Berwick Rangers 2015/16

A youngster called Charlie Denton tweeting tonight that he has signed. He's from Dunfermline (shock) though I don't know if he was on their books.

He also says that Ex-rangers Ian Black was training with us tonight. Struth....

Used to be a youth at Cowden who played last season at Kirkcaldy YM and Berwick's 20s side as a trialist.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem at all with Tulloch leaving. Hope he doesn't take the entire medical bag with him.

As for all these suggested root and branch reorgs of the club, I do generally agree, but it is still more than possible for the current set-up to bring success on the pitch. There's nothing about it that guarantees a crap team.

A motivating manager, investment in good players with a mixture of experience and youth, and as BM says an on-pitch leader, and we're sorted.

I remember John Bell saying that some signing targets don't want to travel to Berwick each week, and I guess it is a small problem. But then again, £100k+ from last year's cup run should more than compete with that, yet there is no evidence of any of that being splashed around.

Investment in infrastructure, Community involvement, Visible and committed Board of Directors, - all commendable and will improve the long term future. But I do think we might be over analysing. The main reason we haven't walked away with the league is that we've had too many crap players and a few shite managers.

I'm not having the travelling distance to Berwick 18-20 times a year tbh. We train in the capital city and Peterhead, Stranraer, Forfar and Arbroath are hardly bustling metropolises. More likely, we probably have a bad reputation for whatever reason and players will use that as an excuse.

I looked around the squads of what should be similar sized clubs in League 1 and they all seem to have 2 or 3 players each at least who have played 30+ games in the top league, and aren't crippled or past it like Dargo was. Surely they go down to that level and raise the standards and are probably worth every penny of their wage. Currie was hardly on peanuts here, or Lavery.

I'm not having the travelling distance to Berwick 18-20 times a year tbh. We train in the capital city and Peterhead, Stranraer, Forfar and Arbroath are hardly bustling metropolises.

You've obviously never been ;)

In seriousness though as a town of 25k we are, and Forfar are an hour from Aberdeen, 15 minutes from Dundee, 1 hour 45 minutes from Glasgow and 1 hour and a bit from Edinburgh. Not too bad distance from the biggest 4 cities. All good roads to Arbroath and Forfar too, we aren't exactly the same as Stranraer or Peterhead, which are worse for travelling too IMO. Like yourself really apart from we are close to Dundee and Aberdeen too. We train in Dundee 1 night and Perth the other.

Ricky Little comes from near Ayr I'm sure, this will be his 3rd year!!! I personally don't know how he manages. Travelling must be a right pain in the arse but if the money and incentive is there for the player they'll make the effort.

I agree about the travelling distance, but John Bell was serious that it was a problem for attracting players to the club.

But over the last few years, these players got lots of pitch time.

Stuart Noble

Damon Gray

Damian Gielty

Josh Morris

Dean Carse

Scott Dalziel

Michael Deland

Michael Andrews

Dean Hoskins

Stephen Thomson

Fraser Mclaren

Stuart Callaghan

Hey, insert your favourites. Just saying that I don't see weak links like these in promoted teams or those genuinely challenging for the top.

For some years, Berwick always seem to have carried some really weak players. They're like Showaddywaddy - always at least 3 of them doing feck all

You've obviously never been ;)

In seriousness though as a town of 25k we are an hour from Aberdeen, 15 minutes from Dundee, 1 hour 45 minutes from Glasgow and 1 hour and a bit from Edinburgh. Not too bad distance from the biggest 4 cities. All good roads to Arbroath and Forfar too, we aren't exactly the same as Stranraer or Peterhead, which are worse for travelling too IMO. Like yourself really apart from we are close to Dundee and Aberdeen too. We train in Dundee 1 night and Perth the other.

Ricky Little comes from near Ayr I'm sure, this will be his 3rd year!!! I personally don't know how he manages. Travelling must be a right pain in the arse but if the money and incentive is there for the player they'll make the effort.

Dundee fair enough, but we're closer to Edinburgh than you are Aberdeen. 45-50mins by road. I had to pick my brother up at Arbroath station last year and drive to Aberdeen for a wedding. I'd rather drive the road from Edinburgh to Berwick, have to say. Haha.

Edited to add, this must be a new thing, because I started watching Berwick around 1992, and I can barely remember us ever being lodged in the worst 5 or so clubs in Scotland consistently apart from the last 7 years.

Dundee fair enough, but we're closer to Edinburgh than you are Aberdeen. 45-50mins by road. I had to pick my brother up at Arbroath station last year and drive to Aberdeen for a wedding. I'd rather drive the road from Edinburgh to Berwick, have to say. Haha.

Aye fair does. I hope you drove via Brechin and not Montrose!! You're only 15 minutes to Brechin then you're on the A90 the rest of the journey.

Another great post.

Just concentrating on the team for a bit, its the lack of change and the acceptance that the same failures are going to somehow all of a sudden produce that annoys me. Through Crease, Little and 18 months of Cameron its been the same. Because they can turn it on once in every 2 or 3 games, they get new contracts and we just seem to hope they can become more consistent.

In essence my view entirely. Mediocrity and failure just breeds more of the same without inspired change. It may be worth spending some of the rainy day fund on bringing in someone from an expert firm to see what improvements could be made at the club rather than just continue along the path to almost certain Lowland League football within the next 5 years. As others have said there needs to be a positive plan and alternatives if the original fails. Not just a carry on of the same formula and tried and tested trusty methods that are failing.

It's hilarious how the club cry about Pie and Bovril constantly, but nearly every piece of news leaks on here first. Ha. I find out more from people who don't even follow Berwick in the gym than I do official channels. It all leaks from the board too.

When is this talk with the chairman and manager happening anyway? This week? Before Killie a week on Saturday or over a briddie in some random Forfar pub the following week? Because I assume it won't be held on a midweek night when the other friendlies are.

Or has it been shifted into the season after they hope our half a team draw Shire or Montrose at home in the cup and prey we beat them so everyone's happy again?

It's hilarious how the club cry about Pie and Bovril constantly, but nearly every piece of news leaks on here first. Ha. I find out more from people who don't even follow Berwick in the gym than I do official channels. It all leaks from the board too.

Spot on. I get 99% of my Berwick info from P&B.

I can understand how gossip/transfers can appear on here before abywhere else but stuff such as new captain etc should come from official sources first.

The club should be contacting the social media team with information as soon as it happens in my opinion. Takes very little time.

Archived