Turning my back on Rangers?

I've considered this for some time. I no longer feel connected to the club and its fan base, heck, I don't know if I ever have. I'm a SNP voter who can't relate to songs such as 'Rule Britannia' and 'God Save The Queen', quite the contrary, I despise everything these songs stand for. During the Indy referendum, chants such as 'f**k Alex Salmond' and 'Stick Your Independence up Your Arse' nauseated me.

My support has been worn down by the shambolic dealings of the club on and off the pitch and I've grown weary of constant humiliations and the embarrassing stigma which comes with supporting Rangers these days.

I guess I'm your stereotypical 'armchair' Old Firm supporter who are the subject of much mockery on this forum. I've only ever attended a handful of Rangers games, yet I feel I still support the players with as much passion as your ST holding die hard. My dad brought me up supporting the club, however as I've grown older, I've learned the history behind the club's tradition and the sectarian nonsense sickens me every time I hear it.

The point of this thread is to seek guidance from the P&B intellectual masses and asses whether I'm acting hastily or I'm justified in considering changing my team. I know it's just football, just a game yada yada yada, but still, I want to see what others think about this.

Tin hat on :D

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the exact same conversion. My Dad is a Rangers fan, I was raised that way, but drifted away from them as an adult.

Went to one or two games a season growing up, my story is very similar to yours.

Now I despise them with every fibre of my being, and have adopted a local club to follow, though I am not a fan the way lifelong fans are. I think its insulting to them to pretend I am.

My conversion from being a Rangers fan was for similar reasons, the bigotry, politics etc and I am not from Glasgow or anywhere near it so the club meant little to me.

I would advise you to go ahead and ditch them, they are a scummy club with vile fans who stand for bigotry and British nationalism. Its like kicking a drug, you will feel much better.

Pick a local team and follow them, its the right thing to do. Maybe ICT, they're doing quite well and play good football, and they represent you if you're from Inverness. They're your team, in a way Rangers never could be.

Be part of the solution, don't just walk away from it all because not everyone shares your point of view.

The unionist, loyalist bigots shout the loudest, but they're not as big a majority as people think.

Cheery bye , don't let the door hit yer arse on the way out

Edit to add : in fact we will no doubt see you back in a few years if we are back to challenging for the title or playing a European game , probably be one of the ones scrambling for tickets when those type of games come around

If I supported a club where I had to shout down bigots to not be part of the problem, then I'd be happy to make myself part of the problem and f**k off.

I'm glad people like Martin Luther King didn't share your pessimism.

I had the exact same conversion. My Dad is a Rangers fan, I was raised that way, but drifted away from them as an adult.

Went to one or two games a season growing up, my story is very similar to yours.

Now I despise them with every fibre of my being, and have adopted a local club to follow, though I am not a fan the way lifelong fans are. I think its insulting to them to pretend I am.

My conversion from being a Rangers fan was for similar reasons, the bigotry, politics etc and I am not from Glasgow or anywhere near it so the club meant little to me.

I would advise you to go ahead and ditch them, they are a scummy club with vile fans who stand for bigotry and British nationalism. Its like kicking a drug, you will feel much better.

Pick a local team and follow them, its the right thing to do. Maybe ICT, they're doing quite well and play good football, and they represent you if you're from Inverness. They're your team, in a way Rangers never could be.

I was brought up as a rangers fan but always went to alloa games with mates as I stayed right next to the ground (my family are mostly from Glasgow though) one thing lead to another and I now despise rangers.

Cheery bye , don't let the door hit yer arse on the way out

Edit to add : in fact we will no doubt see you back in a few years if we are back to challenging for the title or playing a European game , probably be one of the ones scrambling for tickets when those type of games come around

You've totally missed my point. It's not about winning titles and success. It's about having a moral compass, and shouting and screaming about Irish Republicans and our 'Glorious Queen' is not something I want to do at a game of football.

I was brought up as a rangers fan but always went to alloa games with mates as I stayed right next to the ground (my family are mostly from Glasgow though) one thing lead to another and I now despise rangers.

Good man, you feel much better when you kick the habit too don't you? Its like getting off heroin

Good man, you feel much better when you kick the habit too don't you? Its like getting off heroin

you feel much more a part of something when you support your local team. Tbf for some of my family Rangers are the most local but for me my grandparents were from alloa along with my dad and uncles so I don't even have the slightest of an accent. I'd much rather support Alloa.

Archived