Queen of the South VS Sevco: 2015 Playoff QF

There is alwayss an advantage for home teams for various reasons. Having an artificial pitch and being used to playing on that surface is an obvious advantage when playing a team that normally plays on grass.

Maybe for shit, history-less teams like The Rangers? :)

Hearts had no issues with it. Possibly due to a combination of the following -:

A. They are not a shit history-less team like The Rangers

B. They rented and practiced on the artificial pitch beforehand.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe for shit, history-less teams like The Rangers? :)

Hearts had no issues with it. Possibly due to a combination of the following -:

A. They are not a shit history-less team like The Rangers

B. They rented and practiced on the artificial pitch beforehand.

If Hearts dont have a problem with plastic pitches why did they pay to train at Alloa and go to the expense of renting a pitch similar to the one at Palmerston?

Your posts suggests that Hearts like most people believe playing on these pitches is different than playing on grass

If Hearts dont have a problem with plastic pitches why did they pay to train at Alloa...

That was to acclimatise to the altitude in Clackmannanshire

If Hearts dont have a problem with plastic pitches why did they pay to train at Alloa and go to the expense of renting a pitch similar to the one at Palmerston?

Your posts suggests that Hearts like most people believe playing on these pitches is different than playing on grass

Its called preperation. You know, proper, professional preperation. As opposed to staying in an expensive hotel an hour down the road type preperation.

Its the same reason international sides get to train on the pitch they'll be playing on at away games.

Oh cmon. yes they prepare before every game, they specifically train on that pitch because the ball behaves differently on plastic, a fact you have already admitted, I would add that the majority of players prefer grass and have hang ups about playing on plastic due to a perceived increase in injury probability, people can argue about the merits of this perception all they want but it cannot be denied that it exists. Players who get used to these surfaces undoubtedly have more confidence playing on them which can translate into results, I would say that this is almost definitely the case with Queens, it is an advantage that you are using and one that I have no real issue with nor do I think anyone at Rangers should use this as an excuse, but this denial that it exists is just bullshit to be honest.

I suggest you go back a few posts and read the one about the home records of teams with artificial pitches.

Every team has an advantage playing at home, or at least they should. No two grass pitches are the same and many are inferior to the new generation of artificial pitches.

There is no reason why Queens have any greater advantage playing at home than any other team, nor is there any reason for the pitch to be an issue to the Rangers players.

Have any of the QoS fans actually been on their clubs artificial surface ?, if yes how much difference is it compared to a grass surface ? ie the bounce, dynamics, physics and falling onto it through a tackle or keeper diving on it.

Yes. It's like a carpet. It's the best surface I have ever played on tbh. I've played on the 3G at the High School and it's not a patch on the one at Palmerston.

I play in goal and I will admit that I need to wear trousers. I roll my sleeves up and the last time I got a helluva burn on my elbow. When you fall on it it's just the same as astroturf IMO; burns like a bitch. The ball bounces higher than it does on grass, but it doesn't take awkward bounces; that's a lot of shit. I will say that I feel it gives you yourself a better spring in your step. The ball doesn't bobble and as a GK I feel far far more confident receiving a back pass on that surface than any grass surface, as I know the ball will come along the ground flat; unlike grass pitches where there is a high chance the ball will bobble. The boy's said that it's a heavy pitch to play on and that it takes a lot out on them physically (tiredness), but out with that there were no complaints (and we got gubbed both times!!).

I will say one thing. I went over on my ankle somehow (genuinely don't know how I did it, it was after a by kick so I really shouldn't have hurt it) and it lasted for a couple of weeks. I'm not saying it was the pitch's fault, but it was a really bizarre injury. So I suppose I can see why some players with injuries are apprehensive with it.

I could maybe see an argument that players don't want to play on it with injuries, but as for saying it's a poorer surface than grass or the ball bounces differently (higher yes, but the bounce is far more predictable than grass) is a lot of nonsense.

I understand it is down to finances both in the maintenance and income through other events etc...That's fine and I have little complaint but you are trying to defend the indefensible by claiming there is little advantage or little difference. There is a huge difference in the way the ball reacts to the surface.

Who said it was poorer? The point people are making, and you are agreeing with, is the ball reacts differently.

You certainly implied it. Unless you were claiming that playing on a pitch of better quality than usual is somehow a disadvantage to the away side. And I dont see anyone agreeing with your "huge difference" claims in how the ball reacts.

Nice to see you've back-tracked from your original nonsense claims though.

Who said it was poorer? The point people are making, and you are agreeing with, is the ball reacts differently.

The ball doesn't react differently. It just tends to bounce higher. The way it moves after it hits the surface isn't any different to what it would be on grass; arguably it's far more predictable on plastic than it is on grass, as on plastic it won't hit a divot or a lump.

If by "reacts differently" you mean the ball bounces higher, then I completely agree with you. If you mean it in any other way then I entirely disagree.

Plastic pitch chat is genuinely the most tedious shit. An excuse ready made if you're team loses to the better team. If you're great on grass then you'll be great on plastic. If it gave such a massive fucking advantage then why aren't Killie absolutely coasting up the higher end of the top league?

Well this should divert the chat away from the pitch for a while!

I didn't really get involved in the petty squabbles that went on prior to this announcement as I prefer to make my petty squabbles related to the playing side of things. The business/financial side of things tends to bore me, and I know very little about it. Especially when the finances are as complicated as The Rangers'!

I think it was pretty clear though the intention of letting people in for free was a pre-meditated attempt at flouting the rules in an attempt to "get it right up" the SPFL. In true Scottish governing body fashion, the SPFL rather set themselves up for this by setting the precedent last season with Hibs.

If it was any other club reducing prices to this level it would be met with nothing but positive responses, so I don't see why it should be any different just because it is The Rangers. It won't affect our attendance at the game, we will still sell out our allocation it will just cost our fans less. All the better with further expensive away trips to come.

The only regrettable thing is that we were made to look like the bad guys by clarifying our stance early. So not only are we now a counter-attacking team with a shitty pitch, we're money grabbers who treat their season ticket holders with contempt as well.

Archived