SPFL goal of the month

It is pretty disgraceful that you're suggesting that Celtic are somehow using the boy for a PR campaign.

It's really not, they clearly are. Nothing wrong with that, clubs do it all the time.

As for the main debate, it may be a little bit silly, but then so is the goal of the month competition. It's nice for the boy and how it can actually bother anyone I'm not quite sure. I'm sure he appreciated the award more than anyone else would have.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe some of the comments on here. It was a great gesture and showed Scottish Football up very well imo, I don't understand why people would have a problem with it. It gave the young boy a bit of time in the limelight and hopefully more awareness and donations to charity ect.

I think the Celtic PR people/ Media should leave the boy alone now, he's had his moment, let him get back to supporting the team and on with his life.

So in other words, it proves nothing then.

As I have said before I have a problem with him winning it only because he has DS. Society shouldn't judge him as a "disabled kid" but simply as a kid.

If you look at him free of prejudice then you'll see he shouldn't have won it at all.

As long as people continue to be singled out and labelled with comments like disabled then social equality will never be achieved.

Would it be OK for a black kid to win it because he is black? No, so why is it OK for Jay Beattie to win it?

Free your mind.

As I have said before I have a problem with him winning it only because he has DS. Society shouldn't judge him as a "disabled kid" but simply as a kid.

If you look at him free of prejudice then you'll see he shouldn't have won it at all.

As long as people continue to be singled out and labelled with comments like disabled then social equality will never be achieved.

Would it be OK for a black kid to win it because he is black? No, so why is it OK for Jay Beattie to win it?

Free your mind.

But if a kid is black then it won't (or shouldn't) restrict the opportunities he can have later on in life. Physically and mentally he is just as able as any other kid.

Jay has DS meaning that later on in life he will be restricted as to what he can do. Not through prejudice or maltreatment but through physical limitations. For example he's not going to be a professional footballer. He's not going to have the chance to be one because nature has dished him up a tough hand. He won't be an academic or a pilot or a doctor.

A gesture like this does throw up problems. It sets a precedent, it sparks envious glances and it does rob a player of his genuine goal of the month, but at face value you can't deny the lad his moment.

Free your mind.

I disagree with your definition of equality. The kid has a condition which makes life harder for him than other children without it. I see equality as levelling the playing field, which sometimes means giving people who are otherwise hindered an advantage over those who aren't. I don't see it as treating everyone the same regardless of circumstances. I'm not saying his disability should define him, but it is there and obviously has an impact on his life, that cant be denied. I also wouldn't have minded if a kid without a disability had won it either, as it's just a nice gesture imo.

Free your mind.

You see being black as a disability?

Free your mind.

I'm all for freeing my (and for others to free their) mind.

I'm also for using my mind and thinking with it.

I suspect you didn't quite think about what your freed mind was telling you to type?

Or did you really and deliberately choose to compare a child with DS to being the same as a child with black skin?

If it's the latter, sorry but that is shockingly bad.

For the record, RussellAnderson summed it up perfectly.

The SPFL youtube channel now has a whole range of videos dedicated to "Scottish Football Cult Hero - Jay Beatty"

It's definitely not gone too far and 100% isn't a successul PR stunt by Celtic FC though.

Good to see that we've now selected our disabled representative also. The other clubs need to get their arses in gear. I've heard that there will be a big 'each man for himself' competition where the disabled fans will battle it out in an attempt to be the first person to score 3 goals past a disabled goalkeeper (Rado Cierzniak is being heavily rumoured).

• 2 months later...

A six-year-old boy, Aaron Woodall, has just won St. Mirren's Player of the Year award.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/32617883

I realise that the Jay Beatty thing divided opinion on here, but I can't imagine a similar reaction on this occasion. Aaron has definitely been St. Mirren's best player this season.

A six-year-old boy, Aaron Woodall, has just won St. Mirren's Player of the Year award.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/32617883

I realise that the Jay Beatty thing divided opinion on here, but I can't imagine a similar reaction on this occasion. Aaron has definitely been St. Mirren's best player this season.

We appear to have posted the same mildly amusing but highly predictable post on separate threads at the exact same time.

Crazy shit.

We appear to have posted the same mildly amusing but highly predictable post on separate threads at the exact same time.

Crazy shit.

On a positive note, we're a couple of hilarious lads who seem to have been separated at birth. Unfortunately, however, this may have a negative effect on the potential amount of greenies we could have otherwise received. I suppose we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Archived