Racism in junior football.

colliebhoy

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I disagree with this post, but racism isn't Junior football's problem, neither is it football in general's problem. It's a society issue.

However, the committees and fans of any club have to be proactive when it is witnessed in anyone (even fellow committee members or fellow fans).

Banter and fun are one thing but the things I remember hearing being banded about at players or officials at matches were just frightening. I doubt it has changed much.

Going to a football match has to stop being seen as free licence to say anything you want however vile.

The fact that a player has allegedly done this is on another level and the eyes of the Junior world has to be on Greenock insofar as how they deal with it. Good luck to them and I hope they are brave.

Couldn't agree more.

you have to b mature and intelligent to rise above it.

It's not a question of being mature, intelligent and the "bigger man". If incidents of racist abuse are just ignored, then it's almost considering it acceptable behaviour.

its only words at the end of the day. pepple have to man up n if people r shputin abuse at u? use it to inspire u to play the game of ur life. words never hurt anypne

You may well think that, but you are wrong.

The racial abuse as described here is against the law. Yep, a criminal offence.

What should be done about it?

1. For a start the club must act. I know a club in the east who had a defender who went in over the ball (as he was getting the run around). He was red carded. His manager told him he would never play for them again, and he didn't. Same should happen here.

Just wonder if the committee knowing what happened, by not dealing with it I wonder what their personal positions might be?

2. Report it to the SJFA in writing. They will try to weasel out of it, and at best dole out a slap on the wrist.

Tom Johnstone visited Harthill Royal in person to tell players (unpaid) to their faces that if they didn't play when asked they would be locked out of football totally, and the SJFA would make sure they never played again in any registered team. For life. Normal people would expect at least the same here. But don't bet on it.

3. And the best option is to report it to the police. Anyone can do it. It doesn't have to be the victim, and given the behaviour of the perpetrator I would suggest someone other than the victim should make the call ( Calling 101 will do it).

There was a case a few years back when a player was reported to the SFA for racially abusing an opponent. They did nothing. However it was taken up by (the late) Margo McDonald who made sure the police moved on it.

The result http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-850-race-abuse-fine-985541

The law had been toughened up since then. The police can obtain the evidence and if it goes to court the matter will be dealt with based on that evidence.

Not that I disagree with this post, but racism isn't Junior football's problem, neither is it football in general's problem. It's a society issue.

However, the committees and fans of any club have to be proactive when it is witnessed in anyone (even fellow committee members or fellow fans).

Banter and fun are one thing but the things I remember hearing being banded about at players or officials at matches were just frightening. I doubt it has changed much.

Going to a football match has to stop being seen as free licence to say anything you want however vile.

The fact that a player has allegedly done this is on another level and the eyes of the Junior world has to be on Greenock insofar as how they deal with it. Good luck to them and I hope they are brave.

Easily the best post about this.Statement on the Ardeer website says another player heard what was said and that the referee was informed at the time and after the game.

its only words at the end of the day. pepple have to man up n if people r shputin abuse at u? use it to inspire u to play the game of ur life. words never hurt anypne

ill tell you one thing m8.... you certainly know how to make a c*nt of yourself..... hats off !!!!!

There y'are then. It's that simple. We're all being too sensitive about this racism mularkey.

Just when you thought you'd heard it all.

I'm guessing you just bashed away at the key board and that's what came up cause nobody in there right mind could come up with that sheer drivel your spouting.

Lads I apologise is anyone took offence yesterday , I was only asking if anyone else heard this abuse take place. wasnt saying he was lying or at and I do no Allan but doesn't mean he never done it. And rrg knows it was some banter as well.

Your man haha need to start a thread for you, all these wet dreams your having about me and the greenock boys.

And to clear it up I'm from port glasgow and I don't even no the boy Allan Ya caaaloooown. ,just no your easy for a wee bite brydo

Some really desperate,attention-seeking,kindergarten material here wee man.

Pathetic.

you have to b mature and intelligent to rise above it.

These must be the two worst attempts at trolling ever seen on this forum. Your team mates must be absolutely delighted with your contributions on this thread.

Unfortunately I have now received an abusive message via another social networking site due to my posts on here which is very sad indeed... I will be contacting the Greenock committee, who I have a very good relationship with, and making the aware of this.

Unfortunately I have now received an abusive message via another social networking site due to my posts on here which is very sad indeed... I will be contacting the Greenock committee, who I have a very good relationship with, and making the aware of this.

Just looked back through your posts. Really confused as to why anyone would be abusive about what you said. For once it was common sense!!!

Haha cheers Jim but agree I never once said the boy in question had been racially abusive only that if the player is adamant it did happen he should report it through the right channels. Lithgyrose asks me if I witnessed it would I and said yes, naturally!! I have left my uncalled for abuse in the hands of the Greenock committee.... No longer the good guy on P&B!! :(

Haha cheers Jim but agree I never once said the boy in question had been racially abusive only that if the player is adamant it did happen he should report it through the right channels. Lithgyrose asks me if I witnessed it would I and said yes, naturally!! I have left my uncalled for abuse in the hands of the Greenock committee.... No longer the good guy on P&B!! :(

A reputation in tatters!

Only kidding, pal. It's sadly indicative of the attitude which remains deep seated among some.

Very poor indeed. Obviously must be someone connected to Greenock if you have let them know. If it's the guy in question then he really isn't as bright as we thought!!!!

Archived