Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

Interesting that the scorers of the best goals in the EPL yesterday are both eligible, never been impressed with either before but I'd be inclined to get one of them in, probably Phillips due to his pace.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Rhodes, I can't shift the feeling that Strachan just doesn't rate him.

I think he's alluded to such in the past.

I've no doubt there's been dialogue between them, Strachan doesn't seem the type to just blank someone, best thing Rhodes could do is play himself towards a move to the Premiership, if he still scores at that level, he couldn't ignore him.

Pretty sure Strachan has said before that Rhodes doesn't suit his tactics. Rhodes doesn't do much moving, much like Kris Boyd. Absolutely no use to us the way we play, that's why Naismith and Fletcher will always be ahead of him.

Pretty sure Strachan has said before that Rhodes doesn't suit his tactics. Rhodes doesn't do much moving, much like Kris Boyd. Absolutely no use to us the way we play, that's why Naismith and Fletcher will always be ahead of him.

Fletcher's hardly a 'mover' either. What he does have is excellent first touch and control.

It's a myth that Rhodes sits on the penalty spot waiting for chances. As I said earlier, watch the highlights on the Football League Show from last night and you'll see him chasing back as the last man.

Fletcher's hardly a 'mover' either. What he does have is excellent first touch and control.

It's a myth that Rhodes sits on the penalty spot waiting for chances. As I said earlier, watch the highlights on the Football League Show from last night and you'll see him chasing back as the last man.

I don't think he sits on the penalty spot waiting for chances, and I don't think there's anything wrong with his work rate. But we can't afford to carry someone who offers so little in our build up play, not in terms of effort, just in terms of skill and ability.

Fletcher is ideal for the role because of his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Naismith is a different type of player but can do a job up there and is good at diving and winning free-kicks - like the one that led to the corner and goal against Ireland. It's any one from 3 or 4 after that. Chris Martin has looked poor so far but I think Strachan likes him for the reason I mentioned earlier in that he can hold the ball up and bring others into play (although we've seen little of this so far).

And for all the hype about Rhodes' scoring record, it's not much better than any of the other main strikers at that level. Since the start of last season Chris Martin has 36 goals, Ross McCormack has 39 and Rhodes has 41. So even if you're looking for a striker after Fletcher and Naismith and your main criteria was goalscoring it still wouldn't be a done deal that you'd pick him. The three of them are much of a muchness.

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)
Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Craig Forsyth (Derby County)
Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielder
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Barry Bannan (Bolton Wanderers)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
James Forrest (Celtic)
Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)
Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth)
Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Forwards
Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)
Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday)
Ross McCormack (Fulham)
Steven Naismith (Everton)
Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

That's the full squad. Surprised to see that GMS and Armstrong haven't made it. No Bardsley, Matt Philips, Scott Arfield, George Boyd etc either.

It's nice to have some decent strength in depth, especially with Snodgrass still to come back too.

Surprised that Arfield and Armstrong aren't in the squad (out of interest, how is Craig Bryson doing this season?). However it's nice to have a #dilemma about who should be called up.

Archived