Alcohol at the football

Should football fans have the choice of having an alcoholic drink at the game?   

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Remember Blair's philosophy over 24 hour drinking? He thought that he'd turn us all into genteel, wine sipping luvvies. What did we get? SuperNed/SuperLaddette.

Did we aye?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ghs/opinions-and-lifestyle-survey/drinking-habits-amongst-adults--2012/sty-alcohol-consumption.html

In 2012 58% of adults (people aged 16 and over) living in private households in Great Britain drank alcohol at least once in the week before being interviewed. This proportion has been declining both for men and women. Between 2005 and 2012 the proportion of men who drank alcohol in the week before being interviewed fell from 72% to 64%, and the proportion of women fell from 57% to 52%.

The proportion of adults who drank frequently (those who drank alcohol on at least five days in the week before being interviewed) has been declining. Between 2005 and 2012 there was a fall from 22% to 14% in the proportion of men who were frequent drinkers, and from 13% to 9% in the proportion of women. In 2012 people aged 65 and over were most likely to have drunk frequently, both for men (23%) and women (14%).

Older people were more likely to have drunk on five or more days in the last week...

Talking utter shite then.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, for a guy who keeps saying it's a moot point - you seem to be saying rather a lot about it. I'll let you into a secret, if games kick of at 3pm, then 2pm is before that. (When the big hand is at 12 and the little hand is at 3 on your watch if you are confused). And in answer to your question, Yes, you can go now.

OK you win I can't defeat your selective reading skills. Your solution to 'manage' alcohol will work fine, ban it at games before 2pm because Rangers and Celtic away games generally kick off at 12.30 and let drink be served at the other matches...seriously that's what you posted. You don't see a problem with that?

In what was is it exacerbating the problem? Unless you're trying to suggest the majority of football fans are alcoholics

If you really want to make an argument against our "problem" with alcohol you'd be calling for off licenses and pubs to be limited or closed down, ban supermarkets from selling alcohol, no more T in the park etc...

You don't though, why? Because allowing punters a beer in view of the pitch makes no difference to wider social problems with alcohol.

Simply put, the so called argument for keep a ban in place brought in a generation ago is laughable.

Nah it's fine as it is. Leave the preserve and purchase of alcohol to the Corporate seats, where responsible consumption seems the norm and appears to work quite well?

OK you win I can't defeat your selective reading skills. Your solution to 'manage' alcohol will work fine, ban it at games before 2pm because Rangers and Celtic away games generally kick off at 12.30 and let drink be served at the other matches...seriously that's what you posted. You don't see a problem with that?

If I met you in person I would probably have to speak very slowly wouldn't I? You brought up the Old Firm, I just offered a solution to that particular problem. Some pubs have late licences, others don't. Local authorities weigh up all the factors and decide where and when to give them. Is it beyond your comprehension to understand that this concept could work in football. Stadia could apply for a licence, NOT FOOTBALL IN GENERAL, and on a cases by case, (or even game by game), basis, these could be given. This is what I'd call a managed solution as opposed to your, one size fits all/everyone tarred with the same brush, attitude to football fans.

It's really a case of who can be trusted to consume alcohol at a match.

Clearly Celtic and Rangers fans have a propensity for violence and thuggery so it would be madness to allow them to buy booze.

Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts fans all have casual groups who misbehave pretty regularly so I would ban fans of those clubs as well.

Motherwell have that Nazi salute squad attached to them so it's a no no for them as well.

Everyone else should be fine.

I have ever understood the necessity of havinga drink at the match.

I quite happily have a couple of beers before the game and have a bovril and a pie during the match and then a few beers afterwards.

If you cant go without a pint for a couple of hours, you have a problem.

TheLip69, on 09 Feb 2015 - 14:02, said:

I quite happily have a couple of beers before the game and have a bovril and a pie during the match and then a few beers afterwards.

For the love of f**k.

And if you can't go a couple of hours without a pie then you have a problem.

^^^ idiot found

Having a beer at the football is great. Takes a bit of getting used to this novelty mind you, which resulted in more than a few hangovers for me.

Not sure it would make much of a difference, especially outside of the summer months. It's really not much fun drinking a cold beer when it's 3 degrees and pissing it down. When it's a good night, it definitely adds to the match day experience.

Ban alcohol from gigs. 10,000 people that can't get together for a couple of hours and not drink. Shameful.

At a gig you have the whole audience having a drink and a good time. At a football match you've one set of fans celebrating and the opposing fans raging, more alcohol isn't a good mix in that scenario? Why it should be any different to watching the Rugby at Murrayfield or the Cricket at the MCG? I don't know, it just is, a different crowd I guess.

Having said that I've seen trouble at the darts on more than one occasion (alcohol fuelled crowd trouble) albeit on a small scale.

At a gig you have the whole audience having a drink and a good time. At a football match you've one set of fans celebrating and the opposing fans raging, more alcohol isn't a good mix in that scenario? Why it should be any different to watching the Rugby at Murrayfield or the Cricket at the MCG? I don't know, it just is, a different crowd I guess.

Having said that I've seen trouble at the darts on more than one occasion (alcohol fuelled crowd trouble) albeit on a small scale.

People already go to the football drunk.

HTH

Archived