Pope Francis says it is OK to smack children if their ‘dignity is main

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the direct quote:

“One time, I heard a father in a meeting with married couples say ‘I sometimes have to smack my children a bit, but never in the face so as to not humiliate them’,” Francis said.

“How beautiful.” he added. “He knows the sense of dignity! He has to punish them but does it justly and moves on.

Not only is he saying it's "OK" to smack a child, he specifically states to do so is beautiful.

Just as long as it isn't in the face.

Aye ok..that was the Popes clear message there to a group of patents .Lol

Are you actually denying that even though the words are right there for all to see?

Get over it..... A spokesman for the Scottish Government said: "The Scottish Government does support smacking. However, we do not wish to criminalise parents for lightly smacking their child. The Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003 clearly outlines what is unacceptable punishment."

I'd say it's like arguing with a child but I genuinely get more sense and honesty from my 4 year old son.

My kids n grandkids wouldn't know what it's like to get thumped.

On another point, if when I had kids I found out that their grandparents (my parents luckily weren't absolute nutters so didn't abuse me) had abused my kids while in their care, they wouldn't be seeing their grandchildren again.

If the Pope was to come out and say "hang the niggers!" THE KING would try and find ways to defend it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'd have much of a choice if he was a practising Catholic. Perhaps someone can clarify?

On another point, if when I had kids I found out that their grandparents (my parents luckily weren't absolute nutters so didn't abuse me) had abused my kids while in their care, they wouldn't be seeing their grandchildren again.

What will you do if your kids are uncontrollable?

Most of the "uncontrollable" kids I remember from school were the ones who had the tar whipped out of them by their fathers on a regular basis. You know; the ones who'd scream "don't tell my dad!" after being caught acting out.

In the absence of some kind of condition, I think it's fair to say that, if you really can't control your child's behaviour, you've already made serious mistakes leading up to that point. So, you can either seek help from folk who actually know what they're doing, or give the kid a leathering to make yourself feel a bit better. I know which is easier.

If so, how do you explain all the perfectly happy and well behaved children who don't get hit? Just good luck? Good genes?

That already came up earlier in the thread; I think the implication was Original Sin.

Do you genuinely believe that the only way to effectively discipline children is by hitting them?

If so, how do you explain all the perfectly happy and well behaved children who don't get hit? Just good luck? Good genes?

I didn't hit my kids, interested to know how the great n the good deal with such situations.

Nature or nurture.

Aye; happy to leave that one up to the scientists. I think it's fair to say that our genes give us predilections towards certain types of behaviour, but our environment dictates how that behaviour will manifest. The vast majority of psychopaths aren't serial killers, for example, although they may well have gone down that route with a different upbringing.

I didn't hit my kids, interested to know how the great n the good deal with such situations.

Nice but that doesn't really answer the question. You appear to be suggesting that the only solution to an uncontrollable child is to hit him or her. I'm curious as to how you reconcile this with the fact that most parents are able to bring up perfectly well mannered children without having to hit them.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'd have much of a choice if he was a practising Catholic. Perhaps someone can clarify?

It would depend on whether he was speaking "ex cathedra" which doesn't happen very often.

If was to put on his magic hat, sit on his magic chair and declare that it was now official doctrine that hitting children was great/bad/"Ok but not in the head" then he'd be technically infallible and the faithful would be bound to fall into line

But a sound bite while on tour isn't binding (Although that didn't stop them getting upset with John Lennon saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus)

popes don't use their big "because I say so" stick to finally settle arguments very often but the very fact that they carry it hangs over everything they say.

However the PR effort to downplay the statement in question without actually retracting it shows that the Vatican has little interest in settling the argument.

Which happens quite a lot given that he's got huge numbers of developing world Catholics on one side and a smaller number of Catholics in the rich world who pay his bills.

Nice but that doesn't really answer the question. You appear to be suggesting that the only solution to an uncontrollable child is to hit him or her. I'm curious as to how you reconcile this with the fact that most parents are able to bring up perfectly well mannered children without having to hit them.

Ayrmad arguing a strange case here. Says he doesn't hit his kids but alludes to violence being the only way to control kids.

Archived