What would 5 more years of the Tories mean?

FlyerTon

Ashscroft had a few constituency polls for UKIP v Tory marginals in the week and the Tories look good to take all of them. Now that it's tight as a badgers arse for the election, UKIP's vote will continue to fall away to the Conservatives, imo. Tories + Missus Bunfield would have to be literally a couple of seats short of forming a Government for UKIP to be involved. Possible but very unlikely.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could this nightmare happen, in just over two months time?

David-Cameron-Nigel-Farage-GQ-03Feb13_pa

The Conservatives are currently 20 seats short of a majority, and got 36.1% of the vote against Labour's 29%. The Tories are currently polling in the 31-33 ballpark, with Labour polling around 32-35. The Tories are, as it stands, going to lose seats to Labour let alone retain their base and build.

UKIP would have to win about 45-50 seats to make that coalition work. I think they'll be fortunate to get 3.

In other words, the chance of this happening is almost zero.

Under a free market system there have to be losers as well as winners - and those at the bottom of society always end up losing. I don't think incentive would in any way improve our education system. I'm not an expert in educational research but from what I've seen the countries that take exam pressures out and spend money on the state system are the ones who come out on top in terms of education outcomes.

There's also a big problem with pupil motivation in schools (and I think this is where we might agree).

Anyway I think we've dragged this thread off topic far enough - but maybe a new thread should be created (or old one revived).

I'll make this my last post in this thread, because the subject needs it's own thread and the pupil motivation factor you mentioned goes into a far wider debate in relation to societal issues. Your comment on the free market seems to imply you think it's "dog eat dog" when it's merely a system of choice and voluntary exchange. That's designed to weed out the worst and least efficiently run organisations, or force them to up their game. It also implies you also believe in the "nobody's a failure" culture either. When I believe in the "It's OK to fail as long as you learn from it"

Archived