Scotland's top 20 clubs

Dindeleux

Told myself I wouldn't rise to this :lol:

But I've always considered our direct peers to be Dunfermline, Thistle and St Mirren, you could rank us in any order really, and slightly below Killie and Motherwell. How can people put us below Morton, ICT or St Johnstone?

I'm 23 if that adds any context.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What defines a big club? Money, trophies, attendance, European achievement, size of the stadium, players that have played for you?

If it comes down to money, there's probably Conference sides that are bigger than the lot of us except Celtic.

If it comes down to attendance, MK Dons would be the third largest club in the top flight behind Celtic and Aberdeen?

If it comes down to European achievement are Aberdeen bigger than the likes of Newcastle etc?

It's an entirely subjective thing that involves a mix of all of them reasons for me.

You missed out owning your own stadium. That's a definite must for big clubs in the UK.

You've not won a trophy for 58 years :lol: I'm 23 and I can't think of a single relevant thing Falkirk have done .

Simon Stainrod once scored from the half way line at McDiarmid.

If this was 30 years ago, Aberdeen would rightfully be above Hearts.

Certainly not over the past 20 years or so, though. They've won a mere 13 out of our last 65 meetings stretching back over this period compared to our 34. We average considerably higher attendances season after season, have won more trophies and played in Europe more regularly.

It's not even a contest.

I think Falkirk got to one big cup final in the 90's and they stuffed us in the B and Q final in the same era, can't remember much else from them off the top of my head in the last 30 years.

Grow up.

Even on trophy count alone Celtic beat you on the only one that matters. Fanbase and avoiding going down the pan also come into my thinking when ranking clubs, but maybe that's just me.

Even on trophy count alone Celtic beat you on the only one that matters. Fanbase and avoiding going down the pan also come into my thinking when ranking clubs, but maybe that's just me.
So because Celtic won the European cup that makes them a bigger club? Fanbase? Do you have proof of this bigger fanbase?

I find looking at the league table quite helpful.

Well no. because the likes of Morton and Dunfermline are quite clearly bigger football clubs than Alloa or Cowdenbeath: despite Dunfermline's hilarious, guaranteed failure for another twelve months. You'd have to be an utter moron to insist on a single season league table as being decisive.

It's actually quite hard when you sit down to do it from your own perceptions.

Hence why you clearly need cold, hard facts to avoid making schoolboy errors like putting Ross County above Morton; one of the most successful clubs in the football history of this once-proud country, against some trophyless Brora-esque rabble.

Bang on. Just wondering how the poster above this says its based on his lifetime yet has Dundee above United? Absolutely staggering unless the guys aged about 105

Dundee have always been a far more successful football club in domestic terms than United, in any meaningful sense of the term.

Told myself I wouldn't rise to this :lol:

But I've always considered our direct peers to be Dunfermline,

Well, I guess they're yours to keep now: too tragic to keep track of, really.

Archived