The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an opinion I have formed based on information true or otherwise, which has been presented to me. It's no secret that GB doesn't rate the youth system. I've met Gary a few times and he has taken the time to speak with me so I have nothing against him personally.

He's now employed by someone who rates the youth system highly so it is more than likely that the manager will want it to deliver and will do what he can to achieve that as his job is affected by it

For this level we actually have a pretty big squad, so it's going to take a lot for any youngsters to break through. Only position where I see us having little back-up is centre back, but then centre back is usually the riskiest position to take a chance with a youngster.

If Bollan had faith in any Under 20s I would have thought he would have gone more for quality than quantity with the squad and then filled it out with Under 20s. He's done almost the opposite of that. As I've said a few times before though I've no issue with that, you can't give a manager a 12-18 month contract and then complain when he doesn't plan for the long term. That's the problem with developing youth players at this level, all the clubs pay lip service to promoting youth but in reality managers who are out of contract in less than a year aren't going to bother - it's experienced players and quality loanees they want or they'll be unemployed.

Was maybe thinking another who can't work with GB

You think he would have considered that when he took the job. Unless he's got a new day job or he's doing different hours that don't fit.

A few of the 20s players that I know spoke highly of him. He lives in Gartcosh or Glenboig so I wouldn't imagine travelling would be too much of an issue.

If the issue was with Bollan which I believe may be the case, the club are hardly going to admit to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived