The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clinton still 2/9 to win the democratic nomination, drifting slightly from 2/11.

i think she will win it, but I hope the Democratic 'movement' in the US keeps the same demographic trend that I think the YES campaign will. Younger and middle age people appear to want real change.

So Sanders won the primary 62:38, which has to be considered a thumping success for him. There is no way Hilary can spin it in a positive way. However, what goes on in the Republican primary is much more important, as it has chosen the eventual nominee every time since 1968. Trump winning 35% of the vote compared to his nearest rivals getting 11% of the vote. Has to be a powerful indicator that Trump is going to win the eventual nomination. I suspect Rubio's disappointing numbers can be put down to him floundering during the recent debate. As for the Democrat race, I think it's too close to call as things stand.

Sanders may have won the vote, but it looks like Clinton will walk away from New Hampshire with at least an equal share of the delegates due to the preferences of the superdelegates. She may even be ahead :(

It's going to be even more of an uphill struggle for him to win the candidacy than I had appreciated.

Sanders may have won the vote, but it looks like Clinton will walk away from New Hampshire with at least an equal share of the delegates due to the preferences of the superdelegates. She may even be ahead :(

It's going to be even more of an uphill struggle for him to win the candidacy than I had appreciated.

i wonder if Sanders will get a boost for the next vote he needs it

Wtf is a super delegate and how the hell is that democratic?

It's a bit like how MPs tend to get an extra level of voting clout over ordinary party members when political parties in the UK select a new party leader. Senators, governors etc get to be delegates alongside the ones that are selected in the primaries. That favours Clinton, but that isn't the only problem for Bernie Sanders. Iowa and New Hampshire are very white in population terms and he has struggled to gain support among black and Hispanic voters.

The way I understand it, what they're essentially doing with these primaries is electing delegates to go to the party conference.

Those who want to be delegates announce beforehand which candidate they'll support, but there are also these superdelegates that don't need to be elected and can vote for whichever candidate they want.

Am I right? I'm sure the actual presidential election works in a similar way too

The way I understand it, what they're essentially doing with these primaries is electing delegates to go to the party conference.

Those who want to be delegates announce beforehand which candidate they'll support, but there are also these superdelegates that don't need to be elected and can vote for whichever candidate they want.

Am I right? I'm sure the actual presidential election works in a similar way too

i thought these super delegates are counted as more then one , super weird system.

It's a bit like how MPs tend to get an extra level of voting clout over ordinary party members when political parties in the UK select a new party leader. Senators, governors etc get to be delegates alongside the ones that are selected in the primaries. That favours Clinton, but that isn't the only problem for Bernie Sanders. Iowa and New Hampshire are very white in population terms and he has struggled to gain support among black and Hispanic voters.

I can't claim to have any in depth knowledge of US culture but I find it hard to understand why Democratic ethnic miorities are more 'small c' conservative than their white counterparts.

I can't claim to have any in depth knowledge of US culture but I find it hard to understand why Democratic ethnic miorities are more 'small c' conservative than their white counterparts.

Because we are at a point in time when a lot of these ethnic minorites have now actually "made" it,if that makes sense

Because we are at a point in time when a lot of these ethnic minorites have now actually "made" it,if that makes sense

I'm sure that's the case but I'm also fairly certain that in overall terms ethnic minorities still have a lower standard of living than their white counterparts. Yet huge swathes of white Democratic supporters are looking for a more radical solution; particularly under 45's.

There's also the fact that many of the countries that share a continent with the USA have a recent history of far-left regimes. The Cuban American population seem as right wing as they come e.g.

I'd imagine it's a similar situation as Eastern Europe being largely pretty right wing now.

Not so much a question of right vs left, more that Clinton (Bill) is seen by minority communities as having a pretty good record in delivering for them, and they expect Hillary to do the same.

Not so much a question of right vs left, more that Clinton (Bill) is seen by minority communities as having a pretty good record in delivering for them, and they expect Hillary to do the same.

This. It's track record stuff. The Clinton Administration was seen as a success story especially for African Americans on both jobs and civil rights. Sanders, by contrast, hasn't really got much of a track record with these communities, having basically spent a lifetime running a city in one of the whitest states in the Union.

Is essentially allowing the politicians within Democratic party to allocate their own delegate vote. A system that's designed to favour the establishment candidate. The system came about because the Democratic party were getting sick of not getting their chosen candidates, and believing it was costing them elections. The problem with the system is not so much the existence of it, but the fact that they have too many delegate votes. If Sanders comfortably wins the popular vote, but loses the race on the sole basis of superdelegate votes, then that could lead to civil war within the party.

Archived