Turning my back on Rangers?

you feel much more a part of something when you support your local team. Tbf for some of my family Rangers are the most local but for me my grandparents were from alloa along with my dad and uncles so I don't even have the slightest of an accent. I'd much rather support Alloa.

Exactly, it actually means something if you support your local team. And being smaller clubs you can really be part of it in a way you can't with a club the size of Rangers.

For me one of the first times I started to think I don't really want to be a Rangers fan was walking outside Ibrox before a game and seeing a lassie about eight years old draped in a UVF flag with the Red Hand of Ulster on it. Just thought I don't want to be associated with this shite anymore.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, it actually means something if you support your local team. And being smaller clubs you can really be part of it in a way you can't with a club the size of Rangers.

For me one of the first times I started to think I don't really want to be a Rangers fan was walking outside Ibrox before a game and seeing a lassie about eight years old draped in a UVF flag with the Red Hand of Ulster on it. Just thought I don't want to be associated with this shite anymore.

Are you sure it wasn't when they started playing Charlie Adam?

Mine was when I used to alternate weeks of alloa and rangers games and one day I just realised I didn't enjoy the rangers games everyone was a knob at ibrox and the only enjoyment was winning an old firm or the league. A goal at alloa is a genuine good moment where at Rangers you're already waiting on the second before the first hits the net. (maybe not now though ;) )

Mine was when I used to alternate weeks of alloa and rangers games and one day I just realised I didn't enjoy the rangers games everyone was a knob at ibrox and the only enjoyment was winning an old firm or the league. A goal at alloa is a genuine good moment where at Rangers you're already waiting on the second before the first hits the net. (maybe not now though ;) )

Yeah the atmosphere at Ibrox was never that good, and the fans are very arrogant and self-entitled. Probably a natural result of so much success over the years. Real Madrid etc are the same.

Yeah the atmosphere at Ibrox was never that good, and the fans are very arrogant and self-entitled. Probably a natural result of so much success over the years. Real Madrid etc are the same.

What age were you when you made the change?

I slipped away from Rangers around about the time they had Rod Wallace in the team. What year was that? I wasn't even aware of the shit that surrounded them when I went away from them either. I just kinda liked Morton more. That was it.

Thought the atmosphere was cracking on Sunday btw. Was a good day out. Helped that the Hearts supporters wouldn't shut up. Found myself coming perilously close to shouting at the ref for some pro-Hearts decisions, before remembering where I was.

Hard to say, probably about seventeen when it started, and fully converted by about twenty-four.

I never felt it as much as my Dad either, he is a west-coaster so it was his team, he really cared. Even when they scored he would celebrate much more than me, I just never felt it like he obviously does. Didn't mean much to me, plus they always won anyway when I was growing up.

I remember Gazza's goals against Aberdeen to win the league, we were watching on TV he went absolutely mental, I was just mildly pleased.

What about you?

I slipped away from Rangers around about the time they had Rod Wallace in the team. What year was that? I wasn't even aware of the shit that surrounded them when I went away from them either. I just kinda liked Morton more. That was it.

Thought the atmosphere was cracking on Sunday btw. Was a good day out. Helped that the Hearts supporters wouldn't shut up. Found myself coming perilously close to shouting at the ref for some pro-Hearts decisions, before remembering where I was.

Wallace played from about 98-01 give or take a year.

Was about 2000. By the time Rangers played Morton in the cup, I was completely gone and that was 2000, when Rangers 1-0 with an offside goal from Moore. Well, it might have been offside. My memory isn't that great.

Hard to say, probably about seventeen when it started, and fully converted by about twenty-four.

I never felt it as much as my Dad either, he is a west-coaster so it was his team, he really cared. Even when they scored he would celebrate much more than me, I just never felt it like he obviously does. Didn't mean much to me, plus they always won anyway when I was growing up.

I remember Gazza's goals against Aberdeen to win the league, we were watching on TV he went absolutely mental, I was just mildly pleased.

What about you?

Started going to alloa games at about 6-7 years old, I stopped supporting rangers at about 12ish fully to the displeasure of my family. I'm the same as you they all are or were season ticket holders and went daft at games, the way I do at alloa games, I just never felt it.

I still have to pretend I care a wee bit if Rangers are on TV in my Dad's house. I utterly hate them and want them to lose every game, but have to pretend I am still a minor fan as it would hurt him if I told him the truth.

Watching a bit of the Hearts game at his on Sunday hoping Hearts would pump them and pretending to be all pleased when Rangers were winning.

Started going to alloa games at about 6-7 years old, I stopped supporting rangers at about 12ish fully to the displeasure of my family. I'm the same as you they all are or were season ticket holders and went daft at games, the way I do at alloa games, I just never felt it.

That's my problem, I do feel it. I go absolutely crazy at goals, yet absolutely hate it when our fans break into 'Rule Britannia' or some other nonsense.

I guess I loath the Rangers support, but can't help supporting the team on the pitch. It's really rotten.

I also want to be closer to a community oriented club. I enjoy supporting the underdog, and I hate the arrogance of much of the Rangers faithful.

Catch-22 I suppose.

I still have to pretend I care a wee bit if Rangers are on TV in my Dad's house. I utterly hate them and want them to lose every game, but have to pretend I am still a minor fan as it would hurt him if I told him the truth.

Watching a bit of the Hearts game at his on Sunday hoping Hearts would pump them and pretending to be all pleased when Rangers were winning.

I'm like this with my gran :lol: oh aye we're winning gran (f**k under my breath). If i'm being honest I still had a soft spot for Rangers until they went tits up, the way the fans came across as We're rangers you'll be fucked without us. The way they disregarded everyone and the way the club never learned from mistakes made me grow quite a strong hatred.

I'm like this with my gran :lol: oh aye we're winning gran (f**k under my breath). If i'm being honest I still had a soft spot for Rangers until they went tits up, the way the fans came across as We're rangers you'll be fucked without us. The way they disregarded everyone and the way the club never learned from mistakes made me grow quite a strong hatred.

Yeah the way they conducted themselves during all that stuff meant any sympathy I had for their situation was gone very quickly, they brought it on themselves anyway by spending money they didn't have.

I've considered this for some time. I no longer feel connected to the club and its fan base, heck, I don't know if I ever have. I'm a SNP voter who can't relate to songs such as 'Rule Britannia' and 'God Save The Queen', quite the contrary, I despise everything these songs stand for. During the Indy referendum, chants such as 'f**k Alex Salmond' and 'Stick Your Independence up Your Arse' nauseated me.

My support has been worn down by the shambolic dealings of the club on and off the pitch and I've grown weary of constant humiliations and the embarrassing stigma which comes with supporting Rangers these days.

I guess I'm your stereotypical 'armchair' Old Firm supporter who are the subject of much mockery on this forum. I've only ever attended a handful of Rangers games, yet I feel I still support the players with as much passion as your ST holding die hard. My dad brought me up supporting the club, however as I've grown older, I've learned the history behind the club's tradition and the sectarian nonsense sickens me every time I hear it.

The point of this thread is to seek guidance from the P&B intellectual masses and asses whether I'm acting hastily or I'm justified in considering changing my team. I know it's just football, just a game yada yada yada, but still, I want to see what others think about this.

Tin hat on :D

If you want to support the oldest team in Glasgow which also has no sectarian baggage and whose players give 100% effort every time then it's Queen's Park for you. We might not have the most gifted players but have produced a few each year such as Andy Robertson, Lawrence Shankland, Barry Douglas, Blair Spittal etc

I didn't even pretend to give a f**k on Sunday. Just made sure I didn't go mental at Hearts goals or anything. I did applaud Dean Shiels off the park when he got subbed though, as he absolutely deserved it.

So what's your story then are you an ex-Rangers fan that still has to go to matches to keep up appearances with family members?

FuzzyAffro, on 07 Apr 2015 - 17:58, said:

So what's your story then are you an ex-Rangers fan that still has to go to matches to keep up appearances with family members?

I actually just wanted to go and potentially see Hearts seal the league against them. Not sure what I'd have been like if that were the case. With nothing mattering, I was able to just sit and enjoy.

Archived