Harry Kane Hype

DeeTillEhDeh

The point was made by someone that the Scottish media would be hyping up any Scottish striker who scored 30 goals in a top flight as much as the English media are with Kane. I pointed out May virtually got this magical 30 goals in a top flight yet never really received masses of hype to the same degree, so his point was invalid.

Not sure what the problem is here.

Oh, I thought you were intentionally ignoring the point rather than accidentally missing it. The original point was nothing to do with "a top flight", it was about the English Premiership. He said if any Scottish player had scored 30 goals in the Premiership then the TA would be giving them the hype. May scoring 27 goals in a poor league is not the same as Kane scoring 30 goals in the English Premiership, as you know.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I thought you were intentionally ignoring the point rather than accidentally missing it. The original point was nothing to do with "a top flight", it was about the English Premiership. He said if any Scottish player had scored 30 goals in the Premiership then the TA would be giving them the hype. May scoring 27 goals in a poor league is not the same as Kane scoring 30 goals in the English Premiership, as you know.

I've clearly misread it then, thanks for the overly aggressive recap of it all.

I hope you don't have children tbh.

I really like Kane and have watched him a fair few times this season. I think he'll be less susceptible to injury like a lot of young players because pace isn't the main part of his game. I think he links up very well with Eriksen and he makes clever runs that useless lumps like Soldado and Adebayor don't. He is one of the few English players that I like and he seems to have stayed grounded thus far.

I hope that the predictions by posters on here are about as accurate as the constant 'Premier League's bubble is going to burst in 5 years' type post and he continues to score.

I've clearly misread it then, thanks for the overly aggressive recap of it all.

I hope you don't have children tbh.

My post was overly aggressive? :huh:

I don't think there was anything in my post even slightly aggressive, you must have had a sheltered life.

My post was overly aggressive? :huh:

I don't think there was anything in my post even slightly aggressive, you must have had a sheltered life.

I think, due to my posting style, I'm just used to aggressive replies, so now read every post as if the person typing it is shouting at me.

For me Harry Kane is an old fashioned type striker that we don't see much at top level anymore.

The way he plays reminds me a bit of Alan Shearer where he isn't a flair type player but is a handful for defenders because of his strength, hold up play, work rate, movement and having a shot like a fucking rocket.

It's good to see that old fashioned type centre forward again.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The truth, as always seems to be the case with discussions on this forum, lies somewhere in between.

I don't think anyone can deny that the English media have a habit of hyping up their own players. I don't think it's a particularly bad thing, it's only mildly more annoying than the Scottish tendency to completely undersell themselves. They do often choose some ridiculous candidates though (Ravel Morrison always springs to mind). Harry Kane is probably the most deserving of the hype in recent times though, he's having a great season.

The main issue stems from the fact that the media can't settle for what they have, and instead blow things out of all proportion to create a story. Harry Kane's season is a good enough story in itself without making him out as a future Ballon d'Or winner. It's like when Gareth Bale emerged and got his move to Real, I remember SSN making predictable comparisons between him, Messi and Ronaldo. For Wales (or any UK nation to be honest) to have a player playing at that level is phenomenal without making pointless comparison's with two of the best players ever.

How the f**k is Fabian Delph starting consecutive games for England?

Delph, Jones and Henderson. Possibly one of the worst ever starting midfields for England.

Wayne Rooney has scored 47 goals for England.

6 of those have come in competitions (4 at Euro 2004, 1 at Euro 2012, 1 at WC 2014)

27 of those have come in qualifying for competitions

14 of those have come in friendlies

I'm going to roughly group the opposition into Top, Alright and Shite to try and gauge the quality of them

Top teams he's scored against:

Argentina (1 F) Holland (1 F) Brazil (2 F)

Alright teams he's scored against:

Croatia (3, 2 EC 1 WCQ), Switzerland (3, 2 EC 1 ECQ), Russia (1 ECQ), Ukraine (1 EC), Poland (1 WCQ), Uruguay (1 WC), Scotland (2 F)

Shite teams he's scored against:

Macedonia (1 ECQ), Liechtenstein (1 ECQ), Denmark (2 F), Iceland (2 F), Estonia (2 ECQ), Kazakhstan (3 WCQ), Belarus (2 WCQ), Slovakia (2 F), Andorra (2 WCQ), Bulgaria (2 ECQ), San Marina (4, 3 WCQ 1 ECQ), Montenegro (2 WCQ), Ecuador (1 F), Norway (1 F), Slovenia (1 ECQ), Lithuania (1 ECQ)

Now while you can't criticise someone for scoring lots of goals against shite if they regularly play shite on a regular basis as inevitably seems to be the case for England in qualifying groups, a look at his stats alone would suggest he's scoring nearly a goal every other game for his country. Most of those are against vastly inferior opposition, and only 6 have come in vaguely crucial moments (I don't know about his Euro 2004 goals but they were probably at the group stage) while he himself as the consensus best English player of the past decade has led them to the square root of f**k all, not even a moment of glorious failure beyond some ignominious petulant end to a match. You look at his stats and it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be England's top scorer ever and I'd guess he'll get close to 60 goals, probably 120+ caps if he plays up to at least the 2018 WC, but when you name a best English team ever, will he be in it? Not a chance.

Other things to note:

I see RandomGuy is moaning about havering shite, playing semantics by saying Stevie May scored loads of Premiership goals last year in an attempt to be funny, then getting annoyed when someone pointed out it means very little. Dry yer eyes.

I find Honest_Man#1's posts much more enjoyable to read with that facial expression next to them rather than Fatso. Carry on.

Oh and Harry Kane's face and voice are those of someone whose head is melting.

Archived