The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Seriously, when was the last time we had a bit of off-field news that was bad coming out of RP? All this good stuff is probably well overdue after the all-too-faint glimmers of hope we had under the previous regime. 

Edited by Andy_K_97

Happy Hooky [emoji3] ........

For the vast majority of Kilmarnock supporters, manager Steve Clarke is already being hailed as a club icon.

And from one Killie hero to another, Garry Hay has described the impact the new boss has made as “frightening”.

As a steadfast supporter of the Ayrshire club, the 2012 League Cup winner can’t get enough of Clarke-mania.

With eight league games of the campaign to spare, Saltcoats-born Clarke has steered Killie from relegation favourites to finishing in the top six for the first time in seven years.

The last team to achieve the feat were Mixu Paatelainen and Kenny Shiels’ side of 2010/11, of which Hay was a part of.

And the former left-back, who made 353 appearances across 14 years at Kilmarnock, spoke of his admiration for the current gaffer’s influence at Rugby Park.

Hay said: “The impact he’s had is frightening. It has been way beyond what I was expecting.

“Obviously he came with a very good pedigree and a very good reputation and you thought there would be a positive response.

“But it’s been incredible and we’ve gone on a fantastic run of results.

“You see things on Twitter like how many points Steve Clarke has taken since he took over and we’d be sitting second in the table.

“Everyone is loving it — it’s a superb job he’s done.”

After playing under Paatelainen, Hay knows what it’s like to be led by a highly-skilled manager.

He also knows that, for a club like Kilmarnock, keeping hold of their prized asset is difficult — as demonstrated when Paatelainen departed Rugby Park for the Finland job.

But Hay is hopeful Billy Bowie’s recent announcement on Twitter is true and Clarke will prolong his stay in Ayrshire.

Hay said: “He’s getting the best out of the players that were there before.

“It’s a bit like when I played with the team and Mixu was boss — Clarke has turned average players into much better players.

“It was brilliant to see Billy saying Clarke is going nowhere.

“Although if Barcelona come calling, I don’t think anyone will be stopping him! But hopefully he does stay.”

Clarke’s imperious stature as one of the most skilled managers in the Scottish Premiership further heightened as he and his players achieved a superb 1-0 victory over Rangers at Ibrox.

It stretched his unbeaten run against the Old Firm to five games and Hay praised Clarke for rejuvenating a squad that looked set for a relegation battle before he arrived.

Hay said: “He seems to have a core of about 20 boys and they all know what they’re meant to be doing. The standard of every player has gone up.

“It is great. For the Killie boys now, beating Rangers and Celtic must just feel like another three points!”

For each league game from now until the end of the campaign, three points will be Clarke’s priority, despite the club sitting pretty in the top six.

But Killie are hot on Hibs’ tails in the battle for fourth place and Hay thinks Clarke and his players won’t be preparing for holiday mode just yet.

He said: “The manager will rightly get the plaudits but the players absolutely should too for getting into the top six — the consistency of a lot of the players has been incredible.

“For a provincial club like Killie, it is difficult but it has been fully deserved this season.

“We’ve stretched our lead over Hearts and there’s no reason why we can’t push Hibs.

“I’m pretty sure Steve and the players won’t be getting the cigars out yet because they can still turn what has been a great season into a fantastic season by pushing for fourth place.”

(Standard)

Seriously, when was the last time we had a bit of off-field news that was bad coming out of RP? All this good stuff is probably well overdue after the all-too-faint glimmers of hope we had under the previous regime. 
BB is just putting the house in order Andy [emoji3]

That's fucking tremendous news about Power.  Genuinely delighted about that.

I did see on Twitter the other day, when Greg Kiltie announced his new contract, Dicker replied along the lines of "I need to get the same agent as you".

So it looks like signing talks have been discussed, but not finalised.  That said, I think Dicker's family still live down south?  I know Alan Power moved his family up here.

That's fucking tremendous news about Power.  Genuinely delighted about that.
I did see on Twitter the other day, when Greg Kiltie announced his new contract, Dicker replied along the lines of "I need to get the same agent as you".
So it looks like signing talks have been discussed, but not finalised.  That said, I think Dicker's family still live down south?  I know Alan Power moved his family up here.
That was a tongue in cheek comment to Kiltie due to the amount of time he's spent in the treatment room with his knee & ankle injuries.

I do think we are trying to get Dicker signed back up but he may prefer to move back down south to be closer to his family, time will tell I guess.

22 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

That was a tongue in cheek comment to Kiltie due to the amount of time he's spent in the treatment room with his knee & ankle injuries.

I do think we are trying to get Dicker signed back up but he may prefer to move back down south to be closer to his family, time will tell I guess.

I hope not.  If we can get Dicker tied down for next season and (optimistically) Mulumbu, that would be huge.

I'd be astonished if Mulumbu is here after the summer though.

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Anyone else noticed all 3 players signed back up this week are only till 2020, funnily enough till the end of SC's tenure. No coincidence, imo, as SC is going nowhere.

No no no no C4mmy SSC will jump ship s soon as Barry Ferguson/Alex Rae /Gordon Smith/Davie Proven  click one of there 6 fingers 

Big Eck talking up the work SC is doing at Rugby Park on TalkSport and that a couple of the team are well worth a look at being involved in future squads, the positivity continues at a pace.

O'Donnell probably one he's thinking of, who else, Taylor or Brophy?