Queen of the South VS Sevco: 2015 Playoff QF

I also believe McCall is playing mind games saying that they will not practise on plastic. He is trying to put over that playing on plastic is not a problem (when of course it is). And btw it is the Rangers players he is trying to convince!

I'm finding the comments in the press all a bit bizarre. Of course it could just be some successful trolling by McCall, if so then consider me wooshed.

Amusing as it is, the constant talk about the pitch will have zero effect on our preparations. It could well add to the jitters of our visitors though, who will already be well aware of their poor record at Palmerston. If they think they are beaten before they've even kicked off, having a ready-made excuse for a poor result isn't much of a consolation once it's happened. McCall can talk all he l

ikes about superstitions but it would appear daft to me to not practice on the identical surface he has available to him at Murray Park. It's either arrogance or idiocy, and speaking from experience, neither are particularly welcome attributes for a manager to have. As has already been covered, his comments about them being too attacking in the last game and falling for our counter-attacking style have absolutely no basis in reality.

Although the result suggests differently, the most recent game at Palmerston was the best I've seen The Rangers play against us. This was mainly due to them playing a high pressing game which forced us to go long, instead of working it from the back as we prefer to do. Although we ultimately were able to undo their defence it suggested McCall had at least done a bit of research and had made an attempt to nullify our threat. If his talk of sitting deeper and being more defensive is accurate it suggests to me that he hasn't learned a thing since our last meeting, not the opposite as he is suggesting.

As I've already said McCall will have his done his homework and he will have viewed the last two matches at Palmerston very closely. Don't believe all managers say in the newspapers! I don't think people see MCall as arrogant or an idiot!

Rangers did start the last game at Palmerston pressing high up the park and when in early possession penetrated mostly down the left unfortunately Templeton distribution was poor. I've said in other posts my disappointment in McCall that night was after 15 mins it was clear that Murdoch and Law were being out run and outplayed by QOS 3 central midfield players with Carmichael causing most problems with his pace and ability however he only changed the formation when he brought on Crawford in 50 odd mins. By that time QOS had a firm control of the game.

Even if QOS win the match I will be extremely disappointed if McCall doesn't come up with a game plan to make it a much closer score and performance than 2-0 and 3-0.

I repeat Rangers may lose however McCall is to experienced not to use all the factors from the previous matches.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sides with artificial surfaces do indeed have an additional benefit compared to their opponents. That benefit is they're well used to playing on the surface so they know better how much weight to put on a pass, how high the ball will bounce, which direction it will bounce etc..

Rangers will obviously be putting in some extra training on their artificial pitch at Auchenhowie, but even then that surface may play differently to the one at Palmerston.

This isn't obvious?............

Which direction the ball will bounce??

Magnificent.

Even someone with your powers of prediction can tell which direction the ball will bounce in. Unless it's got spin on it, it'll bounce in the direction it's traveling in, just as it would on grass.

The way you guys are going on about this is totally bonkers. You should really know that.

Sides with artificial surfaces do indeed have an additional benefit compared to their opponents. That benefit is they're well used to playing on the surface so they know better how much weight to put on a pass, how high the ball will bounce, which direction it will bounce etc..

By the same token Rangers will have an advantage over Queens in the second leg when playing on the grass pitch at Ibrox.

Rangers will obviously be putting in some extra training on their artificial pitch at Auchenhowie, but even then that surface may play differently to the one at Palmerston.

This isn't obvious?............

Magnificent.

Even someone with your powers of prediction can tell which direction the ball will bounce in. Unless it's got spin on it, it'll bounce in the direction it's traveling in, just as it would on grass.

The way you guys are going on about this is totally bonkers. You should really know that.

In the second half of the last game at Palmerston, in Rangers half Law played a high 20 metre square pass to Murdoch. It was always going to bounce once and clearly Murdoch was going to chest it to get the ball fully under control. It was a total surprise to me even watching it on the TV and definitely surprised Murdoch that it took a much higher bounce than expected an even with a jump the ball bounced over his head. This would not have taken the same height of bounce on grass. I firmly believe a QOS player due to playing every second week on the park would have known the bounce and therefore kept possession of the ball.

Despite having a grass pitch at home, Hearts didn't have too much difficulty on artificial pitches this season. We, of course, trained on them in days leading up to any of these games.

Hearts didn't make a fuss about plastic pitches either.

On the other hand there are those that made such a song and dance about plastic pitches that their teams were defeated before a ball was even kicked.

This is something that we could build on going forward albeit it is perhaps only the most weak minded of managers that would be suckered into thinking this way.

In the second half of the last game at Palmerston, in Rangers half Law played a high 20 metre square pass to Murdoch. It was always going to bounce once and clearly Murdoch was going to chest it to get the ball fully under control. It was a total surprise to me even watching it on the TV and definitely surprised Murdoch that it took a much higher bounce than expected an even with a jump the ball bounced over his head. This would not have taken the same height of bounce on grass. I firmly believe a QOS player due to playing every second week on the park would have known the bounce and therefore kept possession of the ball.

I don't accept that you're right, but even if I did, thepundit cited "how high the ball will bounce" and "which direction it will bounce" as separate consequences of playing on our surface.

Like you, he's havering.

If Rangers lose it will have nothing to do with the pitch. We should have beaten teams like Alloa.. Cowdenbeath..Livi etc and not put ourselves in this position.

Rangers should forget about plastic pitches and just concentrate on getting team selection rightt

Absolutely stunned at No8 making excuses before a ball is even kicked.

I am absolutely stunned you read my original post on Pitchgate and conclude I am using the plastic pitch as an excuse for anything

Magnificent.

Sure, it'll bounce in the general direction it was travelling in, but I often play on grass and artificial surfaces and it's just, well, different. The artificial surface tends to add more pace and alters the angle of the bounce, and a player would definitely be able to predict where the ball will go if they play on that surface regularly compared to a player who has only played on the surface a few times.

Does it make a massive difference? Not really. Should Rangers be losing the match? No. Will it be an acceptable excuse if they do? No. Will it be a disgrace if Rangers go there and lose for a third time? Yes.

I don't understand why folk think that The Rangers will park the bus at Palmerston on Saturday. It's not the Rangers philosophy, they will come out all guns blazing right from the kick off to put Queens under pressure to get the early goal.

How Queens react to the early pressure will determine how The Rangers will then play from the back passing the ball from side to side trying to probe for an opening to create a goal scoring opportunity.

The Rangers usually tire and get boring after 15 minutes if they can't create an opening because let's face it they are fucking gash at trying to probe for an opening through the defence. Most likely they will dive and feign injury near or inside the box because they are rank rotten.

Most likely if The Rangers fail to take a victory back to Ibrox or even worse a defeat the pitch will be blamed.

I don't think McCall has what it takes under pressure to motivate his high earning mercenaries when push comes to shove, they will instantly be deflated if they go a goal behind trying to attack for an equaliser then actually leaving themselves open for a real counter attack.

I think Queens will take the first leg and then it's up to The Rangers at Ibrox to make a come back of sorts before failing miserably and then the home support will supply us with endless days of wailing and gnashing of teeth at failing completely, and how it's a travesty that the powers that be kicked them down and tried to kill the club even though they created the rules to clone the club in the first place.

Mon the QoS.

Despite having a grass pitch at home, Hearts didn't have too much difficulty on artificial pitches this season. We, of course, trained on them in days leading up to any of these games.

And on a daily basis at Riccarton training base!

How does making 'a song and dance about plastic pitches really defeat a team before a ball was even kicked' Lol!

I don't accept that you're right, but even if I did, thepundit cited "how high the ball will bounce" and "which direction it will bounce" as separate consequences of playing on our surface.

Like you, he's havering.

Tbf I think thepundit means more speed and height rather than changing direction left or right. But anyone who says there is no difference when playing on artificial and grass are either never played on them or at the wind up or both!

I do think the younger players are more comfortable on artificial as they were brought up on it and maybe that makes it more difficult for some Rangers players! Only joking... Or am I ?

The artificial surface tends to add more pace and alters the angle of the bounce

Oh ma fuckin sides :lol:

Stupid people should not indulge in the subject of physics...

Archived