Earthquakes

Just sitting in a villa outside Paphos when an earthquake measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale occurred . Bloody scary when the whole room starts shaking, anyone been involved in one larger on the scale ?

Yes, was in Los Angeles in 1994 when they had one that was 6.6 or 6.7. About fifty people died.

Much as you'd expect, lots of shaking and very noisy. All the water flew out of the toilet and TV went across the room etc.

Sounds like being in a tunnel and a train passing overhead. Woke us up, was at 4.31 am on the 17th of January 1994, epicentre about six or eight miles from us.

Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_earthquake

If you get anymore in Paphos the best place to be is either outside well away from anything that can fall on you. If you are inside you want to be in a doorway apparently that's the best place in a house to be.

It was my wedding day yesterday so a day to remember and the earth moved for my missus. Happy days!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in-law was part of the jagged globe expedition on Everest that unfortunately lost one of their party and had injuries to numerous others. His name is Nick Talbot and was attempting to be the first person with Cystic Fibrosis to climb Everest and raise £100,000 in the process. Fortunately he was airlifted to Kathmandu after suffering from crushed ribs and hypothermia after fleeing his tent barefoot and without any of his possessions. This was Nicks second attempt to climb Everest after trying last year unsuccessfully after an avalanche cost the life of 13 sherpas. If anyone would like to donate to his fundraising efforts here is the link http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=CFvs.EverestIf i am breaking any forum rules by posting this i apologise and you can remove this post if you deem it against forum rules. All and any donations would be greatly received to what in my eyes is a very worthwhile cause(my wife also suffers from Cystic Fibrosis).

Archived