I would hope so or otherwise they would be terminated early for poor performance. Just out of curiosity, is this even an option for teachers? How long does the average disiplinary process take?

You "would hope so". In other words, you can't really say. I'm not sure in that case how you expect me to then generalise an opinion for all teachers in Scotland.

You say that they would be terminated early for poor performance. So let's say a teacher wants to leave in October... his notice period stipulates he has to work until the next June... he can't be bothered so doesn't really try. What happens to him? In your scenario, he is terminated for poor performance? How does that work in regards to teacher continuity?

In regards to your second point, yes, it is an option, although I've no idea how long it takes - I don't know anyone who's gone through it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough Gaz, I'd need to look into it more and see how Finland deal with those issues. It clearly works there though.

Do Finland have fixed-term or variable-notice contracts for teachers?

You "would hope so". In other words, you can't really say. I'm not sure in that case how you expect me to then generalise an opinion for all teachers in Scotland.

You say that they would be terminated early for poor performance. So let's say a teacher wants to leave in October... his notice period stipulates he has to work until the next June... he can't be bothered so doesn't really try. What happens to him? In your scenario, he is terminated for poor performance? How does that work in regards to teacher continuity?

In regards to your second point, yes, it is an option, although I've no idea how long it takes - I don't know anyone who's gone through it.

I bet 99.99% of teachers are also in this position. :rolleyes:

In regards to the teacher leaving part, if the teacher was leaving for a job within the same authority then they wouldn't have a job to go to. This would surely prevent such behaviour? If they were going to another authority then they should be reported to the GTCS for misconduct. Whilst this doesn't address the continuity issue, I would rather have someone in place that would put the educational needs of the kids first.

Secondary school teachers in one of the Scandinavian countries get an hour of non contact time for every hour they teach.

If people want better services, whether it be education or health, they will have to pay more in tax for it, which few seem willing to do

I bet 99.99% of teachers are also in this position. :rolleyes:

In regards to the teacher leaving part, if the teacher was leaving for a job within the same authority then they wouldn't have a job to go to. This would surely prevent such behaviour? If they were going to another authority then they should be reported to the GTCS for misconduct. Whilst this doesn't address the continuity issue, I would rather have someone in place that would put the educational needs of the kids first.

What about leaving for a job outwith teaching?

What about leaving for a job outwith teaching?

Fair enough, I wouldn't expect this to be a high number.

From personnel experience, none of the teachers that left post whilst being my daughter's teacher left for a non-teaching job. The vast majority also remain within the same authority.

Fair enough, I wouldn't expect this to be a high number.

From personnel experience, none of the teachers that left post whilst being my daughter's teacher left for a non-teaching job. The vast majority also remain within the same authority.

You would be surprised. I myself moved school at the end of November to take over from a teacher who had become disillusioned with the whole profession. Under your system, though, he'd have been forced to continue teaching his pupils for another seven months.

How would you also address the following:

Female teachers who are about to have children;

Teachers who leave due to illness / injury;

Teachers who leave to become carers?

Archived