The Witcher 3

spud131

4 hours ago, yoda said:

I'm properly enjoying this now!

Finished The Bloody Baron side quest and I think I got the "good" ending but... it wasn't a particularly happy ending. A really good story though. 

Levelled up a fair bit and the combat gets a lot easier but still challenging enough for me and my "no blocking, no dodging, just mash" approach. Struggling against any type of wraith though, even the weak ones. c***s.

Into Novigrad now with the Triss stuff. Trying to sweep up a lot of secondary quests and contracts (below level 20) before heading over to Skellige.

Still struggling with the scale. It's as intimidating as RDR2. I'm not very good at prioritising quests or ignoring the treasure hunts / exclamation marks.

Wraiths tend to attack twice in one go. Dodge twice, mash attack until it starts again.

Once you have dodging down the combat will become really trivial for most of the game.

• 2 months later...

Started another play through on NG+

Is it worth downloading the graphics mods? Looking at the hd texture pack/general overhaul. It's about 9gig in size. Trying to decide whether or not its worth installing whilst it slowly downloads.

• 4 months later...

I would probably replay with a next gen upgrade. Feel like enough substantial time has passed to go back through. The actual combat etc hasn't aged that well but the writing is largely above most other games. It's rare to have a game where I feel you can actually debate choices that are made as opposed to the general dreadful standard of angelic good choice and cartoon evil.

On 24/10/2021 at 20:57, NotThePars said:

I would probably replay with a next gen upgrade. Feel like enough substantial time has passed to go back through. The actual combat etc hasn't aged that well but the writing is largely above most other games. It's rare to have a game where I feel you can actually debate choices that are made as opposed to the general dreadful standard of angelic good choice and cartoon evil.

Or a meaningless choice that changes a single line of dialogue while the game trundles on with no change in outcome. 

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Or a meaningless choice that changes a single line of dialogue while the game trundles on with no change in outcome. 

TellTale getting it from both barrels here.

On 26/10/2021 at 14:59, GiGi said:

I had Fallout 4 in mind there. 

Fallout 4 has some absolutely shite moments in it. The Minutemen stuff in particular.

"Calm down, I'm from the Minutemen"

And I was the last 5 or 6 times I came to do the same fucking ghoul or raider  quest for you. Would it have been beyond them to include better dialogue when you visit a settlement that you already got to join the Minutemen?

Witcher 1 even managed to have proper, consequential dialogue and decision outcomes. 

Fallout 4 was indeed an incredible disappointment when stacked up against Witcher 3.  Maybe an unfair comparison, but if I remember right, I ended up playing them both around the same time, and the bits that W3 did well, Fallout did reeeeeally badly.  Which is a shame, as it wasn't like FO4 was bad, just a bit disappointing. 

Big one for me was a quest in FO4 that ended with what I guess was supposed to be this big momentous, heroic death for a character.  There was a bit of dialogue, the soundtrack swelled a wee bit, and then...guy just made a wee noise and ragdolled.  No real effort to craft anything meaningful in the writing or anything, just...stuff.  And at the same time CDPR were putting out minor side quests that had better effort put into them.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

It’s tremendous. If you’re used to the old gen, the 30fps ray tracing mode is amazing. 60fps Witcher 3 is amazing also. Just looks stunning. Even when it was released it looked fantastic.

Obscenely jealous of everyone whos playing the update tbh, especially after reading the list of updates they've made.

As an aside, my wife bought this for her Switch at least a year ago after I spent ages telling her she'd love it. It was never opened until I opened it last week (at the stage now where firing up a console is a chore so Switch it is) and discovered she bought a version with Blood + Wine and Heart of Stone included. Having played neither before, which would be best to start with?

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Obscenely jealous of everyone whos playing the update tbh, especially after reading the list of updates they've made.

As an aside, my wife bought this for her Switch at least a year ago after I spent ages telling her she'd love it. It was never opened until I opened it last week (at the stage now where firing up a console is a chore so Switch it is) and discovered she bought a version with Blood + Wine and Heart of Stone included. Having played neither before, which would be best to start with?

Heart of Stone, mainly as Blood and Wine is best to finish with. Can't imagine how good B&W will look on current gen machines, it was stunning 7 years ago. 

From what I remember HoS has a great quest that is a bit like GTA V in that the amount of work you have to do on the "heist" depends on the quality of the associates you choose to pay for. 

One of these games I would love to replay but the amount of hours always makes me think I should watch / play something new. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Heart of Stone into blood and wine canonically; since B&W provides the complete ending to Geralt’s story. Enjoy, as both (especially B&W) could be a whole game in itself, and be just as good as the base game. Puts modern games to shame. 

1 hour ago, Noah526 said:

It's an amazing game, I've already played it once, but I've only gone through the main story. Now I realized that roughly speaking I missed half of the game, now I'm going through again, only now at 100%. 

I’d say playing main quest only, without DLC or side quests, you’re probably well below half of what’s actually on offer. It’s obscenely huge. 

I finally got 100% in RDR2, just in time to spin this up for the nth time.  Been a long time since a proper playthrough so looking forward to it.  I'd like to 100% it, it deserves that attention, but looking at the achievements...fucking hell.