C4E has put a lot of demands on teachers, I know that many didn't think it was well implemented and this was done only a few years after the last revamp. It'll remain to be seen the impact that this has on education in Scotland. One thing I think I can say about school compared to when I was there (92-98) and when my brothers were there (1980s) is that education just seems much better now, they learn about more interesting things, the teachers are more approachable and encouraged to be so, the kids seem to have more confidence and maturity. That's what I get from observing my teacher friends and my nieces and nephews anyway.

Education is interesting - there are lots of failings in the Scottish system, lots of kids slip through the cracks. Currently the poorest cildren in Scotland do very poorly which has to be the target to change. A few weeks ago Nicola Sturgeon gave a speech where she hinted that her government would consider carrying out similar reforms to those in England. Whatever you think of them the impact on the worst performing schools has been marked and it'd be interesting to see if that could be replicated in Scotland.

I am interested in what you think this marked improvement is and how exactly it has been achieved.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....social background, however was a huge factor.

Looking back, my school was both a really good school and a terrible one. You could get the education you need and you could do absolutely f**k all, and they'd happily cater to either.

Overwhelmingly, the people who got the most out of their time there were the ones from middle class backgrounds. The school seemed to expect and facilitate this.

I would suggest that's because children from a middle class back down are less likely to have parents that don't care about their education since they themselves will have benefited from one. As a result those parents will make a space for their children to study at exam time for example. That's far more important than money spent on education IMO.

I would suggest that's because children from a middle class back down are less likely to have parents that don't care about their education since they themselves will have benefited from one. As a result those parents will make a space for their children to study at exam time for example. That's far more important than money spent on education IMO.

A big problem that we have in the NE is continuity. My daughter is currently on her fourth English teacher this academic year.

Teacher's leaving in the middle of the year for another school should be prevented unless there is no alternative. Even worse, we now see teachers leaving in the middle of a term!!! Avoidable situations like this is why, in my opinion, the teaching profession are primarily there for what they can get out of the system. Any faith that I had that the teaching profession were on the side of the learners has long since vanished.

I've just accepted a place on a Teacher Training course having volunteered for a while and if you were going into it to take what you could get out of the system you would be found out fairly quickly IMO. I've been around enough teachers when they're free to be honest about their pupils and unless I've been very lucky they're all completely committed to their pupils.

Teacher's leaving in the middle of the year for another school should be prevented unless there is no alternative.

Are you suggesting that teachers should be "tied in" each academic year?

I think the Finnish system should be followed. It's a different approach but in my opinion a much more human approach to teaching.

You don't have to start school until you are 7 (I think this might be being lowered to 6 soon).

No mandatory testing, you only sit one test when you are finishing school.

You have the same teacher for your first 5 years of school, allowing the teacher to get to know the pupils and the pupils to trust the teacher.

Classes will work for 45 minutes and have a 10 minute break for every hour they're in school (some schools only open for 5 hours a day)

Your first years at school are spent doing creative things like drawing, painting, playing music, playing sports etc.

Teachers are chosen from the top 30% of graduates I believe, they're treated the same as doctors/surgeons etc.

The results speak for themselves. Sadly, having seen first hand the outrage in West Dunbartonshire when they announced they'd be shortening the school day by half an hour, nobody here actually wants any sort of radical change, or gives two fucks about what the kids are learning - as long as the school can look after their kids for what they deem a normal school day then they're happy. So much "dis ruins my hole ruteen, hw am a suposed tae take ma kidz tae skool haff a 'oor latr?!11!" being spouted.

I've actually taken the view that we won't ever radically change this country. Too many selfish c***s who are blind to the bigger picture.

A big problem that we have in the NE is continuity. My daughter is currently on her fourth English teacher this academic year.

Teacher's leaving in the middle of the year for another school should be prevented

Never mind. If she's on her 4th English teacher she can always get you to coach her on the use of the apostrophe.

What dross. So tell me. How do you cope with the work/school dilemma with your own kids?

Ah, the go to line of every raging parent. You'll be shocked to know that I don't have kids so it doesn't affect me at this moment in time. In a couple of years it might though and taking my kids to school half an hour later than what I would be doing now is really not high on my priority list. I'd rather school was interesting for my kids and that they actually learned some knowledge or skills when they were there rather than be taught how to pass a test.

It was a comment based on the response a few weeks ago regarding the cut, the were proper froth at the mouth responses to it, it's really not an important issue.

I'd rather school was interesting for my kids and that they actually learned some knowledge or skills when they were there rather than be taught how to pass a test.

And how do you know this doesn't already happen?

Quick summary:

1. I Know no parents who use school as a child minder.

2. I have 3 weans at big school. They are all well-educated and inspired.

All you're doing is regurgitating Daily Mail dross but without the pics.

I think the Finnish system should be followed. It's a different approach but in my opinion a much more human approach to teaching.

You don't have to start school until you are 7 (I think this might be being lowered to 6 soon).

No mandatory testing, you only sit one test when you are finishing school.

You have the same teacher for your first 5 years of school, allowing the teacher to get to know the pupils and the pupils to trust the teacher.

Classes will work for 45 minutes and have a 10 minute break for every hour they're in school (some schools only open for 5 hours a day)

Your first years at school are spent doing creative things like drawing, painting, playing music, playing sports etc.

Teachers are chosen from the top 30% of graduates I believe, they're treated the same as doctors/surgeons etc.

I've actually taken the view that we won't ever radically change this country. Too many selfish c***s who are blind to the bigger picture.

Personally, I'd favour school not starting until the age of 6 to and there is way too much obsession with testing and "standards". I don't mind testing as long as it's not mandatory. How are we supposed to get teachers from the top 30% of graduates when currently they largely come from the bottom 20%? That won't change because the people at the top like it that way. My uncle was one of the top mathematicians in the country at one point. There is no way he would ever contemplate going into teaching. Considering what he could make elsewhere. As for too many selfish c***s. That's due to where all the incentives lie. It's going to take a crisis for it to change.

The issue with school starting at age 6 is that it's far too late for those kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Christ 4 years old is too late for them.

We would need to radically overhaul our society and support networks for that to happen, and there's not many calling for that.

I've been depressed recently by the lack of willingness to read. My 15-17 year olds have assignments due where they need to show a range of historical sources, and they can't be arsed. They want the points to jump out at them, or be handed to them. They want to use ask.com rather than read a decent article (internet or old school).

Obviously these pupils always existed but for me it feels like a tipping point. Only the really good kids are willing to read properly now and it's depressing as f**k.

I've been depressed recently by the lack of willingness to read. My 15-17 year olds have assignments due where they need to show a range of historical sources, and they can't be arsed. They want the points to jump out at them, or be handed to them. They want to use ask.com rather than read a decent article (internet or old school).

Obviously these pupils always existed but for me it feels like a tipping point. Only the really good kids are willing to read properly now and it's depressing as f**k.

That's because school is largely based on short term memory. Whenever I get into an argument over something, or neither of us are sure what the answer is. All I have to do is whip out an Android and Google it, and the answer will be available in the space of 30 seconds. I don't need to go out of my way by going to the library and spending hours digging for the answer.

Which leads onto my main point, because what happens when people have the internet in their contact lens? There would be few subjects even the least capable of pupils couldn't pass without flying colours. The education system would need to adapt so it's teaching skills that can't be usurped by a quick online search or tool.

Never mind. If she's on her 4th English teacher she can always get you to coach her on the use of the apostrophe.

In your own words

Just f**k right off with your grammar bollocks. Some of us have more important things to discuss.

Meanwhile in one of the next posts on the same thread

And how do you know this doesn't already happen?

Quick summary:

1. I Know no parents who use school as a child minder.

2. I have 3 weans at big school. They are all well-educated and inspired.

All you're doing is regurgitating Daily Mail dross but without the pics.

1. Know should have no capital letter.

2. Childminder is not two words.

:rolleyes:

It's completely unworkable, for so many reasons.

If only one of the reasons was that poorly performing teachers need to be replaced but we both know that isn't likely to happen.

Would it, in your opinion, be better for the kids if they had continuity of teachers?

Archived