Bairn's Scotland2015 blog: Previews of every seat

Mr Bairn

People have made FOISA requests to highland council and they say they donnt have the information for it to be broken down to ward level so not sure where the Skye and Inverness figures come from unless it was sampling on.the night. Others like Glasgow and north Ayrshire give full breakdowns on their website.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inverness was definitely 60+ percent in favour of Yes, I'm sure.

I saw several tweets suggesting 61% yes but that seems a bit unlikely given Highland was 53% no? Inverness is over a quarter of the Highlands' population too.

As well as the Isle of Skye, Lochaber apparently voted yes too which could mean Charles Kennedy ends up being turfed out after all.

This does beg the question about where the major no-voting areas were in the Highlands, though?

People have made FOISA requests to highland council and they say they donnt have the information for it to be broken down to ward level so not sure where the Skye and Inverness figures come from unless it was sampling on.the night. Others like Glasgow and north Ayrshire give full breakdowns on their website.

That's where the information I'm seeing on Twitter from September/October seems to be coming from.

I saw several tweets suggesting 61% yes but that seems a bit unlikely given Highland was 53% no? Inverness is over a quarter of the Highlands' population too.

As well as the Isle of Skye, Lochaber apparently voted yes too which could mean Charles Kennedy ends up being turfed out after all.

This does beg the question about where the major no-voting areas were in the Highlands, though?

I also saw Tain as yes. You would think if Inverness and Skye were yes fort William would have had to have been 90% no to return a no vote for highland.

I also saw Tain as yes. You would think if Inverness and Skye were yes fort William would have had to have been 90% no to return a no vote for highland.

I saw someone say Fort William voted yes too. :lol:

Either way, it was close in the Highlands.

Inverness must have had one of the most active Yes branches going. It's still open right now in the middle of town and still busy. I can believe the figure.

You would think Danny Alexander is a stick on to lose his seat but the SNP candidate is just as hated up here.

The SNP will win at a canter in Beaker's seat.

4. Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine

Potential 3-way marginal here and bizarrely yet another seat where the Tories could find themselves lucky just by maintaining their 2010 levels and watching the Lib Dems reverse leapfrog them. The SNP should be more of a factor here, coming off a 16% starting level and a romping win in the equivalent Holyrood seat. Again the Lib Dems need to keep 80% of their vote to win the seat, and the SNP would need slightly under half of the Lib Dems votes to pinch it from 3rd place. In this case I like the look of the Nats because there's also a sizeable Labour base to gain votes from, SNP gain from Lib Dems

5. Aberdeen North

UKPR have this as a "very safe" Labour seat with them getting double the SNP vote in 2010. Having said that I think the SNP can easily take the quarter of the Labour vote they need, throw in the fact there's a 19% Lib Dem base to pinch votes from and you have an SNP gain from Labour and it won't even be that close.

6. Aberdeen South

Boy, this is a tough call. Labour got more than three times the SNP vote in 2010, and the Nats are coming from way back in fourth place, but there's a massive Lib Dem vote that's absolutely bound to collapse. This one could be one of the most marginal seats of the night, with a not insignificant Tory vote to factor in as well. Ultimately this is a seat that Labour will hang on to but it could come down to multiple recounts.

Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire roundup

Seats: Labour 1(-1), SNP 2 (+2), Lib Dems 0 (-1)

Total seats: Tories 2(+1), Labour 2 (-1), SNP 2(+2), Lib Dems 0 (-2)

What the papers will say: Nearly a 2011 esque SNP clean out, but Anne Begg holds on to keep a little red on the board.

4. Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine

Potential 3-way marginal here and bizarrely yet another seat where the Tories could find themselves lucky just by maintaining their 2010 levels and watching the Lib Dems reverse leapfrog them. The SNP should be more of a factor here, coming off a 16% starting level and a romping win in the equivalent Holyrood seat. Again the Lib Dems need to keep 80% of their vote to win the seat, and the SNP would need slightly under half of the Lib Dems votes to pinch it from 3rd place. In this case I like the look of the Nats because there's also a sizeable Labour base to gain votes from, SNP gain from Lib Dems

5. Aberdeen North

UKPR have this as a "very safe" Labour seat with them getting double the SNP vote in 2010. Having said that I think the SNP can easily take the quarter of the Labour vote they need, throw in the fact there's a 19% Lib Dem base to pinch votes from and you have an SNP gain from Labour and it won't even be that close.

6. Aberdeen South

Boy, this is a tough call. Labour got more than three times the SNP vote in 2010, and the Nats are coming from way back in fourth place, but there's a massive Lib Dem vote that's absolutely bound to collapse. This one could be one of the most marginal seats of the night, with a not insignificant Tory vote to factor in as well. Ultimately this is a seat that Labour will hang on to but it could come down to multiple recounts.

Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire roundup

Seats: Labour 1(-1), SNP 2 (+2), Lib Dems 0 (-1)

Total seats: Tories 2(+1), Labour 2 (-1), SNP 2(+2), Lib Dems 0 (-2)

What the papers will say: Nearly a 2011 esque SNP clean out, but Anne Begg holds on to keep a little red on the board.

Im liking these Mr Bairn

I personally wouldn't say Dundee is NE but plenty of people do so it's reasonable I suppose. Where are the moray and Inverness east seats then?

North East is the two Dundee seats, Angus, Moray, Gordon and Banff/Buchan

North West is Argyll & Bute, the Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland and then those 3 seats with really long names (Alexander's seat, Kennedy's seat and the Caithness seat)

North East is the two Dundee seats, Angus, Moray, Gordon and Banff/Buchan

North West is Argyll & Bute, the Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland and then those 3 seats with really long names (Alexander's seat, Kennedy's seat and the Caithness seat)

Aye that's slightly weird as you have cut off the Dundee and Angus seats from the moray and northern Aberdeenshire seats with the Aberdeen seats and the Inverness badenoch and strathspey seat is all on the east coast.

However, that just nitpicking from me as I was trying to work it out in my head.

Great thread.

Archived