Berwick Rangers 2015/16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superb post from Red Mist. Full agree with it all. Let's hope the club see this post, although it's more than likely as they love a wee snoop on P&B. Dear the board, take note of it and please act!

Agree also with YF, a new artificial pitch will be pretty useless in our current stadium with the speedway track going round it and falling down terraces..

Superb post from Red Mist. Full agree with it all. Let's hope the club see this post, although it's more than likely as they love a wee snoop on P&B. Dear the board, take note of it and please act!

Agree also with YF, a new artificial pitch will be pretty useless in our current stadium with the speedway track going round it and falling down terraces..

The council seem to be trying to sell off everything else in the town to fund building a new HQ in Ashington, so maybe they'll sell us the ground back.

If they did, and I've said it before, I'd ditch the speedway and make the area of the stadium far smaller with a 4g pitch alongside the main stand and a couple small terraces behind the goal like Annan and get the whole town involved in the new set up. Could probably even then sell some of the waste land for development.

Some of the things Red Mist is talking about is far easier achievable though.

True. We could still, in theory, win the league next season. Don;t think anyone seriously believes that will happen, but if Cameron does sign 7-8 quality players then it becomes a possibility. But one succcessful season in 9 does'nt change the bigger picture stuff.

It is just about plausible that the Chairman thinks his end of season statement is sufficient to answer a group of a dozen or so people on here, that he and the Board might consider to be a small minority of serial whingers.

It is also plausible that Cameron regularly informs the Chairman of progress he is making on signing half a dozen or more excellent players. They may be very happy with how things are going, and comfortable with making an announcement in due course.

If however, we do end up scratching around in friendlies, looking at trialists who couldn't get an offer from anyone else, then this Board of Directors and the Manager will be gone by Christmas.

Messrs Porteous and Cameron will know the score right now. The rest of us will find out in July.

Here is a list of our current directors, the role of the chairman looks clear enough. We also know John Bell and Bill Parkin are the supporters reps on the board, What do the rest of the directors do? What is their roles within the club ? From the outside it looks like a private drinking club.

Honorary President: John Hush

Chairman: Brian Porteous

Vice-Chairman: John Bell

Directors: John Hush, Callum Porteous, William Parkin, Len Eyre, Moray McLaren, Alan Montgomery.

Associate Directors: Jimmy Crease, Neil Templeman

I agree with Red Mist, the current setup needs modernising. As well as having 10 directors, we have 3 paid members of staff, A Football Secretary, A Finanical Officer, and a Commericial Manager. These roles should be carried out by directors on the board saving around £300 per week (estimate/guess) and 15k per year. What is wrong with having a Finance Director, Commericial Director and Secretary all sitting on the board alongside The Chairman and a Community Director.

The club are sitting in the comfort zone due to gate receipts/TV money from recent cup-ties, there is no point looking back, we need to start building for the future as big cup games are not a guaranted source of income.

Again I have to agree with Red Mist there is more to this than simply replacing the manager, the system is broken and needs immediate attention. A complete overhaul is required starting at the top, consultation with the supporters is a good starting point.

It was reported Cameron spent one of the biggest budgets in the club's history last season, finishing eighth should have been an automatic dismissal for poor performance. When the season finished on the 2nd May, we all expected to see a hoard of new signings, 8 weeks have passed and we have got two new players over the line with many players leaving(no bad thing). It's almost at crisis point and there is a deafening silence from all at TD15 2EF.

Not sure I'd want the directors doing the roles you talk about. I'd rather the directors set out and manage the overall direction of the club and take ultimate responsibility rather than give them the jobs that people like Dennis McLeary has decades of experience in.

Unless you're suggesting Dennis, Connie and Lindsay go on the board, then I think they would be a huge loss to the club, if as you seem to suggest, the club get rid of them.

I never suggested that we get rid of the personnel currently filling those positions, I suggested we modernise the board and create new positions for directors. Nothing wrong with offering the current employees a position on the board. I am going to start a new topic to see how our setup compares to others.

I believe Cameron is trying to sign Jackie Myles from Musselburgh and the lad Sam Young from Dunbar

sam has had a great season at dunbar,but is it too much of a step?? he was previously at shielfield in the under 17 squad from a few seasons back. he scored pretty much every week in the juniors last season.

Was very impressed with Myles the three times I saw him playing for Musselburgh last season.

The lad has such an engine on him and puts a real shift in.

Coming onto the other debate regarding the running of the organisation I have to agree with a few posters that the club could do with an influx of fresh blood with the passion and the get up and go like what Mr Pike and co have achieved up at Duns.

We've been stagnant for years. There doesn't seem any urgency to try and achieve anything or better ourselves. The whole club just seems to have been stuck in a rut since 2008.

When you look at what the likes of Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, Alloa & Stranraer have been able to achieve. Clubs of siniliar standing and fan base to ourselves and to where we have been stuck its clear to see we've clearly under achieved on the park.

So what's it now? 3 from Coldstream, 1 from Duns, 2 from Musselburgh and 1 from Dunbar? Haha. No disrespect to any of those players individually as some may turn out to be class, and we've had success with the likes of Swanson from that level before. However, it's still a bit worrying if we're expecting all of these to manage the huge step up in class.

3 from Whitehill too apparently. However no one knew about McKenna who is genuinely a good signing so there is still hope.

Who did come from Musselburgh himself didn't he? Suppose at least it means we're going to have a big turn around in the squad which was needed.

Huge step up in class!! Haway Brian we are in the 4th tier of Scottish football.Its hardly a Huge step up.Granted yes we would all prefer players from Premier/ Championship teams but as you said Swanson wasnt

On the football front, we need experienced players in to balance the guys stepping up from the juniors. Some of them may be real finds, who knows, but it's not reasonable to expect a team of newbies to gel from the off without some experienced hands at the tiller. And by that i don't mean a 43 year old manager who I'd expect to feature only very occasionally at best.

The good thing is it looks like we'll have our wish of a redically overhauled squad. Whether they're good enough remains to be seen.

Hearing that Brydon is out of contract at the end of the month, so expect him to sign on if he performs well in trials/training.

Huge step up in class!! Haway Brian we are in the 4th tier of Scottish football.Its hardly a Huge step up.Granted yes we would all prefer players from Premier/ Championship teams but as you said Swanson wasnt

Haha. Aye fair enough, I'm not saying our standard is brilliant, but there's a big drop off between League 2 (and wanting to challenge at the top end) and East Of Scotland that some of my mates play in. Hoskins looked a cut above in the reserve games at that level and was poor at League 2.

Archived