Brora Rangers v Montrose, Play Off 1st Leg

Typical blanket, wall-to-wall, over-indulgent, done-to-death, verbose, flogging a dead horse, über-exposure, just typical of BBC's Lower League coverage i.m.o.

edited to add: fantastic close-up shots too!

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardly a conspiracy when people have been as overt as Brora have about wanting to stay in the Highland League. Conspiracies involve stuff that isn't openly stated like that. They've done enough to keep up appearances, having not been lunatic enough to field a youth team against Edinburgh City or anything like that.

Am guessing you're on the wind up. But if there was any truth to the above then they would have deliberately lost the penalty shoot out against Edinburgh city.

Am guessing you're on the wind up. But if there was any truth to the above then they would have deliberately lost the penalty shoot out against Edinburgh city.

Deliberately throwing the Edinburgh game would deny them a potential big gate in the play-off final.

Brora have given themselves a mountain to climb to lose this tie now!

Massive loss bonuses being offered to all players I'm sure.

In all seriousness though, Brora have nothing to offer the spfl. Small club, from a small village, with a very small minded outlook. Let them stay in the highland league. Hope Montrose win the return leg.

Tie is setup perfectly for next Saturday. Will be heading to Links Park rather than Dens.

A lot of rubbish has been written about Brora, the players absolutely want to win this and a number of the board do too. When people write about Brora offering nothing, it is generally from supporters of clubs who have offered very little for many years. Brora have a very good squad for their level with a number of strong younger players from the local area, on top of the big named players.

Good luck to Brora, looking forward to next week.

Just back. Disappointed with the scoreline, but not totally disheartened by what I've seen.

Brora are really not that great a side: they moved the ball around well in spots, but they did switch back to a route-one clogfest at the end when they started to tire, and were fortunate to hold onto their lead by the end. We can beat this side at LP if we are set up properly, however can't afford to carry any passengers, and annoyingly there were a few of them today.

This is going to be the slowest week ever. :(

Just back home - if Brora do progress then good luck to them: Over 320 miles Aberdeen-Brora-Aberdeen, and just over 7 hours of driving for that. I wouldn't want to be a player doing that distance, and more, 18 times a season and trying to perform at my best.

First half Montrose had about three good chances to hit the target; all were lofted wildly over the bar. Perhaps Woody was the worst culprit, wildly hacking at the ball when bearing down on goal having beaten the offside trap when he should have at least hit the target. In fact, I can't remember us actually warming Malin's hands in the first half, apart from Johnstone's weak floaty crosses from corners. For all his mass size and laughable lack of pace, I have to compliment Munro's marshalling of the Brora back line - standing right in line with the linesman I could see him time again failing to bite and holding his line, leaving over-eager McIntosh, Wood and Johnstone to run offside. Their goal: a long kick out from the keeper, a couple of bounces and a big Marv og in the bottom left of the goal (from what I could see). Not sure McKenzie had had to make a proper save before then. Webster had theatrically dived to try and win an earlier penalty, and Masson stayed on the floor long enough to earn Brora a yellow card. But Watson's yellow (for what looked like simply jumping up for a header?) was an odd decision, made even more bewildering by the following two, high-footed, challenges from Brora which both went unpunished.

Second half Montrose were better at pushing down the wings and trying to pressure Brora but we were still making it too easy for them. As has already been said on here, they really weren't a great team today. Montrose could not keep the ball on the deck or find a simple pass, or when near the box actually have a strike. Watson did eventually pull out two full length saves from Malin and a Campbell corner did look suspiciously close to the line before being cleared, but we didn't really convert the far greater pressure into many meaningful chances. A breakaway Sutherland dash should have buried the game off but our woeful finishing appeared to be contagious. Brora looked to time waste from the back from about 50 minutes and the fans properly tore into Malin.

All is not lost, but we have to keep the ball on the deck next week at LP. After his OG, Marvin looked a lot stronger and a bigger presence at the back, mopping up most. McIntosh should have been hooked a lot earlier - good to have him back after injury but he wasn't at the races today at all. Allan's directness and willingness to run at the back line was a nice change to long balls and wayward high passes. Agree that there were too many passengers today.

Brora really weren't a great side at all this afternoon so am worried if their free-scoring alter ego turn up at LP. Still looking forward to next weekend on a flat pitch when we need more of the second half display and some shooting practice midweek please.

Good day out, could have been a lot worse, but could have been better. First goal will be vital at LP.

I'm bloody shattered after that away day the highlight of which was a fantastic fish supper at Keith on the way home.

I've tried three times to write something about the game and had to give it up, the brain's no working.

We were bad, Brora were not much better.

The highland league must be some Nick.

.Brora really weren't a great side at all this afternoon so am worried if their free-scoring alter ego turn up at LP.

2 own goals, by order of their chairman.

I'm bloody shattered after that away day the highlight of which was a fantastic fish supper at Keith on the way home.

Strathisla Cafe?

Thank Christ I don't pay for a TV license. Shocking.

At least they gave a description of it going in off the defender. Most of the time I swear they write the report off the back off livescore, e.g.

"McGinty put the [insert club nick name here] ahead in the 27th minute before McTavish doubled the score from the spot after the opposition fouled in the box. Albion scored two minutes from time but were unable to get an equaliser for a much needed point."

Eta: Might pop down for the second leg seeing as I'll have nothing to do after our result today. Massive game with just a single goal in it.

Because I'm paranoid I think a dodgy penalty for the Mo just before half time and then a 93rd minute o.g. might just save them... :unsure2:

David Kirkwood was certainly up for the game last week as were the crowd.

Dropping into the Highland League might not be such a bad thing for Montrose- ok you lose the derby against Arbroath which attracts a good crowd but there might be some kind of increase in crowds like the Hearts if existence is threatened. Either that or I'll start buying shares in Montrose Roselea...

Don't have an axe to grind with either club and am yet to visit either, but as a supporter of club that is considered geographically remote in our league by many, I fail to see this as a reason to want to exclude a club. If they win promotion on the field of play fair and square, then they deserve it and should be welcomed. After all, it will be them that does by far the most miles on the road, not a team that has to go there twice a season.

If they have said they don't want to go up then I assume they will lose anyway, but if they win, that's no longer a reason to have a go at them as they will have been honest and taken their place in the league because that's what the rules require them to do, if anything they should be more respected for that as they could have just kept their mouths shut and thrown a play off game.

What I really want to know, is if Montrose do go down, which league will they go into. I assume it would be the highland as the lowland league is full and they are further North than every team in it?

Its not even that far lads ;)

I have done Sunderland to Swansea this season at 702 miles round trip and Sunderland to Southampton at 660 miles round trip. The longest trip I can find in Scotland at the moment is Stranraer to Peterhead at 528 miles and I doubt Brora to anywhere gets close to those two trips I did.

Sunderland to Plymouth Argyle is 812 miles round trip.

I realise we benefit from better roads once we get down to the places down south deemed important enough to have motorways, but don't normally hit one of those for about 50 miles.

Re the travelling ourselves and Newcastle do something like three times the miles on the road each season than the likes of Stoke or Aston Villa and the London clubs are protected by the amount of local derbies, yet whenever a Southern club comes up here they get praised as its 'such a long way'. In contrast when we go to London 5 times a season and sell out, we are not praised. Its clearly further when travelling North than going South ^_^

According to google its a 590mile trip from annan to brora and back that should take over 10hours in a car.come on the mo,elgin away is far enough in a season without adding brora to the league!

Because I'm paranoid I think a dodgy penalty for the Mo just before half time and then a 93rd minute o.g. might just save them... :unsure2:

David Kirkwood was certainly up for the game last week as were the crowd.

Dropping into the Highland League might not be such a bad thing for Montrose- ok you lose the derby against Arbroath which attracts a good crowd but there might be some kind of increase in crowds like the Hearts if existence is threatened. Either that or I'll start buying shares in Montrose Roselea...

The travelling wouldn't be that bad for Montrose, perhaps on average better than in SPFL 2. Apart from one trip a year to Wick and Fort William, and the handful of teams close to Inverness, most of the trips will be less than 2 hours, less than Brora have to do even in the HL.

Brora played yesterday without possibly the Highland Leagues most dangerous player in Andrew Greig. Brora did not perform that well really but we are still in there punching. It will be tough in the 2nd tie but Montrose are not to be feared anymore than Cove Rangers or Wick Academy..

The Montrose fans who travelled were good natured and I am sure they are in genuine fear of what could happen to their club which most fans at this level know all about it's just a pity it's not Clyde to be honest.

The tie is on a knife edge and an early goal either way could turn it one way or another. Not sure if we saw the real Montrose only their people know that but they can be assured they didn't see the real Brora. We will be noisy next week and if we can go up we will give it a go especially against the big mouths who don't believe small clubs should have a chance and that bottom clubs should be allowed to stay up whatever.

Scotland needs to regionalise football below Championship.

Archived