The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit shocked tbh, I genuinely thought there was no weight to this story at all and disappointed to see him leave us, very good player for us last year until his injury, and if McBride and Fitzpatrick are going to be missing for the foreseeable future then we seem to be lacking any real grit and experience in the midfield area but hopeful the youngsters can get a good run in the team.

Have been baffled by airdrie managers for the last 26yrs !! Need a striker badly , need to take pressure off prunty

, cox is a runner full of Endeavour, don't think there's a lot of goals in him ! Morgan is just woefully inadequate as a footballer. Surely there's a club with a striker on the fringes of their squad needing game time !!

If everyone was fit I wouldn't have started Gilfillan as he's a bit of a jack if all trades. But given that McBride and Fitzpatrick are injured and our midfield is made up of guys in their early 20's it does seem strange that Bollan would let it get to the point where he was released. The one thing that Bollan has always had is some grit and solidity in midfield, I don't see where that is coming from just now.

Rumour also has it that Fitzpatrick is out for the season too. Not good if that is the case. Our midfield is lacking some experience and grit. If only we had a player like Bryan Gilfillan.

People really need to give it a rest with the Gilfillan patter.

I'd be interested to see his percentage of games missed through injury since he signed for us, I'd think it was pretty high.

People seem to think he was some sort of demigod rather than an aged, injury prone, seasoned pro.

People really need to give it a rest with the Gilfillan patter.

I'd be interested to see his percentage of games missed through injury since he signed for us, I'd think it was pretty high.

People seem to think he was some sort of demigod rather than an aged, injury prone, seasoned pro.

Yep, would much rather have Scott Stewart in there. Destined for big things IMO.

Gilfillan was no superstar but he was:

A - Better than what we've got currently.

B - Would provide the experience and grit that we're currently lacking which won't be filled any time soon since McBride and Fitzpatrick look like they're out for the season.

C - Was Versatile. We now have no centre - half cover.

Yep, would much rather have Scott Stewart in there. Destined for big things IMO.

Gilfillan was no superstar but he was:

A - Better than what we've got currently.

B - Would provide the experience and grit that we're currently lacking which won't be filled any time soon since McBride and Fitzpatrick look like they're out for the season.

C - Was Versatile. We now have no centre - half cover.

It would appear that you've got some sort of man crush on him, despite him playing just 11 times for us.

He's gone mate, your tears wont bring him back.

I don't see any point in slavering like a lovelorn schoolgirl over a player the manager didn't fancy. We've got to trust Bollan's judgement here and hope we get in better quality than we've got.

Gilfillan started the first two league games, both of which we lost and he spent the whole game trying hollywood passes to no-one. Didn't start the next two, both of which we won. Not saying for a second that's all down to him but it doesn't really back up the idea that he's a huge loss. When he was injured at the end of last season too it didn't affect the results. He's a useful squad player to have due to his versatility but his popularity among fans of all the clubs he's played at seems to be greater than his ability. With our injuries I'd prefer we had him until we get proper replacements, but I certainly wouldn't be saying 'if only' we had a player like him.

It would appear that you've got some sort of man crush on him, despite him playing just 11 times for us.

He's gone mate, your tears wont bring him back.

I don't see any point in slavering like a lovelorn schoolgirl over a player the manager didn't fancy. We've got to trust Bollan's judgement here and hope we get in better quality than we've got.

You're right - he is gone. If it wasn't for the three points that I listed in my previous points I wouldn't be that bothered about him going. But the fact is that, with McBride and Fitzpatrick out indefinitely, we don't have anyone to play in the midfield grafter position unless/until someone else is brought in. I would have liked him to have stayed at least until we brought in a replacement - especially at centre - half as if Lithgow or Crighton get injured or suspended we're fucked.

I hope that Bollan can sign someone better and with his previous January signings track record I trust him to do so. I just think it was foolish to let him go before that point unless either: McBride or Fitzpatrick are back earlier than predicted, he's already got someone else lined up or they fell out and the consequences were irreversible.

Archived