Brora Rangers v Montrose, Play Off 1st Leg

It takes just 2 minutes playing on Google Maps to realise that the distance from Montrose to most LL grounds is much less than the majority of HL ones. As previously said, Montrose isn't even remotely 'Highland' anyway.

You should take more than 2 minutes then. How many LL clubs are nearer than say, Cove Rangers, Inverurie Locos, Formartine, Turriff, Keith, Huntly, Deveronvale or Fraserburgh? There are a few more not much further away. They'd only have to go to Wick once a season.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should take more than 2 minutes then. How many LL clubs are nearer than say, Cove Rangers, Inverurie Locos, Formartine, Turriff, Keith, Huntly or Fraserburgh? There are a few more not much further away. They'd only have to go to Wick once a season.

Surely that's punishment enough for being relegated?

Tie is setup perfectly for next Saturday. Will be heading to Links Park rather than Dens.

A lot of rubbish has been written about Brora, the players absolutely want to win this and a number of the board do too. When people write about Brora offering nothing, it is generally from supporters of clubs who have offered very little for many years. Brora have a very good squad for their level with a number of strong younger players from the local area, on top of the big named players.

Good luck to Brora, looking forward to next week.

So, 90% of Scottish football then. Letting in village pub teams just south of the Faroe Islands will improve things will it?

Clyde are jumped up under achieving nobodies. A wanna be big club who have illusions way above their real place in the football world. Clyde are 38 out of 42 in Scottish football. That is where you are and don't forget it.

The fifth worst team in Scotland !

You keep dishing out to a small club cos you THINK you are something you're not !

Clyde are jumped up under achieving nobodies. A wanna be big club who have illusions way above their real place in the football world. Clyde are 38 out of 42 in Scottish football. That is where you are and don't forget it.

You keep dishing out to a small club cos you THINK you are something you're not !

To be honest, even Clyde fans think that they're pish.

U ok hunnie? Xxx

You should take more than 2 minutes then. How many LL clubs are nearer than say, Cove Rangers, Inverurie Locos, Formartine, Turriff, Keith, Huntly, Deveronvale or Fraserburgh? There are a few more not much further away. They'd only have to go to Wick once a season.

Deveronvale & Keith are the same distance as Stirling & Spartans, Buckie is the same as Whitehill Welfare, Edinburgh is the same as Rothes, East Kilbride is closer than Forres, Selkirk the same as Nairn etc. A key part though is that the road network in the Lowlands is considerably better than in the north, hence although places may be the same distance, it's notably quicker to fire down to East Kilbride or Edinburgh on the motorway rather being stuck behind an ASDA lorry along the shitey A96.

Having worked it out, Montrose fans would only travel an extra 100 miles over the season being part of the HL rather than LL, although that's with Brora (the second furthest away) taken out. I therefore concede that my point was over-exaggerated with regards to distance but it still works out less being part of the LL. Notably less time travelling time is required, that's for sure, which is the main factor for the players and fans involved.

Deveronvale & Keith are the same distance as Stirling & Spartans, Buckie is the same as Whitehill, Edinburgh is the same as Rothes, East Kilbride is closer than Forres, Selkirk the same as Nairn etc. A key part is that the road network in the Lowlands is considerably better than in the north, hence although places may be the same distance, it's notably quicker to fire down to East Kilbride or Edinburgh on the motorway rather being stuck behind an ASDA lorry along the shitey A96.

Having worked it out, Montrose fans would only travel an extra 100 miles over the season being part of the HL rather than LL, although that's with Brora (the second furthest away) taken out. I therefore concede that my point was over-exaggerated with regards to distance but it still works out less being part of the LL. Far less time will be taken, that's for sure.

If you took out the outliers like Wick which is only once a season after all, I think you'd find the average journey shorter given the concentration of teams in Aberdeenshire.

Deveronvale & Keith are the same distance as Stirling & Spartans, Buckie is the same as Whitehill Welfare, Edinburgh is the same as Rothes, East Kilbride is closer than Forres, Selkirk the same as Nairn etc. A key part though is that the road network in the Lowlands is considerably better than in the north, hence although places may be the same distance, it's notably quicker to fire down to East Kilbride or Edinburgh on the motorway rather being stuck behind an ASDA lorry along the shitey A96.

Having worked it out, Montrose fans would only travel an extra 100 miles over the season being part of the HL rather than LL, although that's with Brora (the second furthest away) taken out. I therefore concede that my point was over-exaggerated with regards to distance but it still works out less being part of the LL. Notably less time travelling time is required, that's for sure, which is the main factor for the players and fans involved.

Spot on regarding the north of Scotland road network. Inverness to Brora took me 94 mins yesterday.

If you took out the outliers like Wick which is only once a season after all, I think you'd find the average journey shorter given the concentration of teams in Aberdeenshire.

You'd then have to take out a LL outlier such as Castle Douglas / Dalbeattie to make a fair comparison.

Spot on regarding the north of Scotland road network. Inverness to Brora took me 94 mins yesterday.

57 miles, taking the same amount of time where a Gable Ender from Montrose could have been passing Dunblane en route to a match against Stirling Uni (85 miles).

I've also just realised a rather significant point, in that many SPFL part time players live in the central belt, so add on . I know Brechin train in Stirling midweek, unsure about Montrose's player base?

Rothes is a nice wee place, but I would never equate it to Edinburgh.

What is the general opinion of the Brora supporters regarding the comments of Mr Young the Chairman and the smell of sporting impropriety which it caused. I believe the team are giving it their all but has the Chairman altered his stance. His programme notes against Edinburgh City and Montrose seemed at best ................err a bit wishy-washy.

They'd only be travelling north of Inverness once a season. I've been travelling all over the HL grounds this season and the roads have usually been pretty clear on a Saturday, including the A96, although I usually get the train if the train stops in town. The road to Wick from Inverness is a spectacular drive in good weather, especially north of Brora.

They'd only be travelling north of Inverness once a season.

Roads are in a similar state north of Aberdeen. Getting through Aberdeen along Anderson Drive can take half an hour alone and on the relevant routes, dual carriageway only extends as far as Inverurie.

Scotland needs to regionalise football below Championship.

Looking at it from a Brora perspective that would actually change very little for them... If QP stay down, their current 220 miles average round trip in HL would become 420 miles in SPFL2... If you regionalised SPFL1&2 it would only fall to 370 miles. It would change very little for lots of clubs actually, due to the way clubs are currently spread out at the moment: central belt clubs see little difference in replacing a trip to Elgin and a trip to Annan, with a trip to Stranraer and a trip to Annan. It's only notable impact would be to end the Elgin/Peterhead to Stranraer/Annan long hauls.

The whole idea (drawn up in an office in Hampden) of "let's just draw a line at say... Dundee, because that feels north and far away" was utterly stupid.

It takes just 2 minutes playing on Google Maps to realise that the distance from Montrose to most LL grounds is much less than the majority of HL ones. As previously said, Montrose isn't even remotely 'Highland' anyway.

I'm sorry but any suggestion that the 2 regional feeders should be formed as 1 running from the Solway and Tweed to around about Stonehaven, and the other covering little more than a corridor between Aberdeen and Inverness, is totally ludicrous. That's totally imbalanced.

It only really makes (debateable) sense from an Angus club perspective anyway. Not viewed overall.

I presume you have viewed this in absolute figures though, i.e. by comparing 17 HL games with 13 LL games? There are additional cup matches in LL to fill-out the program and it intends to increase to 16 clubs (i.e. 15 away games). I can't seem to find the figure just now but this arose in another thread and I recall discovering that the average distance per game was slightly lower for Montrose in HL versus LL?

EDIT: Having just looked at it myself using RAC routeplanner, in HL next season Montrose would average 200 miles per round trip whereas in LL it would average 248 miles?

I appreciate the journey time point but in cost terms that's a decent rise. And certainly no justification to move the boundary to Stonehaven.

Roads are in a similar state north of Aberdeen. Getting through Aberdeen along Anderson Drive can take half an hour alone and on the relevant routes, dual carriageway only extends as far as Inverurie.

Aberdeen's a nightmare to get through, but it doesn't take long to get up to places like Fraserburgh and Banff when you're out of it. I've found the road network pretty decent and haven't had many delays, then I'm not travelling mid week at rush hour. If there's not much traffic you can cover the mileage fine without dual carriage roads.

I can't seem to find the figure just now but this arose in another thread and I recall discovering that the average distance per game was slightly lower for Montrose in HL versus LL?

It will be including the additional games, but it will involve less time being in the LL. Bear in mind this is for Montrose, never mind Arbroath, Forfar and Dundee side (should one of the big two collapse or somebody like Lochee wish to go senior) where the figures only get worse as you go south.

If there's not much traffic you can cover the mileage fine without dual carriage roads.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It's not as if the roads are dead up here at the weekend, as I found on the Dyce to Banff road just yesterday (a Saturday funnily enough) which you cannot remotely compare to the A90 (south) / M90.

If we go up it will mean some very long trips next year but as the HL is now a feeder division then we have no option to go up and take that leap into the dark. If it didn't happen this season then we'd have the same issues next year. Best we bite the bullet and go for it. We'll welcome Clyde just as anyone else. Been at the bottom of HL for so long this new found notoriety quite good. Wish John Young had said nowt but he did and media made more of it. I think he was involved with East Stirling before coming to Brora and played at Exeter and Southend. Good guy.

Here are all the round trips for Montrose in HL (blue) versus LL (red). I think the fact that 9 of the 10 shortest trips are in HL, whilst 3 of the 4 longest are in LL, adds to the justification for the boundary being the Tay.

Cove - 80 miles

Formartine - 100 miles

Inverurie - 100 miles

Turriff - 146 miles

Huntly - 154 miles

Fraserburgh - 160 miles

Deveronvale - 168 miles

Strathspey - 168 miles

Stirling - 168 miles

Keith - 174 miles

Edinburgh City - 184 miles

Edinburgh Uni - 184 miles