtic and Rangers fans not liking each other is new news? Stop the press!

Surely the answer isn't zero tolerance, but to have a properly managed solution. I'm not sure if you are aware but there are fans of English teams who despise one another too but somehow are still allowed to drink at the football.

I went to England v Scotland at Wembley and had a couple of beers at the game - I just about restrained myself from smashing up the seats and stabbing a steward though, (as did the 70,000 other people with access to alcohol).

I hate to break it to you. You can drink in football stadia currently. I'd better take a riot shield the next time I go to hospitality though. Also, you can schedule certain games around licensing hours or refuse to give certain stadia alcohol licences. Do you really think that your revelation about Celtic and Rangers fans not liking each other is new news? Stop the press!

Surely the answer isn't zero tolerance, but to have a properly managed solution. I'm not sure if you are aware but there are fans of English teams who despise one another too but somehow are still allowed to drink at the football.

I went to England v Scotland at Wembley and had a couple of beers at the game - I just about restrained myself from smashing up the seats and stabbing a steward though, (as did the 70,000 other people with access to alcohol).

Well done.

I never suggested that there would be riots, or that this was a Rangers v Celtic scenario, you've resorted to making stuff up. As for the properly managed solution, what you mean is more stewards, more police and more hassle for everyone sitting anywhere near the drunken arsehole. Anyway as I said the argument is moot, no-one outside football is going to advocate allowing fans to drink during the game, no matter how much you or anyone else wants it.

Well done.

I never suggested that there would be riots, or that this was a Rangers v Celtic scenario, you've resorted to making stuff up. As for the properly managed solution, what you mean is more stewards, more police and more hassle for everyone sitting anywhere near the drunken arsehole. Anyway as I said the argument is moot, no-one outside football is going to advocate allowing fans to drink during the game, no matter how much you or anyone else wants it.

Well, if you say it's a moot point then that's it! Clearly there's no coming back from that argument. I may as well not bother responding on a discussion forum if some random guy decides it's moot. P.S. I'm not desperate to have a drink at the football, I just don't understand the logic of someone who believes that if I am allowed then it's the end of society. I didn't mean extra police and stewards, (now who's making stuff up?), I meant being sensible about the games where alcohol was available. Since you seem so concerned about the Old Firm, their away games tend to be 12:30 kick off - how about only giving licences after 2pm? That's what I meant by managed.

Bloodbath? Eh??

As if you were going to say anyone else to back up your argument :lol:

Also, I've had a pints before Celtic games inside the stadium, it's not that uncommon. So why is it a good thing I can't have a pint in a plastic cup in view of the stadium?

Archived