Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

Rhodes is a weird one. Scores for fun but can't get a game. Should be no reason why he shouldnt get a shout against the minnow teams though.

He needs to get out of the £8m-12m handcuffs situation he's in at Blackburn. one way would be to play out of his skin and prove he's worth £15m or whatever, but he seems to have hit a plateau recently and hasn't tempted anyone to take that risk.

As Roy Keane said recently "It's easy to look at Rhodes and focus on what he can't do rather than appreciate what he can do". he was saying that as an admission of having got it wrong by letting Rhodes leave Ipswich for peanuts.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes is a weird one. Scores for fun but can't get a game. Should be no reason why he shouldnt get a shout against the minnow teams though.

Guy on the Times podcast is a Blackburn fan and says he doesn't contribute anything other than goals. A fair few of them, mind, but not enough to contribute at a higher level. He's basically a younger Kris Boyd who keeps getting linked with sideways moves.

That said, I think I'd have him in the squad just in case the need for a Liechtenstein style last minute winner is required against Gibraltar.

I hope every eligible selik player is selected, trained to exhaustion, played for all 90 mins and picks up a niggly injury for the title run-in (such as it is).

No Aberdeen players selected (pretty likely anyway) so our lads get more rest/training time.

Who said he had to play before anyone? He is an excellent player playing very well in a top league. He is due a call-up. And he isn't a sitting midfielder he plays wide.

He plays wide right or left, is a tremendous player and still quite young. Its a total no-brainer.

Paul Caddis is definitely also due a call-up, should be challenging Whittaker for number 2 right-back slot.

Tremendous player and still quite young?

He's bang average and he's nearly 27. What a load of nonsense. If Burnley get relegated he'll go down with them.

He is miles off it.

I know you can. But I see absolutely no point of doing that. People ahead of him at the moment and that have been/will be back involved in squads

Centre midfielders

Brown/Morrison/Fletcher/McArthur/Mulgrew/Adam

The 3 behind the striker

Maloney/Anya/Naismith/Bannan/Morrison/Russell/Dorrans/Bryson/Armstrong/GMS/Snodgrass

He's so far out the picture, nearly 27, hardly has youth on his side. He's played well in the EPL this season and I wouldn't mind it if he got called up but it's hardly a dead cert or something that needs to happen. I can't see what he will add that we are currently missing tbh.

Aye, this.

Tremendous player and still quite young?

He's bang average and he's nearly 27. What a load of nonsense. If Burnley get relegated he'll go down with them.

He is miles off it.

Aye, this.

You could say the same about, say, Barry Bannan, but he's done a v. good job for us.

I'm not particularly excited about Arfield, but he's worth a look.

I would only be interested in bringing in new players to the squad if they will genuionely improve us. There is no point in adding an arfield at 27 when there is already brown, fletcher, morrison, mulgrew for the midfield before mentioning other guys who have more experience in the team.

I'd be looking to bring in the armstrongs, gaulds and maybe even GMS on his great start at celtic. These guys are exciting prospects and these two games are a great opportunity to test them out.

Snodgrass is injured still and Maloney not playing atm plus is getting on a bit so we need to fill that 3 behind the striker

Snodgrass is injured still and Maloney not playing atm plus is getting on a bit so we need to fill that 3 behind the striker

For the 3 IMO 1st choice;

Snodgrass/Naismith/Anya

2nd choice

Armstrong/Maloney/Russell

3rd choice

GMS/Bryson/Dorrans

Just bought a ticket on the website for the first time (usually have someone else doing it) in ages. Booking fees and after scrounging £35 or £45 off the supporters is ridiculous. I know t's only £3, but they're already getting a fair whack from the ticket.

No bothering with the Northern Ireland game, watch that one in the house.

Yup, certainly looked the standout for them today. Not hard considering how poor they are but still.

Also, no David Marshall in the Cardiff squad. Assume he's injured? Whatever the reason, looks like a possible opening for Craig Gordon seen as Mcgregor missed the last squad and has been shaky since

Yup, certainly looked the standout for them today. Not hard considering how poor they are but still.

Also, no David Marshall in the Cardiff squad. Assume he's injured? Whatever the reason, looks like a possible opening for Craig Gordon seen as Mcgregor missed the last squad and has been shaky since

Would suggest that wouldn't necessarily be the worst news of all. I think Gordon's the best of the three.

Would suggest that wouldn't necessarily be the worst news of all. I think Gordon's the best of the three.

Agreed. Gives Strachan the perfect opportunity to get him back starting for us. Marshall is good, Mcgregor too, but Gordon is class.

Rhodes scores again today. That's a decent wee run he's on. If Chris martin is injured and he (Rhodes) still gets overlooked for opposition like we've got coming up then he's got little chance of a recall under Strachan

Agreed. Thought Marshall would have gotten a move in the Summer and if he'd stayed in the premiership then he could have held on to number one. as you say though, with Gordon fit and in form, he's comfortably the best of the three so great chance to get him back to where he belongs

Conway also on the scoresheet again for Blackburn - remember him playing once at Hampden and missing a big chance (USA? Possibly Belgium?). Anyone seen much of him. Again, he plays in a position where we have plenty of options already. Not the youngest either I don't think

EDIT: Stevie May has just scored for Wednesday

Archived