The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've paid a lot of money for the club and are entitled to appoint who they wish as manager. Happens in every profession. At the end of the day, TW has spent hundreds of thousands to buy the club and is enititled to appoint who he sees fit to manage what his vision is for the club. Maybe it's been underhand the way it's happened, but GB leaves with his stock entact, and Airdrie get their man.

Despite EWB's poor managerial history in the Senior game, I am quite excited and intrigued about what the future will bring. Would rather have nicked Darren Young, but glad it's not the likes of Gus McPherson, Jimmy Calderwood etc.

Do it in the right manner then, come out and say this is what you want. It is snidey stuff and lacking in class, at least JB had the decency to have a red neck about sacking Sandy Stewart by phone.

I've just read on the website that EWB was "surprised" by the news? who is he trying to kid.

Touchedbymadness- As for him not dealing with "wee lassies" anymore, I can guarantee that his "wee lassies" would have more fight, self-respect and dignity than to conduct themselves the way Jamie Bain does on a football park with his theatrics.

They've paid a lot of money for the club and are entitled to appoint who they wish as manager. Happens in every profession. At the end of the day, TW has spent hundreds of thousands to buy the club and is enititled to appoint who he sees fit to manage what his vision is for the club. Maybe it's been underhand the way it's happened, but GB leaves with his stock entact, and Airdrie get their man.

Despite EWB's poor managerial history in the Senior game, I am quite excited and intrigued about what the future will bring. Would rather have nicked Darren Young, but glad it's not the likes of Gus McPherson, Jimmy Calderwood etc.

Must admit I do agree with this now having read the club statement, looking forward to seeing what he can do. Hopefully we can just move on and get behind the club now that the owner has his full team in place, although my only scepticism lies with the 2 and a half year contract, surely 6/18 months at the very most should have been offered?

Can see why the fans are a bit disappointed with the appointment tbh, but from what I know from inside at Accies and what I've seen you are in a very good place with the new owner. He'll put his money where his mouth is and implement a sustainable setup. The fans just need to be patient, because I see the next few months being a slog.

Do you really think Darren Young pulls the strings at Rovers. Trust me that Billy Stark runs training and is more than a right hand man. Sandy Clark did same job last year. Thats the kids of influence we'll need.

From what I can see either Eddie is going to on overtime or something else needs to drop. Bollan, Flaherty and Balmer all gone, no one in... doesnt add up. Or will we have the amateur coaches filling the dugout with Ceefax?

Apologies if this is wrong but have we not brought Donald Jennow in or was he already a part of the setup? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Do it in the right manner then, come out and say this is what you want. It is snidey stuff and lacking in class, at least JB had the decency to have a red neck about sacking Sandy Stewart by phone.

I've just read on the website that EWB was "surprised" by the news? who is he trying to kid.

Touchedbymadness- As for him not dealing with "wee lassies" anymore, I can guarantee that his "wee lassies" would have more fight, self-respect and dignity than to conduct themselves the way Jamie Bain does on a football park with his theatrics.

Jamie Bain should be careful. He has previous for marrying the right - back of the team he's managing.

Apologies if this is wrong but have we not brought Donald Jennow in or was he already a part of the setup? Genuine question as I have no idea.

I think he was brought in not that long ago to work with the U20s and now he'll obviously be working with the first team. I know next to nothing about him other than that he was at Glasgow City with EWB.

Glad you are excited. For me, this is the single most underwhelming appointment in Airdrie's history.

You are correct, it's TW's ball and he can do what he wants with it. However, he's asking you and I to pay money to watch a team which was hamstrung by the fact the manager was clearly being hung out to dry. EWB was brought in and obviously (despite the protestations of this threads resident Montrose fan) being lined up as the next gaffer. We all seen it coming and to me, it's not only poor treatment of Bollan, but you could argue that it's shoddy treatment of the fans.

Plenty will disagree, and I hope to be proven wrong.

Glad you are excited. For me, this is the single most underwhelming appointment in Airdrie's history.

You are correct, it's TW's ball and he can do what he wants with it. However, he's asking you and I to pay money to watch a team which was hamstrung by the fact the manager was clearly being hung out to dry. EWB was brought in and obviously (despite the protestations of this threads resident Montrose fan) being lined up as the next gaffer. We all seen it coming and had to me, it's not only poor treatment of Bollan, but you could argue that it's shoddy treatment of the fans.

Plenty will disagree, and I hope to be proven wrong.

Are you going to change all your PL predictions to defeats ?

See you Saturday cheery chops. Am outta here.

I'm a big fan of women in fitba. They're far more dedicated, and unlike real life, they're more obedient and reliable. They'd also have looked up to EWB more. In a pro dressing room the likes of Prunty, Lister (who likes to dodge the running drills), vzanten, etc, he'd be looked down on just as we fans are. He'll want a team of kids in asap. Bain is a pretentious wee w**k and not half the player o'Neill is.

This is my fear and was exactly what Scott Booth did at Stenhousemuir. Got rid of all his experienced players and replaced with a squad of kids who ultimately weren't good enough. It's all very well bringing through youth but if you don't have experienced players to guide them or a manager who can manage them properly then you're going to struggle.

I hope he can prove me wrong but I'm not convinced at all.

No, TW hasn't spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy the club. I don't know the exact figure that he paid but I have it on good authority that it was not a huge sum. Remember the club only cost around £200k to set up and has no major assets except the league place and potential support. Remember too, that he only bought a controlling interest, the Ballantynes are still there. TW does not own the club outright....

However I do agree with your main point. of course he is entitled to seek to fulfill his vision for the club. Time will tell whether he's got this one right. Personally I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I'm a big fan of women in fitba. They're far more dedicated, and unlike real life, they're more obedient and reliable. They'd also have looked up to EWB more. In a pro dressing room the likes of Prunty, Lister (who likes to dodge the running drills), vzanten, etc, he'd be looked down on just as we fans are. He'll want a team of kids in asap. Bain is a pretentious wee w**k and not half the player o'Neill is.

The likes of Andy Roxburgh, Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho all commanded enough respect despite not having any great playing pedigree.

A good coach with good professional players who are willing and able to do as he/she asks, could be ok.

^^^What was predicted to all those wanting shot of Bollan.......is exactly what we've now got?

Everybody happy then?

At the end of the day, a combination of a poor run and not to forget bollan applied for the forfar job. That has resulted in EWB being appointed. Nothing to do with Airdrie fans wanting rid of bollan

At the end of the day, a combination of a poor run and not to forget bollan applied for the forfar job. That has resulted in EWB being appointed. Nothing to do with Airdrie fans wanting rid of bollan

You'll have to point out to me where I said it was Airdrie fans that got shot of Bollan.

I think there's no doubt EWB was brought in with the managers job in mind, Bollan would have known that, and given the lack of support he's had this year, knowing his days were numbered and the fact he lives a stones throw away from Forfar made it the mutually beneficial choice for club and for him.

My posts were merely pointing out the fact that we knew EWB would be next, and we've now come to the logical conclusion of all the behind the scenes manuevering. Those that wanted shot of Bollan, have their wish - but most couldn't see the forrest for the trees.

I grant you, some are happy with EWB instead of Bollan, I'm not one of them.

I do hope to be proved wrong though.

I get apprehensive when I see talk of 'playing football the right way' and phrases like that in opening statements from managers. Firstly, possession based football is not necessarily more entertaining or successful, secondly at this level it's a recipe for disaster unless you have very good players, which we don't. Stenhousemuir under Booth are probably the best, or worst, example of this. Boring to watch and utterly ineffective, all because they were trying to play the 'right way'.

It makes more sense if we are going full-time as he'll have more time to work with them, and although 2 and a half years seems excessive it is necessary if you want to promote youth players. Like I said many times with Bollan, if your manager has a short contract why would he risk putting young players into the team when he isn't going to be around to see the benefit? You have to show faith in the manager and assure him he will be given time to develop them, which they seem to be doing.

I think the board are geniunely doing what they think is the only way to grow us as a club, so I'd commend them for that. However I do worry they are being pretty naive on a number of levels and am a bit worried with this appointment. Will obviously still support the guy though.

Archived