Open Letter to Jim Murphy

Dear Jim

How are you feeling? The last few months must have been hard on you and the Grecian 2000 is about as effective as your interpretation of 'How To Make a Friends and Influence People'.

Remember when you said that you were surprised how easy it was to challenge the SNP? Remember when you said you wouldn't lose a single seat to them?

Are you looking back and wondering if you should have maybe adopted a different strategy; like offering something positive rather than 'Vote SNP get Tory'? Isn't the fact that if, and it's a big if, you manage to retain your seat then it will be because of Tories offering you their support the ultimate in irony?

So what now Jim? The best you can hope for on Thursday is getting Scottish MPs in double figures. Will you and your rump of colleagues support Miliband's stance that he would rather see Cameron in Number 10 than work with the SNP? Or will there be a glimmer of intelligence and humanity that inspires you to realise that it's better to talk to the democratically elected representatives of the Scottish people than allow the Tories to reign once more? For an intelligent compassionate man that would be a no brainer; though for a bitter discredited one it may be more of a struggle.

Or will you have other things on your mind come 8 May, like trying to find another job or fighting off the demand from your own disillusioned colleagues that you are dumped unceremoniously on your arse?

Anyway Jim it has surely been a learning experience for you. I wonder what exactly you have learned and what you will take from this experience. I'd like to think you'd have developed a wee bit of humility and seen where you and your party have gone wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

Next Friday when the rest of the country is rejoicing at having a majority of MPs who truely represent their aspirations, if not necessarily their views on all policy matters, you may reflect that with a different approach and mindset that could have been your party.

Here's for a better Scotland

Granny Danger - former Labour Party member and activist.

Archived