Morton v Stirling

We all knew there was snow forecast, why wouldn't covers be down?

Just a guess here, but I'm pretty sure that a fairly large team of people are needed to get the covers down/take them back up again. Maybe we didn't have the manpower available to get the covers down yesterday evening after the Celtic U20s game was played.

Not an excuse of course, but an explanation none the less.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all knew there was snow forecast, why wouldn't covers be down?

Because the weight of snow on the covers makes them too heavy to handle without fear of ripping them and shovelling snow off them also risks damage. And anyway, if you have to shovel snow, you might as well do it from the pitch directly. The covers are an insulation blanket only intended to protect from frost. They are not for protecting from precipitation either snow or rain.

Because the weight of snow on the covers makes them too heavy to handle without fear of ripping them and shovelling snow off them also risks damage. And anyway, if you have to shovel snow, you might as well do it from the pitch directly. The covers are an insulation blanket only intended to protect from frost. They are not for protecting from precipitation either snow or rain.

Erm yes: so the obvious practical alternative to risking ripping the covers is to, erm, not use them at all. They weren't used against frost for the first match and weren't used against a blatantly obvious snow forecast this time: making them less useful than a chocolate fireguard.

Perhaps with McManus suffering the effects of his crash and Peaso still short of fitness, maybe Duffy decided not to try too hard to get this game on.

McManus is on twitter saying he's buzzing for tonight's game and hopes that it's on..

Doesn't seem to be suffering much as a result of the crash.

I can't understand why the club don't ask people to come down and help brush it off? Surely then the game would be in no doubt at all rather than just let it melt and water log the pitch.

Been lookin for reason to leave work too :lol:

erm. You appear to have created an account purely to argue with VikingTon. 23 posts and most are aimed in his general direction. Carry on "not biting" though... :rolleyes:

Nah, not at all. Admittedly the majority of my posts have been about the overwhelming amount of backbiting and negativity on here from some of the utter whamees and wallopers that, allegedly, support Morton, but the fact that most of them may be aimed at or in response to the Virgin is down to this - he's posted some stuff that I disagree with and I've challenged it. If he keeps biting, and it amuses me to, I'll respond.Given the amount of guff he posts, it's no surprise that he's been the subject of many of my posts so far. Simples.

Spoke to mark just there at the ground, he said standside is just mud under the snow and cant brush as it will damage the park, with only 1 hour its unlikely to go ahead.

He also said they couldnt agree for a referee to come at 3pm hence why its brought forward.

Its shame because it is clearing quickly.

Playing on a pitch tends to damage it to some degree - most of the time it's fixable before the next match, and whilst I doubt one game will make a difference, these things do add up - just look to Gretna groundsharing with Motherwell for what happens when a pitch doesn't get some R&R...

'Course it damages it to a degree. I've a mate who is a very good groundsman with experience of football 7 rugby pitch and golf course greenkeeping, he even knows Mark Farrell, and he ain't overly concerned about our pitch. Motherwell's pitch had soil and drainage problems that don't apply at Cappielow.

I'm more concerned about what the amount of combined snow & rain will do to the prospects of a game tonight, maybe the later that pitch inspection is the better.......

Archived