Club AGM's

forrest

This may be covered elsewhere, appologies in advance if so.

Cambuslangs recent decision of the AGM (members?) to fire their manager, made me wonder what these 'members' did to qualify, to make such decisions. Not something that i would agree with, but in fairnes, ahm not a Cambuslang Rangers fan, so really none of my business

Can people connected with clubs actually tell me, what are the requirements to get into their clubs AGM?

Any other clubs hire/fire managers in this manner?

When does your clubs AGM happen? Preseason? End of season? Anytime?

This may be covered elsewhere, appologies in advance if so.

Cambuslangs recent decision of the AGM (members?) to fire their manager, made me wonder what these 'members' did to qualify, to make such decisions. Not something that i would agree with, but in fairnes, ahm not a Cambuslang Rangers fan, so really none of my business

Can people connected with clubs actually tell me, what are the requirements to get into their clubs AGM?

Any other clubs hire/fire managers in this manner?

When does your clubs AGM happen? Preseason? End of season? Anytime?

At Bo'ness United the AGM is in June. Pay £5 to become a member of the Club at the start of the season which entitles you to attend the AGM.

At Ladeside you need to be a season ticket holder

Only usually club business like finance & office bearers re elected & new committee members picked

LADESIDE

Same here.football decisions are the responsibility of the manager and football club committee.

Same here.football decisions are the responsibility of the manager and football club committee.

At the same time the AGM gives opportunity for any member to make a proposal and if seconded it would go to a vote. However the reality is as you post.

Same at Neilston, a season ticket makes you a member of the club and therefore eligible to attend the AGM. The club at the end of the day is the sum total of the members coming together under a constitution.

Although the committee are empowered to run the club, it is the members who put the committee in those positions at the AGM.

The committe have to walk the tightrope of doing what they think is right for the club and at the same time having to take on board the feelings of the members, particularly if those feelings are strong and are not consistent with the committee's view on things.

Our AGM is at the end of the season and a notice goes into the local press to that effect as per the constitution.

A wee bit surprised to read at some clubs you need to be season ticket holder, I though an AGM was open to the public especially with most if not all junior clubs being public entities.

I know at Talbot the AGM is open to the public where by any fan can attend and have an input. Also the committee steps down and people have to be re-elected back on or new folk taking up positions.

A wee bit surprised to read at some clubs you need to be season ticket holder, I though an AGM was open to the public especially with most if not all junior clubs being public entities.

I know at Talbot the AGM is open to the public where by any fan can attend and have an input. Also the committee steps down and people have to be re-elected back on or new folk taking up positions.

These issues will depend on the wording of the club's constitution.

Years ago when season tickets were limited to 200 as per SJFA rules we had two constitutions - one for the social club and one for the football.

But cleverly the social one only entitled you to a vote if you were a member of the football club - this ensured that the football always remained the main priority and not the social club.

I think some people are confusing "season ticket holders" with club members, although in most cases with junior clubs they are the same thing. At senior clubs which are mostly limited companies only shareholders would be admitted to an AGM.

I am very surprised to hear that Talbot will admit anyone to their AGM, is this really the case?

If that were so, then outsiders e.g. Cumnock folk could turn up "en masse" and vote to dissolve the club. This would solve many of their problems at a stroke.

I imagine with some of the smaller clubs which are run by a mere handfull of people they don't bother with an AGM at all.

Rutherglen Glencairn have members rather than season ticket holders, but as the previous poster suggested they are pretty much the same thing, except the members have voting rights. I have been a member for about 15 years and a committee member for the past 5 years, and in all that time I can only recall one occasion where the members actually voted on the manager's position. The manager was overwhelmingly retained by the members, and then resigned five games into the following season after the team's poor results continued.

So, while our members do have the power to sack the manager, they have never done so in my time as a member.

It's the committees that are elected by members so we must be accountable to the members. Should the club fold all members are responsible for any debt the club may have. I'm pretty sure this isn't uncommon or am I way off the mark?

It's the committees that are elected by members so we must be accountable to the members. Should the club fold all members are responsible for any debt the club may have. I'm pretty sure this isn't uncommon or am I way off the mark?

Most junior clubs are unincorporated associations. They will have a constitution which details how the club should be run, including membership rules, who can vote and how committees are elected. Membership could be based on the purchase of season tickets, or people just paying £1. There should also be statements on what the committee can do and can't do, roles of treasurer and secretary in particular, as well on rules for calling AGM, going overdrawn etc.

The big down side of being incorporated is that anything that goes wrong and the club owes money it can't pay then the committee members are personally liable, not the members. This will be on a 'jointly and severally' basis. In other words if any one committee member has enough money to settle the debt then they can be pursued on their own.

One way to avoid this is to change to a company limited by guarantee. This means that individuals cannot be chased for money, and any liability will not exceed the cost of membership. (£1 from the example above). For a company ltd by guarantee you need to submit accounts to Companies House each year. A 1 page statement would be enough. And to create a company ltd by guarantee costs 30 quid or so (if I remember right).

If anyone wants copies of sample documents (legally prepared) for either setup, I can supply. Just PM me.

Years ago when season tickets were limited to 200 as per SJFA rules.

WHAT!!!

Now the sjfa is rightly attacked for being backwards and has a number of batshit crazy rules still in place, but for the majority of them there is some vague reasoning to justify them. But that just seems utterly ridiculous.

I think some people are confusing "season ticket holders" with club members, although in most cases with junior clubs they are the same thing. At senior clubs which are mostly limited companies only shareholders would be admitted to an AGM.

I am very surprised to hear that Talbot will admit anyone to their AGM, is this really the case?

If that were so, then outsiders e.g. Cumnock folk could turn up "en masse" and vote to dissolve the club. This would solve many of their problems at a stroke.

I imagine with some of the smaller clubs which are run by a mere handfull of people they don't bother with an AGM at all.

To get passed this problem we let down the tyres of the reliant robin the night before the AGM, then the 3 Cumnock fans can't travel

For the various reasons cited above since I became involved in our Committee 10 years ago having finished playing and been involved in the Management of the team we looked at the following:

Would you believe our Manager was on the Committee! Imagine the meeting when you were deciding to sack him?

We then had an issue where a local Sponsor was infuriated when the financial workings of a deal were spouted out a Bowling green an hour after the meeting and then cast back to the Sponsor another hour later. That almost blew a massive Sponsorship change for our club. We also at the time had our tea lady as a Committee member and as I pointed out she could have had the casting vote on something as critical as sacking a Manager.

We then decided to form an Executive Committee at that point who would discuss and agree the main running decisions but would report back to the General Committee.

In 2014 we became at Ltd Liability club on the recommendations of our Accountants and I think that is something that all clubs should consider bearing in mind the chances of being sued and liable these days.

One slight problem is the relaying of Financial matters on a monthly basis but in general it works well. Our AGM is open doors to try and attract new members but it doesent. We have usually attracted formers members who like to come along and try and point out pitfalls but as a well run club with decent funds it is hard to find any holes in how we are run!

Archived