Polls and predictions

Granny Danger

The absolute ideal would be a Tory/UKIP majority with 59 SNP members at Westminster.

That would hasten the day of Independence.

Nothing else matters to me.

So nicola sturgeon was telling lies at fmq today when she said "this election is not about another independance vote"

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nicola sturgeon was telling lies at fmq today when she said "this election is not about another independance vote"

Wut?

Unless Oaksoft is actually Nicola Sturgeon, then she's not lying at all. Fucking hell. :lol:

Wut?

Unless Oaksoft is actually Nicola Sturgeon, then she's not lying at all. Fucking hell. :lol:

I agree with your words...Fucking Hell.

Just watched that FMQ. Dugdale was literally about to burst out greeting. The bottom lip was definitely trembling.

Let's face it we know she's only acting on the 3 M's instruction. The howls of derision were well justified. Pink Champagne had me in stitches

And then there was that e-mail :lol:

Wut?

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

My word!

You can't be real. Do you think a poster on P&B is Nicola Sturgeon? Or that they create SNP policy?

This whole "They lied about another referendum!~!" is such utter nonsense. When did anybody "promise" there wouldn't be another one? The SNP were founded to achieve Scottish independence so there should never be a moment when they aren't actively trying to get independence for Scotland. Apparently this horrifies people, maybe because the way things are going, it wouldn't be a "No" this time.

I hope they don't include a referendum in next year's manifesto, and leave it till 2020. Hopefully they'll have enough clout at Westminster for the next 5 years to establish the ground rules for a potential orderly hand over of power, clarifying the issues of currency, sharing of Bank of England assets and liabilities, pensions, EU membership etc., the things that fcuked them up in the referendum.

I hope they don't include a referendum in next year's manifesto, and leave it till 2020. Hopefully they'll have enough clout at Westminster for the next 5 years to establish the ground rules for a potential orderly hand over of power, clarifying the issues of currency, sharing of Bank of England assets and liabilities, pensions, EU membership etc., the things that fcuked them up in the referendum.

I'd agree with this. Seems fair enough. We should only consider a referendum if it looks likely to succeed. We couldn't chance a 3rd go.

I still don't think we should be getting carried away with these polls. The pollsters can be wrong however unlikely it is and I won't be comfortable until the figures are repeated for real on the 7th of May.

382.gif

So - if the current polls are about right and we have a hung parliament - what are the mechanics likely to be after the election?

I read that it's supposed to be two weeks after the election before parliament sits again, so I take it they have that long to sort themselves out...

1) Tories as the largest party (276 seats?) get first shot at forming the government...but even with Lib Dems (27), DUP (9) and UKIP (3) that's only 315 vs the 322* that they will need to survive a confidence vote. {*650 - 5 Sinn Fein seats - 1 speaker = 644 / 2 = 322}

So Tories couldn't put forward a Queen's Speech because Labour (267), SNP (55), Plaid (3), SDLP (3) and Greens (1) will vote it down (329 in total).

2) As the next largest party, Labour get second shot at forming the government. They won't work with the SNP on any formal basis, but together they'd have 322 seats and - with Plaid, SDLP and Greens if necessary - they could at least get the show on the road and pass a Queen's Speech comfortably.

3) Once a minority Labour government is underway the Tory bloc won't have enough seats/votes to carry a vote of no confidence so, whilst the SNP could fail to back a Labour budget for whatever reason, it would merely mean all parties getting back around the negotiating table - as happened in Holyrood with the SNP minority administration and the Scottish Tories - to sort out something enough of them could vote for.

My understanding is that we can only get another general election before May 2020 if a vote of no confidence in the government is passed (323 votes?) and is not overturned within two weeks by a further vote of confidence in the government; or, if at least two-thirds of parliament votes for another election (which the two biggest parties seem unlikely to agree on).

There is also the possibility of the Lib-Dems teaming up with Labour but, since this won't be enough seats to command an outright majority, why would Labour bother to compromise/give away Cabinet seats to the Lib-Dems?

So the likely outcome seems to be a minority Labour government that get's its Queen's Speech through each year, but has to negotiate on budgetary details...?

Archived