Turning my back on Rangers?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who mention "support your local club", my nearest senior club plays at Ibrox ??? :(:bairn

Next closest club is St Mirren, then Queen's Park, then Partick Thistle and finally Celtic, does this make me a glory hunter ? :bag

TBH you can support any club you wish for whatever reason may it be very local or has a soft spot in your heart.

At times I wish when my Mum said "which team do you like" and named the four Glasgow sides, I really liked the Partick strip with the red & yellow stripes with black shorts but my brothers were catholic Celtic supporters and this swayed me before I eventually grew up to know what shite pish and bile that went with supporting Celtic. :(

So DisillusionedGer it would be best if you don't like the atmosphere at Ibrox then I suggest you do some research on other clubs and go with what makes you happy and makes you feel part of something you want to be involved with as a supporter. :)

Those who mention "support your local club", my nearest senior club plays at Ibrox ??? :(:bairn

Next closest club is St Mirren, then Queen's Park, then Partick Thistle and finally Celtic, does this make me a glory hunter ? :bag

TBH you can support any club you wish for whatever reason may it be very local or has a soft spot in your heart.

At times I wish when my Mum said "which team do you like" and named the four Glasgow sides, I really liked the Partick strip with the red & yellow stripes with black shorts but my brothers were catholic Celtic supporters and this swayed me before I eventually grew up to know what shite pish and bile that went with supporting Celtic. :(

So DisillusionedGer it would be best if you don't like the atmosphere at Ibrox then I suggest you do some research on other clubs and go with what makes you happy and makes you feel part of something you want to be involved with as a supporter. :)

I've always thought somebody should start a club in Glasgow called Glasgow City and make it expressly non-religious or political just for folk from Glasgow or with a connection to it. With the size of the city and being football daft it could be quite a big and successful club.

Also would like to see a team like Aberdeen do a Bilbao and announce from now on they will only be playing Scottish players, ie players eligible to play for Scotland.

FuzzyAffro, on 07 Apr 2015 - 18:01, said:

Were you sat in the Rangers end? Have you ever been a Rangers fan in the past?

Yes, and yes. As I said, before 2000 I had enough. At this point I like the point and laugh exercise that they have become.

As for sitting in their end, it was the easiest place to get tickets, and the view in the Govan Rear is absolutely fantastic. Was up there for Scotland vs. Georgia as well.

I've always thought somebody should start a club in Glasgow called Glasgow City and make it expressly non-religious or political just for folk from Glasgow or with a connection to it. With the size of the city and being football daft it could be quite a big and successful club.

Also would like to see a team like Aberdeen do a Bilbao and announce from now on they will only be playing Scottish players, ie players eligible to play for Scotland.

Don't know if you've heard of Partick Thistle? ;)

Yes, and yes. As I said, before 2000 I had enough. At this point I like the point and laugh exercise that they have become.

As for sitting in their end, it was the easiest place to get tickets, and the view in the Govan Rear is absolutely fantastic. Was up there for Scotland vs. Georgia as well.

Aw aye you said about Wallace. Never been in any stand except the Broomloan, well actually once in the Main Stand. Twice infact, good view from there. It's a great stadium tbf.

Don't know if you've heard of Partick Thistle? ;)

Are they not for people from Partick/Maryhill though? This team could be for all of Glasgow

Could say the same about unionists tbf, though they are basically one and the same anyway.

I'm a unionist, certainly not a loyalist and have no truck with their warped take on unionism. They give unionism a very bad name, as we saw in George Square post the ref, vile hordes of unwashed. I'd sooner go full nat than align with that shower.

But they are in the majority? Is that really what you're saying?

I don't know if things are that bad, it's difficult to say. Their unsightly influence is certainly diminishing within our support though.

That's my problem, I do feel it. I go absolutely crazy at goals, yet absolutely hate it when our fans break into 'Rule Britannia' or some other nonsense.

I think it'll be a more gradual wind down for you and you absolutely would need a "hook" into another club.

It would be very difficult to stop being attached to Rangers if you don't have something you can really get into as an alternative.

I always supported Rangers and Stirling Albion, but it wasn't until I started going to all the away Albion games when I was about 15 that I slowly turned away from Rangers. Took a couple of seasons to stop caring, then maybe another couple till I noticed I actively wanted them to lose.

Stirling Albion became a total obsession for me, some of the best times of my young life were following them around the country with my mates.

Anyway I guess your goal isn't to dislike Rangers -- you just want something else. From experience, nothing compares to feeling part of something because it represents where you're from or where you live. This is something alien to most Old Firm supporters.

But of course. We should always cherish such freedoms and endeavour not to take them for granted.

Fortunately, similar liberties allow me to express the view that those who come from nowhere near Glasgow, yet support either of the OF clubs, are bell-ends.

ETA: Actually, plenty are perfectly decent sorts, but I wish they'd choose differently.

I don't know if things are that bad, it's difficult to say. Their unsightly influence is certainly diminishing within our support though.

Fair enough.

I wouldn't have thought they were a majority at all, myself.

But what do I know?

That would be a woeful idea.

To discriminate against a player simply because of their nationality would be wrong.

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by Scottish Nationalism.

There's a big world out there, embrace it. :)

If clubs sign the best players they possibly can, regardless of nationality, the Scottish players at that particular team would benefit from playing alongside those players.

That would be a woeful idea.

To discriminate against a player simply because of their nationality would be wrong.

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by Scottish Nationalism.

There's a big world out there, embrace it. :)

If clubs sign the best players they possibly can, regardless of nationality, the Scottish players at that particular team would benefit from playing alongside those players.

I've actually had that idea long before the referendum, ever since finding out about Bilbao.

Not going to engage a troll apart from that though.

Being a **n isn't really about football, is it? It's a mentality and sub culture based around extreme loyalism, imagined Presbyterian supremacy and hatred of Irish and Roman Catholicism. Not saying every fan is on board with this but the hardcore definitely are.

There are 3 of us that go home and away to games. I would say we are pretty hardcore...

1 is a Roman Catholic

I am married to an Irish Roman Catholic

And the other is married to a second generation Irish Roman Catholic.

Now i could be just making this up but Tedi has met all three of us.

As for the OP...I would like to echo Forever Blues sentiments also was Rule Britannia not written by a Scot? The bitterness he is expressing is quite breathtaking considering he is the one claiming to be sickened by bitter Nationalist.

Certainly at away games their influence is overwhelming.

At away games you get the pack mentality and of course the demon drink. That is never a good combination. It pisses me off to see the local stewards and local police doing nothing to stop these idiots. It is almost always one of our stewards that points out the trouble makers. We shouldnt be paying or responsible for policing other clubs grounds!!

In the past i have shouted these idiots down and it usually worked with others joining in to shut the bigots up. Not so sure i would now

At away games you get the pack mentality and of course the demon drink. That is never a good combination. It pisses me off to see the local stewards and local police doing nothing to stop these idiots. It is almost always one of our stewards that points out the trouble makers. We shouldnt be paying or responsible for policing other clubs grounds!!

In the past i have shouted these idiots down and it usually worked with others joining in to shut the bigots up. Not so sure i would now

Aye that's right, its the stewards fault. Not the Rangers support for being bigots in the first place.

Archived