Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like others, quite surprised by some of the selections. Think GMS and Griffiths are very unlucky not to be included at the expense of Forrest and May, who has had a pretty quiet time of it at Sheffield Wednesday. Arfield also unfortunate but perhaps slightly too similar to other players already in the squad.

Ritchie is a handy player so will be good to have a look and Rhodes' scoring record speaks for itself.

James Forrest :lol: :lol: :lol:

OYF.

Seriously though, disappointed not to see Arfield or even George Boyd in there but looks as if WGS is sticking with the majority of the players who've got us this far.

Excited to see what Ritchie can do though, he'll be flying after the season Bournemouth are having.

Can you hear them coming?

It's all the people who are going to say we should abandon our normal formation and play 4-4-2 for these games...

They've always been here I'm afraid.

To be honest though, you could probably get away with it for Gibraltar, but what would be the point? I'd much rather they played the system they were going to play against the likes of Germany and Poland rather than be thrown into a system that they have no intention of using when it really matters.

Can you hear them coming?

It's all the people who are going to say we should abandon our normal formation and play 4-4-2 for these games...

Our 4-4-1-1 formation isn't a million miles off a 4-4-2 anyway.

Few surprises in the squad; Arfield, Boyd and Philips are the main surprise omissions, and obviously this Bournemouth guy is going to be a new name to many, but if everyone's fit you can pretty much pick the majority of the starters anyway.

Is Grant Hanley injured or completely out of the scene at Blackburn? I presume the former.

There seems to be a slight pattern with the squad in relation to celtic players. They have a hectic schedule coming up and bringing in a player from there team who maybe will benefit from competitive game time as opposed to GMS, Armstrong, Griffiths and Mulgrew(who will be fit by the time these games come up).

Brown has to be included as captain but there definitely doing celtic a favour by not calling up the other 4 players mentioned. On form GMS(ahead of bannan),Armstrong(ahead of forrest) and Griffiths(ahead of may) for me should be in the squad and if Mulgrew is fit he should be as well as he has been one of our best players recently and with hanley out he could of stepped back in to cb.

There seems to be a slight pattern with the squad in relation to celtic players. They have a hectic schedule coming up and bringing in a player from there team who maybe will benefit from competitive game time as opposed to GMS, Armstrong, Griffiths and Mulgrew(who will be fit by the time these games come up).

Brown has to be included as captain but there definitely doing celtic a favour by not calling up the other 4 players mentioned. On form GMS(ahead of bannan),Armstrong(ahead of forrest) and Griffiths(ahead of may) for me should be in the squad and if Mulgrew is fit he should be as well as he has been one of our best players recently and with hanley out he could of stepped back in to cb.

Are you suggesting WGS never called these players up to help Celtic win the league? :lol:

Tinfoil hat stuff here.

What about Arfield and Jack for who replace?

From what I thought two weeks ago...

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Allan McGregor

Gordon Greer
Grant Hanley
Alan Hutton
Russell Martin
Mark Reynolds
Andrew Robertson
Steven Whittaker

Ikechi Anya
Stuart Armstrong
Barry Bannan
Scott Brown
Darren Fletcher
Gary Mackay-Steven
Shaun Maloney
James McArthur
James Morrison
Charlie Mulgrew

Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths
Chris Martin
Steven Naismith
Johnny Russell

Hanley, Mulgrew and Martin (injured), Armstrong, Mackay-Steven and Griffiths (not preferred).

Replaced with Berra, Forsyth, Rhodes, Forrest, May, McCormack and Ritchie in.

The only genuine surprises for me are: Armstrong not being included, I think he's been very good for Celtic and was having a great season with Dundee United anyway, and Ritchie's call-up as I never knew he was eligible. Slight surprise for Rhodes and Forrest.

Archived