115,000 SNP Members

Colkitto

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After this absolute shite from the Telegraph this evening, I'm incredibly tempted to join the SNP. Never thought I'd see the day.

I was determined not to join all the way through the indy ref and beyond. After the debate and the Telegraph smear I just had to. It felt great. You should try it :)

The London branch apparently has more members than the liberal democrats in Scotland.

We welcome all.

I can understand Scottish expats etc joining the SNP but people down South with no connection to Scotland scrambling to join seems very weird to me.

What I'd like to see is an English National Party to be formed that stands on a Left Wing platform alongside the SNP and Plaid. As it stands there are a handful of English nationalist groups but they are all far right types, one of which called for the forced repatriation of all English born people that have emigrated elsewhere.

I can understand Scottish expats etc joining the SNP but people down South with no connection to Scotland scrambling to join seems very weird to me.

What I'd like to see is an English National Party to be formed that stands on a Left Wing platform alongside the SNP and Plaid. As it stands there are a handful of English nationalist groups but they are all far right types, one of which called for the forced repatriation of all English born people that have emigrated elsewhere.

Never happen. The left are too splintered in the ruk. Kool aid thinking.

Never happen. The left are too splintered in the ruk. Kool aid thinking.

I am not talking about the far left loonies that vote for the English equivalents of the SSP, I mean centre left types that probably voted Lib Dem in the past and are Labour/Green now

I am not talking about the far left loonies that vote for the English equivalents of the SSP, I mean centre left types that probably voted Lib Dem in the past and are Labour/Green now

It would need a seismic jolt to prompt an entente.

The only thing that would prompt that kind of realignment of the English centre left is Scottish independence. Because they would have too.

But then that argument was done to death over the 2014 referendum.

Was turned from a labour voter into an snp voter from the excellent arguments and points from people on this forum but I'm not sure about all women short lists. Surely the best person is the best person no matter what.

Most MPs go to private schools and the same 10 unis so let's deal with that first.

Was turned from a labour voter into an snp voter from the excellent arguments and points from people on this forum but I'm not sure about all women short lists. Surely the best person is the best person no matter what.

Most MPs go to private schools and the same 10 unis so let's deal with that first.

How many SNP candidates do you reckon are Oxbridge a nd private school educated?

I don't believe that reacting to the injustice of a few hundred or so privileged rich kids getting to rule the country is to create another set of rules that entitles more people who don't deserve the job to rule over us.

Who cares if they are female, male, black, gay whatever?

Seen it in workplaces positive discrimination its a joke. Really disappointed in the snp in this.

I don't believe that reacting to the injustice of a few hundred or so privileged rich kids getting to rule the country is to create another set of rules that entitles more people who don't deserve the job to rule over us.

Seen it in workplaces positive discrimination its a joke. Really disappointed in the snp in this.

I've given my thoughts about this elsewhere so I'm not going to go over old ground other than I agree with you.

However after much reflection, and after talking to others who are like minded I came to the conclusion that there are far more important issues at the moment. 2016 candidate selection could be interesting however.

Would be nice if England had an electable left wing option but I wouldn't be branding it as English nationalism - awful connotations. That term makes me think of folk chucking plastic chairs around holiday resorts, not forward thinking politics.

Not sure there's enough left of centre folk in England (or Wales arguably), to satisfy the desires of the Borgen watching type population tbh.

The best bet is The Greens getting their act together and dragging Labour left, a la UKIP and The Tories. Total long shot of that happening.

The newly established North East Party are pretty far to the left I would think? This is there first election so not expecting much but hopefully they continue to build and gather support. Their 2015 manifesto is available on their site.

- Want to create a separate North East government and abolish the current system.

- Want to get rid of council tax completely and replace it with a modern land/house tax thingy?

- Anti Trident and austerity (although they don't specifically say this, it's clear through their want to invest rather than cut)

They are also big supporters of SNP/Plaid etc so that should indicate where in spectrum they are at the moment.

I care if they are not. Which is the system we currently have.

Unfortunately for all the meritocratists and foot stampers out there your system is utterly without credibility.

Geneder balance ensures we do get the best people for the job. Unless you are suggesting it is the natural state of things that men are naturally more talented and able than women and a 50/50 split creates an unnatural situation?

If you have been on the " wrong end " of positive discrimination at work in one instance I would put that down to poor timing/ luck. If it consistently holds you back in life I would suggest the problem lies closer to home.

The same argument applies to both: if you have a truly open contest, then underlying social advantages will mean that change only comes very slowly. It's taken 100 years for women to have the representation that they currently do, which still isn't in line with what would be expected if the process were truly meritocratic (unless you subscribe to sexist bollocks about women being inherently less suitable or less inclined to politics than men). All-women lists are a strictly short-term way of bumping the number of women selected so as to address the social issue whereby women are dissuaded from engaging in politics because they see it as a man's world. And ultimately, there is nothing stopping qualified men who find themselves excluded from a given seat in one election cycle from standing elsewhere, so scare stories about qualified men somehow being lost to politics are totally unfounded.

Archived