The 56 in Westminster!

Labour mps got £67,060 as their salary plus expenses and a nice fat pension

Snp mps will get £67.060 plus expenses and a nice fat pension. Pot kettle black mr fud.

No they won't they will be getting a touch over £74k a year plus expenses.

The pay rise that the defeated MP's voted in has taken effect. Shame they weren't around long enough to pick it up :(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will spend plenty of time in westminster weather it be in the chamber or their own offices and will have 2nd homes in london,the majority of their time will be in london.

Look here is their second home

https://twitter.com/PeteWishart/status/600626416657551360

How about some credit in doing something that will save the taxpayer quite a few pennies.

How about some credit in doing something that will save the taxpayer quite a few pennies.

:lol::lol: They've actually done it. Saw someone suggest they get a no frills block of flats to house #team56, but never thought anything would come of it. This will maximise the seethe from the Southerners and maximise the love from Northern England. Pleasing.

I don't know why but I feel a wee bit uneasy about this. It's almost like they've all got to be kept together because they're not trusted. It must be a difficult thing to do, spend 4 or 5 days away from home every week; more so if you have a relatively young family. Some folk might appreciate the collegiate accommodation approach, others may feel they need a bit of space from workmates.

I'm glad they're minimising the expenses, as it would be a big stick they could be beaten with.

Not overly impressed with the seat nonsense. Dennis skinner is an absolute legend and definitely one of the good guys. I wasn't impressed with the opening speech either, with a shitey dig at the Lib Dems and Scottish labour.

I'd much prefer the 56 left the playground antics to the rest of Westminster and set about doing something different. Something better.

Hopefully things will improve.

Amazing. I was a bit worried about the "Forever" bit, but I can only assume that it will be Scotland's embassy in London once we achieve independence.

I like the Wee Ginger Dugs take on the last couple of days -

It’s because Dennis is a token rebel who changes nothing that he’s now the darling of the British right wing press. When the Daily Mail is leaping to his defence you know he’s no real threat to the established order but instead is a part of it. The British establishment is using Dennis as a stick to beat up on a group of MPs who really do threaten to change things. That’s a bit of a come down – from the Beast of Bolsover to the neutered pet of the Tory press.

Dennis Skinner sits on his front seat bench as a warning to the 56 SNP MPs. Dennis in his special place railing against the institution that has institutionalised him should act as a permanent reminder of the fate the SNP’s 56 need to avoid. They must not become co-opted and their protests ritualised and neutered. They must avoid becoming the tartan trimming in a Great British pageant. Westminster subverts those who seek to subvert it by demanding adherence to its rituals and its ancient traditions which were for the most part invented by Victorians in a fit of archaistic window dressing.

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/sitting-uncomfortably/

Bloody right 8)

It’s because Dennis is a token rebel who changes nothing that he’s now the darling of the British right wing press. When the Daily Mail is leaping to his defence you know he’s no real threat to the established order but instead is a part of it. The British establishment is using Dennis as a stick to beat up on a group of MPs who really do threaten to change things. That’s a bit of a come down – from the Beast of Bolsover to the neutered pet of the Tory press.

Dennis Skinner sits on his front seat bench as a warning to the 56 SNP MPs. Dennis in his special place railing against the institution that has institutionalised him should act as a permanent reminder of the fate the SNP’s 56 need to avoid. They must not become co-opted and their protests ritualised and neutered. They must avoid becoming the tartan trimming in a Great British pageant. Westminster subverts those who seek to subvert it by demanding adherence to its rituals and its ancient traditions which were for the most part invented by Victorians in a fit of archaistic window dressing.

Bloody right 8)

Gave you a red dot instead of a green one! Christ, posting on my iPhone is a nightmare.

I like Skinner, he's challenged the Labour establishment over many years. That said the WGD analysis seems spot on, far more insightful than some of the stuff on his site. Possibly one of the most concise critiques I've read about the challenge they face and how they must face it.

:thumsup2 trying to bully Dennis Skinner.

Suddenly the Guardian readers in Islington are not quite so fond of the neo nationalists.

Still there beloved conservative friends have some more austerity for everyone to help motivate people in a new referendum.

No matter how many people in England starve, it will be worth it.

Suddenly the Guardian readers in Islington are not quite so fond of the neo nationalists.

Still there beloved conservative friends have some more austerity for everyone to help motivate people in a new referendum.

No SNP votes put the Tories in. English people didn't believe the Labour party were offering something better, that's what put the Tories in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not actually sure if you're being serious here or not?

Bloody right 8)

Interesting article.

I agree with the take on Westminster and the way it works - but it's a cheap dig at skinner.

He's about 100 years old for christ sake. What is expected of him? He decided early on that the Labour party was for him so stuck with them when they gradually shifted to the right. That must've been a tough decision but he made it and stuck with, which in itself takes guts.

From that point he was a pain in the arse to many tory leaders as well as new labour ones. He's very respected in his constituency too - and has never been accused of feathering his own nest (when so many others clearly took that easy option).

Like I said earlier, I'd rather the snp went after the real problems.

Interesting article.

I agree with the take on Westminster and the way it works - but it's a cheap dig at skinner.

He's about 100 years old for christ sake. What is expected of him? He decided early on that the Labour party was for him so stuck with them when they gradually shifted to the right. That must've been a tough decision but he made it and stuck with, which in itself takes guts.

From that point he was a pain in the arse to many tory leaders as well as new labour ones. He's very respected in his constituency too - and has never been accused of feathering his own nest (when so many others clearly took that easy option).

If Dennis Skinner wants to keep his usual spot then he should play by the same rules as everybody else. Why should he have privileged status?

As a self styled "rebel" he seems to be more establishment than the establishment itself.

Anyway, didn't he vote for the 40% rule in the '79 referendum? F**k him.

Interesting article.

I didn't read as a dig at Skinner himself. I thought the point that was being made was that the opposition has been token whereas the SNP group will, hopefully, offer a more concerted force. As much as I admire Skinner the comment about him being institutionalised is not unreasonable; the fight needs to be fought in Westminster but also outwith it.

If Dennis Skinner wants to keep his usual spot then he should play by the same rules as everybody else. Why should he have privileged status?

As a self styled "rebel" he seems to be more establishment than the establishment itself.

What the f**k does that last sentence mean? I'm sorry but that looks like you're just repeating a line from the article above.

Dennis skinner does not in any way represent the British establishment.

I'd argue that his reputation for the last umpteen years in parliament should give him the privilege. He marks his seat every morning with a prayer card (as is the process). The opening of Parliament is more of a scramble as the rule doesn't apply. He's a very old man for f**k sake.

Interesting article.

Disagree. It shows a lack of principles. Putting their political party before people.

Skinner is sadly the epitome of the ever diminishing auld codgers shuffling around Scotland that blindly vote Labour because their parents did.

They do not realise, or far more likely refuse to accept, that the party they once belonged to is no more.

I didn't read as a dig at Skinner himself. I thought the point that was being made was that the opposition has been token whereas the SNP group will, hopefully, offer a more concerted force. As much as I admire Skinner the comment about him being institutionalised is not unreasonable; the fight needs to be fought in Westminster but also outwith it.

I agree and I'm pretty sure skinner would too.

But he's not become the part of the establishment.

Where was Skinners seat When Labour were in charge for 13 years?

Sums up political failure when you deem yourself to have a permanent reseved seat on the opposition benches!

Archived