The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

I agree with most of what Airdrieman says, except I would want to hang on to Scott Stewart. Not (at this stage) likely to be worth a starting place, but a handy option on the bench. Morgan, Sumsky, Smith, Van Zanten and McBride can all get the next train out, however.

Agreed, Stewart has not proved anything yet, shiite or not. I would also add Bain, Fitzpatrick to your list and I would look to replace Cox as well but at least his work ethic is unquestionable. Oh, and the person responsible for signing them!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a decent squad, too many tbf, short of a good striker right enough.

O'Neill and Bain (or Fitzpatrick) should be full backs.

Watt is the only option as midfield playmaker, he's actually playing really well despite a few misplaced passes. And he'll get better.

Fitz is poor in there. I liked Smith as an out and out holding midfielder but since fitpatrick came back his role has been changed and it doesnt suit him. Fitzpatrick slows our game down in midfield.

Cox and Cadden should be the wingers since McAleer and Morton are out in the cold.

Quite obvious that Lister and Prunty are still our best options up top. Morgan and Sumsky clearly not anywhere near good enough.

How long will Prunty's calf keep him out? You'd think Hunter would need to start games up front but one thing sadly lacking from strikers, apart from lack of goals, is their workrate shutting defenders down. Prunty and Cox do it but Hunter, Sumsky and Morgan seem shy to put the effort in.

Tactically too, Bollan has us badly organised at times. Long balls to cox, central defenders getting themselves tied in knots, 2 holding midfielders stifling creativity, full backs as wingers, severe lack of pace in key areas, etc.

Ideally, till Lister gets back, I'd like to see something like;

Parry

O'Neill Crighton Lithgow Bain

Cox Smith Watt Cadden

Prunty Hunter

With Prunty's injury we'd prob need to play Cox up top with McAleer or Morton on a wing but not ideal. With wages for extra bodies like McBride, McAleer, Morton, Brown, van Zanten, Sumsky and Morgan pissed down the drain, youd just love the chance to get a good striker in. Otherwise I think, better organised, we actually have a not bad young team there.

I just dont trust pumpkinheid Bollan to get the best out of them.

Nah a dont agree with the Morton and mcleer statement they're vital players

Agreed, Stewart has not proved anything yet, shiite or not. I would also add Bain, Fitzpatrick to your list and I would look to replace Cox as well but at least his work ethic is unquestionable. Oh, and the person responsible for signing them!

Bain and Fitzpatrick are by no means outstanding players but they're good enough at this level and they're both very handy squad players. They can both play in various positions and that's pretty valuable in this league. They both chip in with goals too which again is useful - particularly when you're missing a 20 goal a season man.

We have a decent squad, too many tbf, short of a good striker right enough.

O'Neill and Bain (or Fitzpatrick) should be full backs.

Watt is the only option as midfield playmaker, he's actually playing really well despite a few misplaced passes. And he'll get better.

Fitz is poor in there. I liked Smith as an out and out holding midfielder but since fitpatrick came back his role has been changed and it doesnt suit him. Fitzpatrick slows our game down in midfield.

Cox and Cadden should be the wingers since McAleer and Morton are out in the cold.

Quite obvious that Lister and Prunty are still our best options up top. Morgan and Sumsky clearly not anywhere near good enough.

How long will Prunty's calf keep him out? You'd think Hunter would need to start games up front but one thing sadly lacking from strikers, apart from lack of goals, is their workrate shutting defenders down. Prunty and Cox do it but Hunter, Sumsky and Morgan seem shy to put the effort in.

Tactically too, Bollan has us badly organised at times. Long balls to cox, central defenders getting themselves tied in knots, 2 holding midfielders stifling creativity, full backs as wingers, severe lack of pace in key areas, etc.

Ideally, till Lister gets back, I'd like to see something like;

Parry

O'Neill Crighton Lithgow Bain

Cox Smith Watt Cadden

Prunty Hunter

With Prunty's injury we'd prob need to play Cox up top with McAleer or Morton on a wing but not ideal. With wages for extra bodies like McBride, McAleer, Morton, Brown, van Zanten, Sumsky and Morgan pissed down the drain, youd just love the chance to get a good striker in. Otherwise I think, better organised, we actually have a not bad young team there.

I just dont trust pumpkinheid Bollan to get the best out of them.

Agree with most of this but I'd have Fitzpatrick at left - back and McAleer and Cadden on the wing. I'm not a fan of Smith but Fitzpatrick and Watt hasn't worked and Fitzpatrick is/was a left - back so would probably be our most comfortable option out there.

Got to agree with rapid be nano on Cox,he runs about like a chicken with no head , thinks because he leaves the boot in the fans will love him , offers absolutely nothing football wise , but 10/10 for being a nuisance

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's rank but this is probably accurate. I do think he offers something but I wouldn't be averse to dropping him for Hunter, at least for one game, to see if he is the solution to our problem upfront. Cox would probably be more, or at least just as effective as he is now, coming off the bench running at tiring defences late on.

Not getting the Cox criticism at all. If he had a decent 'big' centre forward like Lister to play alongside, he would be on double what he has just now.

Headless chicken is what you get when you are up front on your own with no support, playing against a centre half a foot bigger than yourself.

Bain and Fitzpatrick are by no means outstanding players but they're good enough at this level and they're both very handy squad players. They can both play in various positions and that's pretty valuable in this league. They both chip in with goals too which again is useful - particularly when you're missing a 20 goal a season man.

I don't disagree. I believe they are exactly that, League 1 handy players but are they good enough to get you out of the League? I don't think so.

Can't say I really agree with any of the criticism

They would be... if we had that 20 a season man. If only we had a Sandy Clark, Davie McCabe, Calum Campbell, Kenny MacDonald, Owen Coyle, Andy Smith, Allan Russel type.

Our defence, despite it's limitations, and midfield are pretty much capable. At the moment we have no goals. Prunty and Lister will be lucky to break double figures, Cox - half a dozen, Sumsky, Morgan - no comment.

We need to clear out some wasted wages at xmas (mcbride, morton, sumsky, morgan, hunter for starters) and turn it into a goalscorer.

I must admit, I do agree with this, with perhaps the exception of Morton who can on his day real problems for defences.

Can't really get behind the criticism of Cox though, he is more of a winger or number 10 player, not an out and out striker. But if he is going to be played a striker they need someone who has some creativity sitting in the number 10 role or someone alongside him so he isn't needing to challenge in the air against guys a foot taller than he is. End of the day he is only doing the role he has been given by the manager.

Yip, i would have Morton in the side also although i believe Livi fans thought he was extremely talented but even more frustrating. I do agree with madness that a major xmas re-shuffle is required although we could still stumble into the play offs or finish 3rd bottom with what we've got. McBride and Sumsky were looked upon as above this level but it hasn't turned out that way.

Behave myself? he runs about lit a headless chicken n couldn't finish his dinner he's that good Peterhead released him

Mrs cox to the defence again but for the record, he was offered another contract by Peterhead and turned it down to move back home. But some of the "fans" on here would know that seen they seem to know everything else....

I rate Morton too. Him or McAleer on one wing and Cadden on the other would be a real threat and they have been when they've played. Even if he's on the bench he should be involved a lot more.

Parry

O'Neil Lithgow Crighton Fitzpatrick

McAleer/Morton Smith Watt Cadden

Prunty Hunter

Subs:

Bain McAleer/Morton Cox Stewart Ferguson (plus two of the deadwood to fill the bench)

Would be a decent enough team for just now IMO.

Archived