Right, I appreciate each of these have their own thread on here, but just want the masses to give their opinions on what sport they think is the best for keeping fit?.

According to many of the comments posted, both seem to have their pros and cons.

My vote obviously goes to cycling for various reasons, the main one being, it seems to cause fewer injuries to the participant ( unless they get twatted by a fuckwit driver)

Discuss

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run, swim and cycle, although I haven't been out on my bike for a while. All clearly are good ways to keep fit but I'd say that running is probably the purest way of staying fit. If I haven't been out for a run in a while and I go out I feel like it's the biggest effort to get back into. All are good though.

Overall running is probably the best way of keeping fit. If you have any problems with your knees though I would stick to cycling. Swimming is also very good if you do it properly and go at a decent pace.

Swimming is better fitness than running which is in turn better than cycling.

Cycling is good to start off with to build a base of fitness but running and even more so, swimming will accelerate your fitness/body shape much more.

Running is the cheapest and probably the best way. Running utterly fecked my ankles as I am on my feet all day at work anyway. So low impact cardio is best for me, hence I go cycling. If you are a tubby one, do not go running, try cycling. Just keep in mind you will be saddle sore when you first start. Swimmings probably good too, but my nearest swimming pool burnt down.....seriously the swimming pool in Whitburn burnt down. How can you burn down a giant pool of water.

( unless they get twatted by a fuckwit driver)

Beacue they have just sailed through a red light at night, no helmet or lights, wearing dark clothing and have their headphones on pretending they are in the tour de france.

Running is by far the best exercise.

Beacue they have just sailed through a red light at night, no helmet or lights, wearing dark clothing and have their headphones on pretending they are in the tour de france.

Running is by far the best exercise.

I always thought fishing was your preferred sport

Cycling for me.

I believe it's more enjoyable and more social. It's also easier on the body.

Just my opinion, but I have never enjoyed running the couple of times I've tried it.

Cycling for me.

I believe it's more enjoyable and more social. It's also easier on the body.

Just my opinion, but I have never enjoyed running the couple of times I've tried it.

Totally agree. I really enjoy a cycle but don't like running at all even at 5s :lol: I like being able to get further afield on my bike than I would if out a jog. Even if not fit after putting on a few pounds during colder montgs I can build up my fitness, lose weight etc without damaging my knees or feet.

Running without a doubt. Very much a sociable sport and for just general fitness better than cycling. Plus folk hate you a lot less than they do cyclists.

I'd say the exact opposite, in that cycling is better for overall fitness and less damaging on your body.

A combination of both as they both work opposing leg muscles. Is that right or have I just made that up?

Upper leg muscles for cycling, lower leg muscles for running. That's where I feel the burn anyway.

I like both but I do a lot more running as cycling terrifies me a little bit. Most of the time i'm out on my road bike i'm fine but occasionally i'll have a near miss with a pothole/car/loose gravel at 30mph + that puts me off for a wee while.

Archived