Bring Back the Booze

LaddingtonBear

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid law. Only thing I would say in its favour is that at least it meant we don't have to wait until 12:30 on a Sunday to buy drink. Played havoc with BBQs.

No such law down here (they just close supermarkets at 4:30 the freaks). When I lived in Scotland I'm convinced I bought (and subsequently drank) more beer. Fairly regularly I would be in a shop near 10 buying a couple of beers when I would think 'I probably only want two, but I better get more as I don't want to end up wanting another and being unable to get them.' Then, as my fridge had more beer I would end up having another couple.

Here I buy what I think I need knowing that if I really want more I can still get it. Usually, even if I do, I decide I can't be bothered and thus end up drinking less.

When I lived in Scotland I'm convinced I bought (and subsequently drank) more beer. Fairly regularly I would be in a shop near 10 buying a couple of beers when I would think 'I probably only want two, but I better get more as I don't want to end up wanting another and being unable to get them.' Then, as my fridge had more beer I would end up having another couple.

This guy... This guy gets it.

Agree with the principle. I think the draconian drink laws here actually encourage more drinking.

I know of people who stock it up in their house to avoid the licensing laws, whereas if they weren't there they wouldn't have to. Thus they end up drinking more.

i think this article is more or less spot on, the legislation - however well intended only makes things worse. i hate nightclubs. as do many other who only go so they dont have to go home at half 12. in most other european countries you dont have bizzare time limits on the purchase of alcohol and you dont see every pub and club closing at the same time putting every steaming arsehole out on the street together.

in these places you tend not to see the absolute horrorshow you do in the uk.

The sensible approach is to let pubs and clubs stay open to 5 or 6 am where appropriate. that way people who want to stay out can and the rest will go home when theyre fed up/gettin their nat king cole. rather than have everyone fighting in kebabshops and taxi ranks.

If there isn't enough time to have a good drink in the hours that the pubs etc are open, there is something far wrong. Most of the people I know have two or three drinks at home before they head out and half the women carry a bottle of vodka in their bags. Its not as if its 10pm last orders anymore is it. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for laddingtons pontifications on other subjects on this forum to work out his alias

If there isn't enough time to have a good drink in the hours that the pubs etc are open, there is something far wrong.

There is something "far wrong". We live in an age where comfy 9-5 jobs are not a commodity, and where call centres were supposed to replace coal mines in the job market. What if you're on a shift between 2 and 10, which isn't remotely uncommon? Strict licensing hours discriminate against everyone who operates outside of the old office hours, and of course the majority of these positions are lower down the pay scale.

half the women carry a bottle of vodka in their bags

Looky here everyone, this genius has solved the problem!

We should be allowed to buy booze any time we want and shouldn't be banned from drinks promotions either.

1 reason I dislike the SNP is their nannying attitude in treating all people the same as problem drinkers.

Same goes for the offensive behaviour at football where they are discriminating against football fans alone.

Snob's law.

We should be allowed to buy booze any time we want and shouldn't be banned from drinks promotions either.

1 reason I dislike the SNP is their nannying attitude in treating all people the same as problem drinkers.

Same goes for the offensive behaviour at football where they are discriminating against football fans alone.

Snob's law.

I feel your oppression.

"Publican joins popular football site for purely personal gain purposes" shocker.

This.

Joins PandB and heads straight to the politics forum with a contentious and self-interested 'petition'. Sling him.

Though maybe it's big Jim? Gluebags at ten paces then.

There is something "far wrong". We live in an age where comfy 9-5 jobs are not a commodity, and where call centres were supposed to replace coal mines in the job market. What if you're on a shift between 2 and 10, which isn't remotely uncommon? Strict licensing hours discriminate against everyone who operates outside of the old office hours, and of course the majority of these positions are lower down the pay scale.

Looky here everyone, this genius has solved the problem!

I don't need a lecture about work practice's or sarcasm from you. Draw your neck in son

Are you seriously saying that the people to blame for a person's inability to control their drinking is the government?

Really? :lol:

WTF happened to personal responsibility?

Not at all. Plenty of people, indeed the vast majority, exercise personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol. I advocate more of it not less. Give adult consumers the right to buy alcohol 24/7, and businesses the right to sell it. Works fine in other places, can't see why it shouldn't work here.

The point is that Scotland has some of the most draconian licensing laws, and some of the most expensive alcohol in the developed world. Yet despite these measures which have been implemented to discourage people drinking, we are also one of the heaviest drinking nations in the developed world.

I don't think these two facts are unrelated.

Stupid law. Only thing I would say in its favour is that at least it meant we don't have to wait until 12:30 on a Sunday to buy drink. Played havoc with BBQs.

No such law down here (they just close supermarkets at 4:30 the freaks). When I lived in Scotland I'm convinced I bought (and subsequently drank) more beer. Fairly regularly I would be in a shop near 10 buying a couple of beers when I would think 'I probably only want two, but I better get more as I don't want to end up wanting another and being unable to get them.' Then, as my fridge had more beer I would end up having another couple.

Here I buy what I think I need knowing that if I really want more I can still get it. Usually, even if I do, I decide I can't be bothered and thus end up drinking less.

This guy... This guy gets it.

That guy's Jim Murphy. Leader of Scottish Labour. Not an endorsement.

Not at all. Plenty of people, indeed the vast majority, exercise personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol. I advocate more of it not less. Give adult consumers the right to buy alcohol 24/7, and businesses the right to sell it. Works fine in other places, can't see why it shouldn't work here.

The point is that Scotland has some of the most draconian licensing laws, and some of the most expensive alcohol in the developed world. Yet despite these measures which have been implemented to discourage people drinking, we are also one of the heaviest drinking nations in the developed world.

Alcohol is shite. Why not legalise weed mate? That's a better cause.

Does this logic extend to other areas of our society? Child abuse laws for example?

Archived