Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure what I want to happen with Corbyn. On one hand, I'd quite like him to get the gig and do well because all his detractors - Tory press, right-wing Labour voters, tabloid media swallowing simpletons who say use words like "unelectable" - are collectively the absolute worstcunts in the world. JCo proving the haters wrong might be a good watch.

On the other hand, any of the other three guarantee Labour's continual failure and any hope of them staging a comeback (particularly in Scotland) remain in the bin. Which suits me fine.

Corbyn being elected would raise the possibility of a Labour party more receptive to forming an effective opposition in conjunction with parties like the Greens, Plaid and, of course, the SNP. Win/win, tbh.

Labour in Scotland will simply have to get used to their new status and see the SNP as natural allies, rather than rivals for the anti-Tory vote.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to the theory of a fortnight ago? Corbyn to win then ousted by a parliamentary coup by Christmas. That would be glorious IMO

Firstly, the PLP couldn't run a bath, which is precisely why it's in this situation in the first place. It is therefore desperately unlikely that it's going to have the cojones to instigate a coup. Bear in mind that the primary supporter of this idea is John McTernan, whose key talent is failure.

Secondly, it's important to consider what the opposition's response would be (other than to roll around laughing hysterically of course). If the Tories and their buddies at Fleet Street were given the chance, they'd abolish elections entirely. This is only good news if you're a McGlashanite UDI nutter.

Whatever happened to the theory of a fortnight ago? Corbyn to win then ousted by a parliamentary coup by Christmas. That would be glorious IMO

These are just intimidation tactics to get floating voters not to vote for him. In the event of a JC win, it's likely he'll have to make compromises with his polices by taking more center ground on the economy.

These are just intimidation tactics to get floating voters not to vote for him. In the event of a JC win, it's likely he'll have to make compromises with his polices by taking more center ground on the economy.

I'll be buying shares in popcorn to be on the safe side. This could run and run....

People who post about men being discriminated against are the same sort of idiots that think the Government hates white people and wants to ban Christmas, in my experience.

"People who post about the SNP being discriminated against in the UK media are the same sort of sweaty socks that think the Government hates Scottish people and wants to ban bagpipes, in my experience."

:o

If he doesn't own at least one plastic skull I'll be gobsmacked.

I'd lay odds he's had a messy divorce and his wife was given custody.

Personal attacks, downvotes, but can't supply any basis or sources. It's almost like folk are regurgitating dogma from media headlines and feminist advocacy groups :o

Chris Leslie throws his toys across the nursery...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33756608

Shadow Chancellor Chris Leslie has said he would not serve under Jeremy Corbyn if he becomes Labour leader.

He told the BBC Labour would "not be the party I joined" if Mr Corbyn won in September and the party needed a "credible" alternative prime minister.

Mr Corbyn, who has the most nominations from constituency Labour parties, is to detail more of his policies this week.

He will reportedly spell out a plan to end "political and economic austerity" by 2020 through higher public spending.

The Guardian said Mr Corbyn was expected to elaborate on his plans for a fairer Britain and a more highly-skilled workforce through the "sound economics of public investment".

The leadership contest - in which Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall are also standing - has been turned on its head by the performance of Mr Corbyn, the veteran left-wing MP who only got enough nominations from MPs after a number who did not back him decided to nominate him to "broaden debate" during the contest.

He has topped two early opinion polls and won the backing of four major unions but his growing popularity has prompted a backlash from senior figures in the party, ranging from Tony Blair to Lord Kinnock.

Mr Leslie, who became shadow chancellor in the wake of May's election defeat, said the leadership contest was a "fork in the road" for the opposition and that the party faced a decade out of power if Mr Corbyn prevailed.

'Economic credibility'

Mr Leslie said there was a yearning within Labour for "big, bold" solutions but Mr Corbyn's policy of a so-called "people's quantitative easing" risked creating higher inflation and interest rates, placing a financial burden on poorer people.

"Some of the solutions offered on the hard-left are not all that they are cracked up to be," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "In fact, they risk hurting some of the most poor, vulnerable and those on the lowest incomes."

Economic credibility "wasn't just about winning elections", he said, but "making sure you can say where the money is coming from for those better public services".

Mr Leslie, who was closely involved in shaping Labour's economic policy under Ed Miliband, said "on principle" he did not think he could serve in a shadow cabinet under Mr Corbyn although he vowed to remain in the party.

"It would be a very different political party (if Mr Corbyn won)," he argued. "It would not be the party I joined."

Mr Corbyn has said he will reintroduce elections for the shadow cabinet, which were scrapped by Mr Miliband. This means all MPs will have to decide whether to put themselves forward.

Ballot papers for the leadership election will be sent out on 14 August, with the result announced on 12 September.

Who the f**k is shadow chancellor Chris Leslie?

A Labour MP. From one of the Nottingham constituencies I believe.

Though you'd never know it, spouting this pish:

"Some of the solutions offered on the hard-left are not all that they are cracked up to be," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "In fact, they risk hurting some of the most poor, vulnerable and those on the lowest incomes."

ETA: Leslie cares about the poor and vulnerable so much he abstained on the welfare bill vote.

ETA: Leslie cares about the poor and vulnerable so much he abstained on the welfare bill vote.

Actions don't reveal ones intentions.

I've genuinely never heard of this guy. I'm assuming he was parachuted in at a moment's notice when the last shadow chancellor embarrassingly lost his seat?

Archived