Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

Scott Arfield has been a good servant for Burnley this season, playing regularly in one of the best leagues in the world. Wouldn't mind him being called up, impressed me any time I've seen Burnley on the tele, even though they are quite shoite.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

r.

Of course he should, that's just idiotic. Had a tremendous season.

Who would he play before? He's nowhere near good enough to be one of the sitting midfielders, and again nowhere near good enough to be played behind the striker. He isn't going to get any better so it just strikes me as a totally pointless callup.

Who would he play before? He's nowhere near good enough to be one of the sitting midfielders, and again nowhere near good enough to be played behind the striker. He isn't going to get any better so it just strikes me as a totally pointless callup.

This is it, Arfield would've been handy 10 year ago. Now though he is wayyyyyyyyyyy down the pecking order in the midfield. Would be pointless.

Who said he had to play before anyone? He is an excellent player playing very well in a top league. He is due a call-up. And he isn't a sitting midfielder he plays wide.

This is it, Arfield would've been handy 10 year ago. Now though he is wayyyyyyyyyyy down the pecking order in the midfield. Would be pointless.

He plays wide right or left, is a tremendous player and still quite young. Its a total no-brainer.

Paul Caddis is definitely also due a call-up, should be challenging Whittaker for number 2 right-back slot.

Why does anyone need to get dropped? International squads are transient and you can name as many as you want.

Do we have a set squad that we name every time? Do we f**k, so a quality young-ish player playing extremely well in the toughest league in the world is a total no-brainer of a call-up. I'll be amazed if he's not involved.

Or maybe we should overlook him in favour of those other wide players we have who have played 27 times in the premiership this season like.....erm......

Why does anyone need to get dropped? International squads are transient and you can name as many as you want.

I know you can. But I see absolutely no point of doing that. People ahead of him at the moment and that have been/will be back involved in squads

Centre midfielders

Brown/Morrison/Fletcher/McArthur/Mulgrew/Adam

The 3 behind the striker

Maloney/Anya/Naismith/Bannan/Morrison/Russell/Dorrans/Bryson/Armstrong/GMS/Snodgrass

He's so far out the picture, nearly 27, hardly has youth on his side. He's played well in the EPL this season and I wouldn't mind it if he got called up but it's hardly a dead cert or something that needs to happen. I can't see what he will add that we are currently missing tbh.

Who said he had to play before anyone? He is an excellent player playing very well in a top league. He is due a call-up. And he isn't a sitting midfielder he plays wide.

He plays wide right or left, is a tremendous player and still quite young. Its a total no-brainer.

Paul Caddis is definitely also due a call-up, should be challenging Whittaker for number 2 right-back slot.

Caddis Number 2 RB? Hutton/Bardsley/Whittaker ahead of him surely?

Strachan doesn't seem to rate Bardsley at all and Whittaker's legs are going. We need to be looking elsewhere soon.

As for Arfield we'll agree to disagree. The players you mentioned only what about 5 midfielders from a team that usually starts with 3, including Adam who barely sees a minute of football these days. And wide you have people like Snodgrass who are injured and several who play at a lower level than Arfield.

Infact 8 out of the 11 you listed play at a lower level than him.

Strachan doesn't seem to rate Bardsley at all and Whittaker's legs are going. We need to be looking elsewhere soon.

As for Arfield we'll agree to disagree. The players you mentioned only what about 5 midfielders from a team that usually starts with 3, including Adam who barely sees a minute of football these days. And wide you have people like Snodgrass who are injured and several who play at a lower level than Arfield.

The level they play at doesn't totally determine how good a player you are though to be fair. Especially when we are comparing lower half EPL teams to upper half Championship teams. I just don't see what Arfield will bring that we don't have. I'd like to see Armstrong involved much more in that 3 behind the striker. In central midfield we are always going to have 2 fit from the 5 I've mentioned.

I agree about RB though. God knows what we are gonna do when Whittaker/Hutton/Bardsley pack it in, they're all of a similar age are they not, Caddis aswell. Can't think of any young Scottish RBs that stick out atm tbh.

As long as Charlie Adam isn't in it I'll be happy enough.

I put him 6th choice CM, but after Wales I hope the boys never near a Scotland strip again. After that incredible season at Blackpool I was expecting him to turn into some sort of Xabi Alonso for Scotland... :lol:

I put him 6th choice CM, but after Wales I hope the boys never near a Scotland strip again. After that incredible season at Blackpool I was expecting him to turn into some sort of Xabi Alonso for Scotland... :lol:

Flabby Alonso, more like

Archived