Kilmarnock Summer Transfer 2015

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've seen any Killie fan suggest we'll finish any higher than mid-table, which is about right IMO.

Who do you think Killie will finish above?

I see very little to distinguish among Ross County, Killie, Partick Thistle and Motherwell at the moment.

I see very little to distinguish among Ross County, Killie, Partick Thistle and Motherwell at the moment.

My hope is that a fit and on form Boyd could be the difference.

You would think that a front four of Higginbotham, Boyd, Carrick and Tope would create and score plenty goals that would keep Killie safe. I don't think that Boyd will be as bad as he was at Rangers, and when I watched them he never far from the cusp of scoring.

But three of those four often have little interest in tracking.

Sometimes Locke's relegated Hearts team resembled 4-2-4, which worked fine on their run of form at the end of the season when the confidence was high etc, and they were capable of pulling off the odd big result and performance otherwise. But when it didn't work it looked bad.

Worrying maybe less humdrum times at Rugby Park, then.

I think Killie have signed well and will be comfortably safe, pushing mid table. Locke's got stick for signing close to home, but if Boyd is fit he'll get goals. Carrick is a non stop worker who can chip in with goals, Higginbotham has proven he's Premiership quality and MacDonald is a clear upgrade on Samson. Robinson is a good enough player for this level as well, and Findlay is a bit unknown but won't be costing much. The only one I've seen you sign and think it's a gamble is Smith with his age and injury record.

I think Killie have signed well and will be comfortably safe, pushing mid table. Locke's got stick for signing close to home, but if Boyd is fit he'll get goals. Carrick is a non stop worker who can chip in with goals, Higginbotham has proven he's Premiership quality and MacDonald is a clear upgrade on Samson. Robinson is a good enough player for this level as well, and Findlay is a bit unknown but won't be costing much. The only one I've seen you sign and think it's a gamble is Smith with his age and injury record.

I'd like to think similarly. As other Killie fans have said I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now than I was in May, and I hope that we can end up in a decent mid-table position. By no means whatsoever am I advocating that we'll end up in the top few places, but when you compare how we've done our dealings this year in a fairly swift and efficient manner in comparison to the previous two years when we couldn't convince players to sign and ended up scraping the barrel for the best of the duds, this seems to be night and day. I doubt we'll do much more at all in terms of signing players despite Craig's wildest dreams (maybe Taylor-Sinclair if that comes off) but after that I think we'll be sorted until January.

Got to say I'm looking forward to going down to Palmerston on Tuesday night now!

Like Paulo realised a while back - don't come on and act the big man when you know f**k all 'cos it just makes you look like a tit :lol:

lol wut

I'd rather have Killie's squad than any of the others mentioned, certainly at the moment. That's obviously looking at things on paper and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gary Locke managed to recruit well and then fail miserably with a semi-decent team.

You would think that a front four of Higginbotham, Boyd, Carrick and Tope would create and score plenty goals that would keep Killie safe. I don't think that Boyd will be as bad as he was at Rangers, and when I watched them he never far from the cusp of scoring.

But three of those four often have little interest in tracking.

Sometimes Locke's relegated Hearts team resembled 4-2-4, which worked fine on their run of form at the end of the season when the confidence was high etc, and they were capable of pulling off the odd big result and performance otherwise. But when it didn't work it looked bad.

Worrying maybe less humdrum times at Rugby Park, then.

I'd say possibly swap Magennis for Carrick and you'll have our first choice 'front four' there. Robinson/Hamill & Slater sitting deep in midfield (which IMO is the completely wrong use of Craig Slater, but genuinely can't see where else he'll fit in) with the defenders being asked to defend and not a lot else. As you say, it certainly won't be dull this season.

We'll probably get a better idea of how we're likely to play after Palmserston on Tuesday. If we play a modified 4-2-4 in both outings then that's a clear indication of how we're planning to go this season. Saying that though, Higginbotham was interviewed and threw in the line "the gaffer hasn't spoken to me yet about where I'm going to play" which is either a) worrying, or b) an indication that we haven't settled on a preferred formation yet.

I'd rather have Killie's squad than any of the others mentioned, certainly at the moment. That's obviously looking at things on paper and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gary Locke managed to recruit well and then fail miserably with a semi-decent team.

I'd say possibly swap Magennis for Carrick and you'll have our first choice 'front four' there. Robinson/Hamill & Slater sitting deep in midfield (which IMO is the completely wrong use of Craig Slater, but genuinely can't see where else he'll fit in) with the defenders being asked to defend and not a lot else. As you say, it certainly won't be dull this season.

We'll probably get a better idea of how we're likely to play after Palmserston on Tuesday. If we play a modified 4-2-4 in both outings then that's a clear indication of how we're planning to go this season. Saying that though, Higginbotham was interviewed and threw in the line "the gaffer hasn't spoken to me yet about where I'm going to play" which is either a) worrying, or b) an indication that we haven't settled on a preferred formation yet.

If Higgy has said that then it just confirms that he's went to Killie for the cash. Worrying times at Rugby Park. Nothing says 'financial implosion looming' more than over-spending on journeyman players and giving perma-crocks three years deals.

If Higgy has said that then it just confirms that he's went to Killie for the cash. Worrying times at Rugby Park. Nothing says 'financial implosion looming' more than over-spending on journeyman players and giving perma-crocks three years deals.

No. EBT's and not paying your taxes says 'financial implosion looming' far more than what Killie are doing. Getting rid of our top three earners (two by some considerable distance) as well as five other first team players tends to free up a fair bit of cash. Especially considering one of those top earners was also getting his flat paid for...

Thanks for the concern though. "My Team: Scotland." :lol:

Archived