Your Favourite Ever Console?

19QOS19

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N64, it has a lot of games that have really stood the test of time and would feature in most top 10's. There is good consoles, which people seem to forget. Mainly Turbo Grapx16, Neo Geo AES and Sega Saturn. I was actually playing some Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn earlier, which is probably the best shmup of all time.

It's between the original GameBoy and the PS1 for me.

I've owned Spectrum +3, GameBoy, PS1, PS2, PS3, GameBoy Advance, PS3, Wii and 3DS. Nintendo do the better handheld consoles, Sony the better main consoles.

I don't think the later PS consoles have matched the fun factor of the original - games might be more realistic, but they're not necessarily better. Master League mode on Pro Evo alone puts the PS1 right up there.

But in terms of hours played and pure enjoyment, it's the GameBoy for me. A solid library of games, some stone-cold classics. Zelda, Mario, Tetris, Micro Machines... Wonderful.

Pc is my favourite games machine, the variety and depth of the pc games were fat beyond what was available on console at the time. Still is, just not to the same extent. Half life, tie fighter, doom/quake/Duke nukes, monkey island et al

As for consoles, it's a tough choice between ps1 & snes for me. I'd probably go for the ps1,because that was mine, where all the consoles before had belonged to my brother. Games I loved were tekken 2/3,colin mcrae rally, ff7, metal gear solid, parappa the rapper, crash bandicoot. The demo disc that came with the psm magazine was also shit hot.

Absolutely love my Xbox One, but its the Playstation for me. Contemplating buying one on amazon and getting the likes of Fifa 98, WWF Raw and smack down, the old GTA's etc.

Done that with the ps2 when i was steaming and now have close to about 40 games :lol:

Sega Gamegear would take my vote, where it all started for me (console wise) in the early 90s, first proper console was the Playstation though got it at Christmas in 1997. Stayed loyal to Playstation's since then, had an Xbox and Xbox 360 as well but they have never really captured my imagination.

N64 for Mario Kart, Goldeneye and the Pokemon games when I was a bairn. Can remember the order in which I got my games for it, I was that obsessed (Lego Racers, Fifa 99, F1 Racing 97, Mario Kart, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium)

Gamecube and Gameboy Adv SP come in 2nd and 3rd, the Gamecube was so underrated. Xbox360 and PS2 have been the consoles of uni so they'll make up the top 5.

The other ones that I've had that don't make it are the Wii (not enough decent games), the DS (too gimmicky, the best games I had were games I already had on N64) and the Snes (probably a great console but I got it after my N64 and it was a bit broken and I couldn't be arsed with it).

N64 for me

Mario Kart 64

Goldeneye

Zelda ocarina

Wave Race

Pilot Wings

My top 5 console games - I've owned all the main consoles and nothing touches them for playability.

Have a PS3 and an Xbox One but I only ever play emulators now.

• 2 weeks later...

NES. Super mario Trilogy. Legend of Zelda (gold cartridge). Wrestle mania. Duck Hunt.

Special mention to Goal - only football game I have played where throw ins were under arm. Legendary stuff.

I had this one for the NES, do this and you could never lose.

NES. Super mario Trilogy. Legend of Zelda (gold cartridge). Wrestle mania. Duck Hunt.

Special mention to Goal - only football game I have played where throw ins were under arm. Legendary stuff.

The grey cartridge of LoZ is rarer btw.

• 5 weeks later...

The Megadrive and SNES were both terrific machines with a great software library. Megadrive just edges it for me, as I can remember enjoying the games I had on it slightly more than the SNES, and it was a wee bit more stylish too.

Dropped out of the consoles after that because the first generation of 3D consoles looked appalling to me. The N64 had so many games like Turok and Superman that were hobbled because the machine wasn't powerful enough to run them, and the Playstation looked like a blocky pixellated mess. I know people like to jump on the latest tech just because it's new, but 3D could have done with waiting for more powerful machines. Everything from that era looks dreadful now, and it didn't look any better back then either.

Funny to think there were actually people wanking over Tomb Raider :lol:

Loved my SNES as a boy. I'd spend hours on it.

However, PS4 has been by far my favorite console. Purely on the basis of the games I've played since I got it at Christmas. The Last of Us, Alien Isolation and Bloodborne (onto my third play-through). All excellent. Picking up Witcher 3 next which, again, has had tremendous reviews.

The Megadrive and SNES were both terrific machines with a great software library. Megadrive just edges it for me, as I can remember enjoying the games I had on it slightly more than the SNES, and it was a wee bit more stylish too.

Dropped out of the consoles after that because the first generation of 3D consoles looked appalling to me. The N64 had so many games like Turok and Superman that were hobbled because the machine wasn't powerful enough to run them, and the Playstation looked like a blocky pixellated mess. I know people like to jump on the latest tech just because it's new, but 3D could have done with waiting for more powerful machines. Everything from that era looks dreadful now, and it didn't look any better back then either.

There was some games that they tried to push too far and looked ridiculous. Games like crash bandicoot and final fantasy 9 looked fantastic cause they knew the consoles limits.

Judging the N64 on games that werent great seems a bit odd when you consider the some of the other titles, like Super Mario, Goldeneye, Ocarina, Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart. Every console has its share of awful games.

Im not sure I could pick a favourite, to be honest. Every console Ive had was, pretty much, played to death at the time

Judging the N64 on games that werent great seems a bit odd when you consider the some of the other titles, like Super Mario, Goldeneye, Ocarina, Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart. Every console has its share of awful games.

I wasn't, honest. They were just the first two that sprang to mind that needed to have that "fog" thing to cover up the console's inability to render the scene at a decent framerate. Wasn't the original Turok supposed to be quite good, anyway?

I think anyone who'd played Doom or Duke Nukem 3D was pretty confused about why Goldeneye was such a big deal, as it was pretty poor in comparison. Aside from that, the best games on the system seemed to be all Mario or Zelda, which have always been complete anathema to me. That combined with the immature 3D rendering just put me right off that whole generation. That's all.

Best games machine to date has to be the modern PC, as you can play any of the old games up to and including the PlayStation 2, along with most of the modern releases as well. Ye cannae wack that :P

Archived